MOG LR hybrid axle build

19 minutes ago, TD5toV8110 said:

I always thought the pitch was the distance between the "peaks" of the thread rather than the depth of the "troughs"🤔

Cheers

Dave

it is , it seems it just turned out to be the right size for drilling as well 

(a very long time ago they teached me to be a certified metal worker , and nobody ever mentioned this in school ... we just used charts to look up the right size to drill )

IIRC metric threads are “square” so they are as deep as they are wide. But I may be miss remembering 

in other news, I have just purchased a new(to me) drill so tapping and other drill activities will be a lot easier and I don’t have to use/borrow other people’s stuff.

IMG_5518.thumb.jpeg.ce72576b8a4556778b68fb0ccad4c5d5.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, dangerous doug said:

Unfortunately it isn’t BUT those are both for sale aswel if your interested😂

I already have a shaper, also expecting a bench top surface grinder shortly, full size surface grinder would be nice, I just don't have the floor space. I don't have decent slip rolls, a future build at some point. Nice to know they are for sale though

Regards Stephen

14 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

I just don't have the floor space

That's the kicker - I'm in the same boat, I could afford to buy several nice tools but it's kind of "one in one out" now - the drill press got sold to make way for the milling machine, luckily it can do double duty.

Anyone know how I can fabricate more floor space inside the workshop in a Dr Who style? :lol:

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

That's the kicker - I'm in the same boat, I could afford to buy several nice tools but it's kind of "one in one out" now - the drill press got sold to make way for the milling machine, luckily it can do double duty.

Anyone know how I can fabricate more floor space inside the workshop in a Dr Who style? :lol:

It's a shame you can't use the walls and ceiling space as 'floor space' and somehow turn gravity off........

2 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Colin Furze has been releasing some interesting videos on the subject :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, elbekko said:

Colin Furze has been releasing some interesting videos on the subject :lol:

It's very tempting but I know how much it costs to have tonnes of spoil taken away if you're not good mates with a farmer with a JCB, would be cheaper to move house!

8 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

It's very tempting but I know how much it costs to have tonnes of spoil taken away if you're not good mates with a farmer with a JCB, would be cheaper to move house!

Approx 200 for a 20 ton load if you load yourself. 220 ish for a 16 ton load with a grab.

So not that bad - get digging!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

...and if you have to pay someone to do the whole (hole) job?

Also pretty sure there's more than one sewer pipe running under the garden & garage, all too old to be documented of course!

220 for a 16 tonner with a grab which loads itself

34 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Little bit more expensive up this way (£270+ vat for my local chap). The trouble is how quickly it adds up! 

I dug 26t out of here widening the parents drive! And it doesn’t look like much of a hole! 

IMG_8799.thumb.jpeg.dc12e8e25501b0eff4fe0ae1068b244a.jpeg

It is easy to have a scrape about and end up with a few ton! 

Well it’s in and running. EBay VFD just about works and I managed to find a tapmatic 70x for ok money so as soon as everything’s together we’ll see some progress. 

0F3C62C2-3673-47BF-AD8A-11358CDE4C27.thumb.jpeg.e64010715e0bb4dca655c25bc90f2ae8.jpeg

8F043CFA-DD40-495B-99E9-D5EF0678712C.thumb.jpeg.5187bf2630aefd2cfea8a3809845542e.jpeg

hubs are all tapped and I started cutting bolts down for studs so we’re getting there.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

On it today, I do t normally do mid day posts but have a question for the masses. I’m Currently flipping the diffs, got a jig laser cut from a guy on the facebook and it’s spot on however 4 holes overlap. Am I better off welding these holes first or trying to drill half a hole out, weld it then put the drill through again. I’m not bothered about drilling weld but I am worried that the drill bit could deflect off into the softer material. Thoughts?

IMG_5979.thumb.jpeg.94186403b44b53c36429f50f41e7befe.jpeg
IMG_5980.thumb.jpeg.241ce7811e788e5f130bf04fa197f879.jpeg

That looks to be about 6mm plate, you could drill it out to a larger diameter say 16/20 mm then weld a disc in, then re-drill the holes without the concerns of drilling through a hardened section of weld, also you could tap your original hole to a suitable size, screw a bolt in, flush it off both sides, drill it out and then weld the remaining piece of flushed bolt in and flatten off leaving the hole in the right place

regards Stephen

4 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

That looks to be about 6mm plate, you could drill it out to a larger diameter say 16/20 mm then weld a disc in, then re-drill the holes without the concerns of drilling through a hardened section of weld, also you could tap your original hole to a suitable size, screw a bolt in, flush it off both sides, drill it out and then weld the remaining piece of flushed bolt in and flatten off leaving the hole in the right place

regards Stephen

This is why I love this forum, there me over thinking something and someone comes in with a simpler neater way of doing it. I have just bought a set of annular cutters and the arbour to run them, which will cut the hole out nicely and then use the puck from a bigger cutter to fill in the blank💪

so diffs are flipped, and a few other things done but the photos arnt showing for some reason….all I’m seeing are black squaresIMG_5973.thumb.jpeg.96f0ba249308a111f0d185bf95021541.jpeg

seems to only be landscape ones, I’ve never had this issue before. once I’ve figured it out I’ll upload more but the front axle is almost fully assembled(minus shafts and brake calipers

….Friends being funny
IMG_5985.thumb.jpeg.1a5bbe839a81f7ef4a53696639faaafe.jpeg

if anyone can help me with a set of studs and nuts for the diffs I would really appreciate it. I would normally just buy new but they are enough to buy I considered tapping out the housing and just using bolts! It’s the principal I tells you!

IMG_5987.thumb.jpeg.0848480e0adba564f92f841c89b1eeb1.jpeg

until photos are fixed