Arwen

Anderzander

On 11/28/2021 at 5:47 PM, Peaklander said:

My view late this afternoon. We are quite low compared to others in the Peak District. It has been a fair old dump for late November in a northerly which usually brings clear cold weather. 

Its been 11 degrees down here in North Kent this aft !

We had an inch of snow, very mild on the M40 but drivers stamping their brakes and hazards on down to 40mph. If it was rain they wouldn't of batted an eyelid.

God knows what December will be like.

That's what I love about the UK. Rain **** crash, snow **** crash, sun **** crash!

On 11/27/2021 at 1:47 PM, JeffR said:

we had gusts in excess of 90mph

Shows how different bits of the country get affected. 90mph is pretty common down here so most of the trees tend to survive that kind of wind speed with relative ease. The killer here recently has been overgrown ivy and ash dieback has been the cause of most bits of damage.

The difference this time though was the direction of the wind. We rarely get a 90mph storm from the north.

Here whist windy, it was the snow and then ice that caused the trouble. My 95yr old father-in-law is still waiting for Openreach to come and reconnect him. The cable from house to pole was pulled down. Ours was coated in several cms of ice but fortunately it fell off before the cable. 

• 3 months later...

20220306_160635.thumb.jpg.b7b63be5711facc97c67bfaf91e37668.jpgIn my best Davidi Attenborough voice....."as the Landrover slowly emerged from its tree....."  A full days work (did you know that it is entirely possible to use a chainsaw one handed, yes adrenaline is brown and smelly) we got the bugger out of the tree or rather the tree off the landrover.....

Damage assessment

slightly dented roof just behind the alpine window, repaired in two minutes with a suction puller! Amazed that the sunroof wasn't in a million pieces,  Perhaps the motoring gods do love me after all

• Like 4

On 3/6/2022 at 8:15 PM, western said:

Wonder how long to get it resembling clean. 

Going to wait till it rains - softens up the green crud so pressure washer stands a chance!  Hopefully temp will rise shortly so I can get new rear crossmember burned on, wife getting a wee bit peeved with a crossmember taking up permanent residence in the spare bedroom.