Nice camper, but .......

smallfry

15 hours ago, deep said:

I doubt that overhang would be legal here.

I think I've seen that those school buses are specially designed so that when some idiot ploughs in the back of them, they go under the back & the kids are safe. No idea if that's why it's so long.

10 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I think I've seen that those school buses are specially designed so that when some idiot ploughs in the back of them, they go under the back & the kids are safe. No idea if that's why it's so long.

The length is also likely to just be a product of the environment they’re built for. Wheelbase is probably something vaguely ‘stock’ and they just add the length to get the seating capacity. They’ve got the room to mostly not care about the rear swing. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, miketomcat said:

To be fair it's does look quite funky but it's not really practical.

I reckon it's no less stupid than half of the "ULTIMATE OVERLANDER" builds you see spaffed across the internet, and a hell of a lot cheaper! Probably go just as far as they ever do, too :ph34r:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I reckon it's no less stupid than half of the "ULTIMATE OVERLANDER" builds you see spaffed across the internet, and a hell of a lot cheaper! Probably go just as far as they ever do, too :ph34r:

I quite agree, I spent many years with my girlfriend at the time camping in a mini Marcos/jem. I reckon the smart has more room :blink:.

Mike

• Like 2

That is a nice build! Not rational, but certainly fun and could even have its use.

I don't think he needed to bother with the cage. I recall the Smart has an incredible stiff inner frame, necessary to pass crash tests. Didn't the doors still open after a frontal impact at 50mph or something? So just mount the tent to the standard roof frame, saves weight and height.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Escape said:

That is a nice build! Not rational, but certainly fun and could even have its use.

I don't think he needed to bother with the cage. I recall the Smart has an incredible stiff inner frame, necessary to pass crash tests. Didn't the doors still open after a frontal impact at 50mph or something? So just mount the tent to the standard roof frame, saves weight and height.

I remember 5th gear doing a crash test with one.... and it survived whole but I think the consensus was that the car would outlive the occupants in a big enough impact.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I remember 5th gear doing a crash test with one.... and it survived whole but I think the consensus was that the car would outlive the occupants in a big enough impact.

Yeah that was because 5th gear being the idiots they are crashed it really fast head-on into a solid concrete barrier so they could get spectacular footage, resulting in a deceleration that would almost automatically be deadly to any human in quite a lot of cars.

A bit like when the wrecked a couple of early classic Range Rovers to prove that you can roll one over if you try hard enough, under the pretence of some sort of vague consumer safety message about SUV's :glare:

• Like 1

Similar mindset when it came to testing the roll stability of Reliant three wheelers, or standard caravans, 'lets destroy it'!
What's the correct word - childish, juvenile, immature?

They proved without a doubt that there is always a dark side to anything of quality, it's just that most people apply a filter on their public behaviour.

Regards.

33 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

A bit like when the wrecked a couple of early classic Range Rovers to prove that you can roll one over if you try hard enough, under the pretence of some sort of vague consumer safety message about SUV's :glare:

Wasn't that the 'Elk' test?

1 minute ago, Snagger said:

Fifth Gear was a disgracefully dishonest programme presented almost exclusively by unwatchable bores.  Vicky came over better than the others - at least she seemed to have a pulse.

I'd say it was still more of an automotive show than what Top Gear had become by that time (as amusing as their format can be).

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Yup, or Moose test, the Merc A class was one of the first to catastrophically fail it.

Double cab pick ups really don't like it nowadays either.

Twenty or so years ago, I did an advanced driver training course as a work requirement.  My work car at the time was a (dreadful) Toyota 4WD crew cab.  When we did the elk test, I think I scared the instructor as the car lurched heavily and lifted a wheel.  I wasn't too bothered.  Lifting a wheel was a regular part of fast driving on winding roads...

10 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Pretty sure that bit of film is on youtube

2 hours ago, deep said:

Twenty or so years ago, I did an advanced driver training course as a work requirement.  My work car at the time was a (dreadful) Toyota 4WD crew cab.  When we did the elk test, I think I scared the instructor as the car lurched heavily and lifted a wheel.  I wasn't too bothered.  Lifting a wheel was a regular part of fast driving on winding roads...

My father did some testing somewhere around the same time following a number of accidents in their fleet involving Mitsubishi pickups on double bends. They thought it was excessive speed until one of their own team rolled one at what he swore was a very slow speed.

They set up a course in one of their yards, and started out at what they expected to be well below a dangerous speed - 20mph or so, I think. Dad was driving, and just managed to pull it out of the roll. They abandoned working up to higher speeds...

The fix for them turned out to be filling the tool boxes they had mounted under the back with concrete which improved the weight distribution. I believe Mitsubishi moved the rear axle or something on the subsequent version which massively improved it.

• Sad 1

On 11/2/2022 at 9:13 AM, geoffbeaumont said:

My father did some testing somewhere around the same time following a number of accidents in their fleet involving Mitsubishi pickups on double bends. They thought it was excessive speed until one of their own team rolled one at what he swore was a very slow speed.

They set up a course in one of their yards, and started out at what they expected to be well below a dangerous speed - 20mph or so, I think. Dad was driving, and just managed to pull it out of the roll. They abandoned working up to higher speeds...

The fix for them turned out to be filling the tool boxes they had mounted under the back with concrete which improved the weight distribution. I believe Mitsubishi moved the rear axle or something on the subsequent version which massively improved it.

High centre of gravity, forward centre of mass, mismatched front and rear suspension and otherwise crude dynamics - many, if not most, 4WD crew cabs are not designed to have great dynamics.  The Toyota in question was lifting a wheel at exactly that sort of speed.  By the target speed of (I think) 65 k.p.h., I'd have been amazed if it hadn't flipped.

That's fine if it's a work truck and you drive it accordingly.  Worse as a top-heavy camper but, in that case, you'd feel the danger and tip toe around it.  Unfortunately, they are immensely popular around here as a family car, with people believing they are "safe" (only ever a relative thing, to be fair).  Dodging a kid in a suburb at legal speeds would be frightening.  Really, I am amazed a lot more don't tip over.  Though a lot do...