Spotlamps & cooling

mbm

Hi all,

I am considering to fit to my RR 200Tdi a pair of Hella Rallye 1000 (18cm diameter) and a pair of Hella Comet 500 (16 cm diameter).
My question is if this can compromise air flow to intercooler and radiator.

Here temperatures very often are over 35º C.

Regards

Mario

Yes, anything you place in front of the radiator will have an effect on flow. If everything is in good order, that shouldn't be a problem though. Vehicles with aircon also have compromised air flow and when the aircon is running it will even heat the air before it reaches the engine radiator and intercooler.

You could ask yourself why you need or want 4 big spotlights. There are plenty of (cheap) LED options that will give all the light you could ever want with a much smaller footprint.

• Like 2

Yes, it will affect the cooling.

Yes, LEDs will give more light for less current

The Tdi loves good cooling - we live in FR and it also gets hot here and the Tdi's sure feel that when you have good measuring equipment.

I'd suggest to adjust speed to vision if possible.

Thanks for your input.

1. Leds are not the "correct" ones.

2. I have the spotlights.

3. 120 Amp alternator fitted, no current problems.

4. I have aircon...

5. No doubt that airflow wil be compromised.

I´ll try this next month in Morocco, if needed I´ll unistall it.

All the best.

Mario

2 hours ago, Chicken Drumstick said:

Curious, but does anyone have any proof or referenceable docs that spot lights do restrict airflow? Surely there would still be a big air gap behind the lamps for air to be drawn in?

I'm sure that was something to do with LR dropping the previous factory option spot lights on the original defender. 

14 hours ago, mbm said:

Thanks for your input.

1. Leds are not the "correct" ones.

2. I have the spotlights.

3. 120 Amp alternator fitted, no current problems.

4. I have aircon...

5. No doubt that airflow wil be compromised.

I´ll try this next month in Morocco, if needed I´ll unistall it.

All the best.

Mario

Do you still have a switched live feed to the headlamps, if so change it to relay feed, that way you will get full 12v plus feed to the lamp

A 120 amp alternator just gives you more parasitic loss on the engine - a 65 amp alternator is fine for a twin battery system

• Like 1

What do you mean by “LEDs are not the correct ones”?   You can fit H4 LEDs to the headlamps for more light, or just some higher output halogen H4 bulbs, and likewise the Hella lamps in the spoiler.  There shouldn’t be much need for additional lamps on the bumper.  However, if you have no front spoiler and don’t want to fit lamps under the bumper, then some small LED units mounted on the bumper just inboard of the headlights or a thin light bar should not have significant effects on cooling and would also have minimal current draw vs light output.

The suggestion to fit relays for the headlights is a good one - not only does it provide better power to the bulbs and significant light improvement, but it also saves your switches.

• Like 1

If the guy wants big spotlamps to look cool then let him fit them, some of the really good ones are still hard to beat with LED's and from what I've seen the LED market is flooded with junk that lies massively about its specs.

19 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

A 120 amp alternator just gives you more parasitic loss on the engine - a 65 amp alternator is fine for a twin battery system

Not by a significant amount, and it depends on OP's setup - if he's got electric fans and/or a heated screen etc. it can get a bit marginal with a 65A alternator if you're got lights & wipers & heater going in winter.

• Like 1

John, you and Bowie have better understanding if such things than I do: the drag of a high capacity alternator is proportional to the actual output, isn’t it, rather than the rated output?  I ask because I did a swap with a forum member early in the year, his 400A unit for me to supply a new standard unit from one of the online suppliers.  That was way bigger than the 100a I had been planning to fit at some point, and way more than I need, but since I now have it, will it be too much of a burden on the engine even when the load is light?  I thought the resistance on the belt and engine were about the same as a 65a unit when also providing a small output to charged batteries and little other load, the turning load matching the power being output.  Is that roughly right, or completely wrong?

• Like 2

I think you've got it - a larger alternator will likely have a slightly heavier rotating mass for the belt to drive but other than that, the load on the engine is proportional to the electrical output being demanded of the alternator at any given time.

Notably a lot of modern cars have free wheeling clutches on the alternators, presumably to smooth out changes in engine speed and give the belt an easier time.

• Like 2

Thanks, John, glad I had that right.  This alternator is little larger than the one in my RRC, so shouldn’t have too much extra mass, and once that is up to speed, and that only makes a difference when the engine rpm changes.  On the plus side, so much extra capacity should charge the batteries in moments and allow the winch to be used without draining the batteries much at all.  I even have plenty of cable as I intend to move the batteries from the rear tool box behind the back left wheel to under each foot well, between front tanks and bulkhead outriggers.

Sorry for the thread drift.  Back on original topic, my 109 doesn’t have any trouble keeping its Tdi cool with a Camel Trophy inspired bullbar, lighting and winch arrangement, the principal difference being my Warn 9000i winch using a bikini mount and having a solenoid bridge above the drum, so blocking even more ram air than the true CT arrangement.  Even relying on a cheap electric fan, it has only ever got warm enough to need the fan once, climbing Alpine mountains in the summer.  A hefty electric fan or original engine driven fan will keep the engine cool enough in almost any conditions as long as the rad, water pump and thermostat are all good.

IMG_0672.jpeg

IMG_0673.jpeg

Tks all,

When I say "correct" I meao that led spotlamps doesn't match the classical design of  RR.

I do have relays, twin batteries, a winch and an inverter, do not know too much about electricals.
With original alternator I_ had problems, now it´s fine!

Best all

mbm

My 3.5 V8 RR was just as it left the showroom, standard other lamp guards for my 10 years of ownership just as they should be 🙂IMG_5967.jpeg.baacdd17749db72379a60deb52e957e4.jpegAnd my 3.9 V8 disco hasn’t had  any over heating issues in the 27 + years of my ownership and fitted with driving lamps and A bar on the front, and it has A/C so the engine bay does get hot when in use on a hot summers day 🙂IMG_0245_Original.jpeg.f9ff2a7dd024b876178ba4139bb10809.jpeg

As mentioned, if you have a cooling system working 100% it will be okay.

Edited by teabag

On 11/14/2023 at 6:33 AM, Escape said:

You could ask yourself why you need or want 4 big spotlights. 

Because we all know lots of lights = increased ability off road. Just ask the owners of most generic pickups these days...

I have never understood it. The extra lights were the first thing to go when I rebuilt mine. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

Because we all know lots of lights = increased ability off road. Just ask the owners of most generic pickups these days...

I have never understood it. The extra lights were the first thing to go when I rebuilt mine. 

Extra lights can be handy. Depends where you drive and what you use a vehicle for. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

These days it's a billion jigawatt LED light bar on the roof which f***s your night vision and that of anyone in the firing line, and then no lights anywhere else so you are stuck the moment you need to back up or turn around in a tight spot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FridgeFreezer said:

These days it's a billion jigawatt LED light bar on the roof which f***s your night vision and that of anyone in the firing line, and then no lights anywhere else so you are stuck the moment you need to back up or turn around in a tight spot.

My billion jigawatt light bar on the roof is excellent when you need to work outside somewhere remotely for shortish periods at night. Truck and tools are always there so just direct it where you need and you have a nice area to work in

Smaller rear LED light pointing down great for reversing in the dark and for hitching trailers in the dark

I have two of these (for cabin and load areas) in LGT, and one used as a reversing light: 

White Rock Lights, YONEDA 4PODS Aluminum Housing IP68 Waterproof Pure White LED Rock Lights Underglow Fender Lights for Trucks, SUV, ATV, Offroad, Motorcycle : Amazon.co.uk: Automotive

I may well add a second as reversing light as I'm often reversing up a dark driveway, but in reality they give good light for all of £4 each.

They have curved rubber pads to mount easily to cage tube, and stainless bolts.

• Like 2