Testing New Forum Works

15 minutes ago, Hybrid_From_Hell said:

Yup Swepco oil is quite amazing !

I use it myself now right after watching that video !

mark is the UK importer his website is 

https://www.is4x4.co.uk/#/

give him a ring lovely chap and hugely knowledgable 

Website not working for me, loads up but unable to shop, will ring him later, thank you regards Stephen

1 hour ago, elbekko said:

Feels a bit double for me, yes. It's good technical information on one hand, but on the other hand it's all videos from Nige's business...

The videos are supplied by Nige, Yes but not as adverts for his business, he is happy to share & they are here as a tech about all the different types of LR diffs that are on the various models, 

All of this info has been ratified by the LR4X4 Management & been given the all clear, 

If you need to contact Nige about a diff problem then do so via his website or PM on this forum. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Website not working for me, loads up but unable to shop, will ring him later, thank you regards Stephen

One bit of advice.

Do not get this on your hands.

It took me bloody ages to get it off, sticky fingers for yonks, .........then again if you have dry skin or chapped hands ........... :rofl:

Whilst they are all from Nige currently, we're wanting the section to grow and they will just be there for reference amongst others eventually. He is busy enough so isn't looking for any more work. Whilst it might gain him work, so would a video posted in the video forum by a 3rd party. Lets make this the No.1 forum for diff tech. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Whilst they are all from Nige currently, we're wanting the section to grow and they will just be there for reference amongst others eventually. He is busy enough so isn't looking for any more work. Whilst it might gain him work, so would a video posted in the video forum by a 3rd party. Lets make this the No.1 forum for diff tech. 

This sums up my views and opinions too.
I have been an admin of LR4x4 pretty much since we started the place years ago. I remain a supporter of its original purpose and ethos, rest assured the A&M team discussed the idea of this new section over an extended period. A lot of effort was spent setting it up prior to launching it. We hope the results will be of interest and benefit to the users of this forum - for that was our only aim. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Since before I joined there have been sub-fora for specific vehicles and various other niche topics.  I feel that this sub-forum could be expanded to cover the entire transmission, ie everything behind the flywheel.  I'm sure this option would have been discussed by the admin team, and obviously discarded, but I'm interest to know the reasoning.

Mike

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2022 at 5:26 PM, Troll Hunter said:

Since before I joined there have been sub-fora for specific vehicles and various other niche topics.  I feel that this sub-forum could be expanded to cover the entire transmission, ie everything behind the flywheel.  I'm sure this option would have been discussed by the admin team, and obviously discarded, but I'm interest to know the reasoning.

Mike

No response from Mods or Admin, why not?  What was the logic?  It's not just the axle components that affect drivability it's wheel/tyre size, over/under drive, t-box rations and gearbox ratios.  All these have to be considered when deciding on axle components.  Surely, this new sub-forum should look at Transmission as a whole.

Mike

I’d rather see a separate forum for transmissions, one for engines, one for steering, and maybe even more for brakes and suspension - those systems are all pretty generic across various models (the same coil sprung system, brakes and steering used on RRC, Defender, Discovery 1, the same systems used on RRS and D3&4, D5 and Pretender and so on), and of course there is a lot of conversion and retrofit, so it is often not a vehicle specific but system specific question being asked.

Granted, that can seem unwieldy at first glance on the home page, but I think it’d generally be easier for us to use.  This specific forum is already seeing a lot of use, and I’m sure other system specific forums would too - a question about diffs is not often Defender or Discovery specific, and nor is a typical question or comment about a V8, Tdi, R380 and alike.

5 hours ago, Gazzar said:

An overdrive forum! Yes!

In fairness, there have been quite a few discussions about overdrives in the last couple of years.  Is there any difference in the Fairey fitted to a SI, II or III?  Or one fitted to a Stage 1, 101 or early Range Rover?  So, would a forum for those be a better location than in the Series, Range Rover or Military forums?  I thinks so!

I can't speak for the admin team but one land rover forum I was on years ago died when it tried to split everything out.

While it can give the appearance of more resources and a wider range of technical discussion, all it ends up doing is diluting what discussion was already happening anyway. It actually makes the forum look dead when you see there are only five topics under one heading, for example.

Besides, most of the time when a forum has been running as long as this, you end up using the search function to find those discussions anyway. Scrolling hundreds of subsections just makes it unwieldy.

Perhaps the best way is to continue to put the thread under the one for the vehicle that is most appropriate and use the tag functionality to label it as transmission related.

It turns out there's no substitute to active members having lively debates.... perhaps like this one?

• Like 2