Tyres (this can only go well)

vulcan bomber

So, My 110 needs new tyres, Ive just worn out a set of Cooper STT muds, i've been very happy with them and the plan was to just replace them with a set of the newer Cooper STT pro Muds but given there around £220 a corner Ive had a bit of a look around. At around £125 a corner are the Radar Renegade R/T muds, they look the part but has anyone any experiance of these? Any others worth looking at? (not BFGs!!!!)

I got these Falken tyres last year. They are no more noisy really than the BFG ATs that I had before but they were very competitively priced at about £130 each fitted. This was cheaper than supply only from some places.

They have been good in snow and I recently found out that they are good in mud. They are very sure footed on wet roads too.

IMG_7848.thumb.jpeg.a0c5834c1d970a2ae8de7526e5b929cf.jpeg 

IMG_7849.thumb.jpeg.9711295df20bbb744c7a2ca496a3deff.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

I think the Radar are retreads, in case that bothers you. 

Remoulds or retreads?  The former are generally ok, though typically have soft compounds and wear fast.  The latter are bloody dangerous, and I thought were illegal in most western nations.

1 hour ago, Peaklander said:

I got these Falken tyres last year. They are no more noisy really than the BFG ATs that I had before but they were very competitively priced at about £130 each fitted. This was cheaper than supply only from some places.

They have been good in snow and I recently found out that they are good in mud. They are very sure footed on wet roads too.

IMG_7848.thumb.jpeg.a0c5834c1d970a2ae8de7526e5b929cf.jpeg 

IMG_7849.thumb.jpeg.9711295df20bbb744c7a2ca496a3deff.jpeg

I seem to recall David being fond of Falken too.

Vulcan, can I ask why you are excluding BFG?  Not a conflict of opinion but a genuine query as I haven’t bought any in well over a decade and things do change.

5 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Remoulds or retreads?  The former are generally ok, though typically have soft compounds and wear fast.  The latter are bloody dangerous, and I thought were illegal in most western nations.

Retreads are how many remould, including Insa, are called these days. 

4 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Retreads are how many remould, including Insa, are called these days. 

Oh.  Hadn’t heard them called that.  What I see as retreads are what gets done mainly to commercial vehicle, especially HGV, tyres in the third world, where they glue on a strip of new tread over a shaved tyre.  They shed the replacement treads in large chunks all the time and blow out quite often.  It’s a terrible idea.  The stuff we see in Europe tends to be prepared and carefully inspected carcasses with a new tread and outer sidewall layer literally hot moulded on like in the original manufacture, hence the term remould.  Quite misleading for them to also be termed retread.

Duckworths were selling 5 boost wheels plus continentals cross contacts for £600  almost new, take offs  Im sure one could recoup a lot of the money on selling on the wheels. 

15 minutes ago, Snagger said:

Vulcan, can I ask why you are excluding BFG?  Not a conflict of opinion but a genuine query as I haven’t bought any in well over a decade and things do change.

I suspect it's due to the staggering price of them now. I like bfg but doubt I'll be buying some come replacement for this reason.

Mike

1 hour ago, Snagger said:

I seem to recall David being fond of Falken too.

There an obnoxious amount of money and I find them very very skiddy and deathy on the road 

I had Radar tyres on a Freelander 1 I had a few years ago. They were more road biased, but I dont remember any problems with them, except that they seemed to wear quickly.

I don't think they were remoulds or retreads.

4 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

Just fitted a set of 255/85/16 toyos to my 110, weren't that dear but looking online seem to be about the 150 mark, 

If anyone is interested,  I have a set of BfGoodrich km2 in 255/85/16 I'm selling 

Any pics of your new 255s? I'm looking at 285s again but would entertain 255s.

5 hours ago, RedLineMike said:

Just fitted a set of 255/85/16 toyos to my 110, weren't that dear but looking online seem to be about the 150 mark, 

You prompted me to look again and it looks like they’ve come down again ! 

Perhaps I saw a supply issue and the prices spiked accordingly.

https://tyresdirectuk.co.uk/products/255-85r16-119p-toyo-open-country-m-t

1 hour ago, ThreePointFive said:

Was it the Toyos that were found to be either really noisy or had incredibly stiff sidewalls? How are you finding them?

You photo makes me reget not buying a 110 DC as the coolest LR ever made.

I've found the toyos quieter than the bfg, but they do have stiff sidewalls

So far for the 30 miles I've done I do like them, about to do the nc500 in 2 weeks so can report back after that 🤣

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ed Poore said:

Everyone needs to be getting on @Jon W's case he sourced me a set of new 285 KM3s for about half the price they're retailing for.

BreeFGoodlich? 😉😂

That does sound like a great deal, though.  I imagine tyre prices move quite a lot with the price of oil, given how much goes into them, so any saving you can get when oil is up is a huge benefit.

Don't think I will be getting anymore BFG as supply has dried up. I have one set left at the moment but they are provisionally sold and just awaiting collection. 

I have found the new bfg very quiet, but they do get noiser with wear and age I find. 

I opted for the Goodyear Wrangler Adventure AT. I’ve stuck with Goodyear for a few years now buying them for a number of different vehicles. 

They’re not overly aggressive, quiet, grippy in the wet and seem to wear well.

On 4/16/2023 at 8:29 PM, RedLineMike said:

I've found the toyos quieter than the bfg, but they do have stiff sidewalls

So far for the 30 miles I've done I do like them, about to do the nc500 in 2 weeks so can report back after that 🤣

After my BFG’s were slashed I rather like the idea of a tougher sidewall !