Nice camper, but .......

smallfry

SimonR’s X-Deflex would be stiff enough to give significant help, but the tyres are still going to compress a lot.  It’d really need a similar stiff front anti roll bar and perhaps some (eughhh) 18”rims with lower profile tyres to cope.

• Haha 1

I did a driving course for some of the RAF lads down at RNAS Yeovilton, back awhile. They were driving 130's with single cabs and long quadtech bodies on. Full of electronic jamming kit. Then on the cab roof was a roof basket with 250kgs of mast sections, for the telescopic mast mounted on the back. I was working for LRE at the time, so using their site. I will admit to chickening out on the track up to the site!  Truly awful and blooming dangerous. In my report to their CO, I recommended that they never go off the runway...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Snagger said:

SimonR’s X-Deflex would be stiff enough to give significant help, but the tyres are still going to compress a lot.  It’d really need a similar stiff front anti roll bar and perhaps some (eughhh) 18”rims with lower profile tyres to cope.

I found that making everything stiffer doesn't help beyond a certain point, physics wants it to tip over so all you're doing is moving the lean from the suspension to the tyres, when that runs out you are going to lift a wheel / tip over instead.

The 127 handles a lot better since we softened the springs, sure it may lean a tad more but it does it on the springs in a controlled manner rather than being stiffer and feeling like a bump halfway round a corner could destabilise the vehicle and bounce you onto 2 wheels.

If you want it to actually be less tippy, removing weight from high up / adding weight low-down is about all you can do - we've minimised it as far as possible but it's never going to handle like an MX5. Interestingly the 109 actually does feel like a sports car by comparison as it has weight low-down and much wider track even though it's still a tall vehicle.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

Then I think you'd be into the realms of bending the arms. @TJN did on his 130.

The problem with lean in the suspension is it will move the CoG to the outside and possibly up, more so if the CoG is significantly higher than the axles or roll center. So while I agree it isn't a problem in itself and gives better damping control and feel, it will reduce traction. Rolling from one side to the other can be quite interesting during a series of opposing bends as well because the weight is constantly shifting side to side. Clearly illustrated when you see a Mini tackle the same corners as a 2CV on a classic car run. :driving:

• Like 1

On 9/16/2022 at 7:57 PM, western said:

I've seen 2cv racing at brands hatch, the lean in the corners is scarey, wouldn't want to be on the inside. 

Friend crews for one that does endurance racing! Hilarious things to watch. 

On 9/16/2022 at 7:41 PM, geoffbeaumont said:

I've never driven one, but used to have a friend who's girlfriend drove one. He reckoned you went nowhere fast in it, but you always had a lot of fun getting there.

Chris Harris and Andrew Frankel have them and love them to pieces. And they’ve driven some nice metal. 

9 hours ago, reb78 said:

Ah. Excellent. Well on topic then. Lets see if they all get ripped to bits on this thread too.... :)

They're too small.
They'll never make it uphill.
They're always overloaded.
They're French so you need metric tools.
They're aircooled so you'll need a fuel burning heater all the time.
They're too top heavy and soft sprung so they'll tip over. And little kittens will die.

How's that for starters? 😈

Not really a fan, don't mind seeing them around but wouldn't want to drive one.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Better than working on a P38 engine where you need metric and imperial with different threads present even on the same casting(!)

Not the mention the studs that are metric thread on one side and imperial on the other. 😉

• Like 2