Arwen

Anderzander

How has everyone got on with the storm? 

I’ve been fortunate - the 80” is having to live outside whilst the garage is being built, and I found some big timbers and roofing sheets had come down within feet of it - but it looks fine. 

I’ve lost a couple of fence panels and it’s brought a small tree down on my other garage - it his the chimney for my stove, so never hit the garage roof. Though quite spectacularly it levered the stove up and shoved it into the wall inside. No mean feat, as it’s a pretty bloody heavy cast thing.

Daughter #2 and family stayed west of Durham last night at a pre arranged group house party. Nothing heard since arrival / no WhatsApp deliveries.

Daughter #1 and family live in Buxton and had no power since overnight with plenty of snow and trees down.

We have snow and an odd tree down around here.

Quite a storm but still doesn’t compare with 1987 when I worked overnight near Abingdon, through the hurricane 

• Like 1

Didn't get a photo of the trampoline mating with the Passat... Or the slates (formerly) on the roof making the wifes Golf look like its gone thro a crusher or the wheelie bin taking up residence on the garage roof. Twas not a pleasant night, we had gusts in excess of 90mph.  Odd thing is, we never had a power outage, normally if a pheasant breaks wind the power goes out....Forgot to add, the axle in front of the blue landrover was , yesterday, on axle stands at the side of the landrover, so that felt the need to wander round the garden.

Edited by JeffR

We had an 11 hour power cut - but overnight so we were oblivious to most of it. The remains of the kids trampoline are on top of next doors sheds, but that's it for damage. Can't see any damage to the sheds, but it's still too windy to get the trampoline off them. It's never moved before, been there for years (we inherited it with the house), but the new neighbours removed a row of overgrown leylandii when they put the sheds in - I guess they sheltered the trampoline enough.

Time for some ground anchors when we get a replacement...

Interesting about the hedge - I’ve had some big storms here before and it’s never affected the tree enough to coming anywhere near taking my chimney out… the only thing that is different is my neighbour has put a massive fence in. It’s like Colditz, and I wonder if that’s funnelled the wind. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

4 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

My Buxton family gave up this afternoon, with no idea when their power will be restored. They dug themselves out and have come to stay here. Winyter tyres on their vehicle but not really needed now.

Have you heard from daughter #2 ? 

We had an inch of snow first thing, but it soon melted in the drizzle that followed.

The wind was very loud and during the night and this morning there were a few trees down, one of which is just opposite the path that the littl’un takes on her way to school.

It is fortunate that I have mats with raised edges in the 110 TD5 because the mat on the driver’s side was near to overflowing! 

4950350A-A088-49B9-ACAB-4C3005540596.jpeg

Picked this week to put a new roof on my shed, started last w/e - all calm. Put the membrane on on friday, looked like most of the wind was missing us, so not so worried. Woke up sat morning with all the membrane ripped off.
Spent sat morning fighting with it between gusts, and getting the 3.5m roof sheets on again in between gusts. Early warning was me hearing when the tree 100m away started catching the wind, down tools.

15 hours ago, smallfry said:

Got some more kin expensive petrol for the chainsaw, fitted a new chain ready to score some logs, but nothing much here in North Kent. Windy and some sleet and rain, but thats all, up to now.

There will be plenty logs in my garden.....