Seven Sisters closed for good

2 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Unfortunately and I may be speaking out of turn, attitudes like below don't help the situation, you have to go off track to try and cross

Just my opinion

Regards Stephen

I'd have to agree Stephen... like @elbekko says though... plenty of tracks did just appear onto the side of other tracks without any warning. Not always much of an option to retrace your steps either :(

Sad news indeed, many a good weekend was had there going back a fair few years I have to be honest. J33P's one were superb. Fond memories indeed

Trouble is back then we generally used to drive to and from (well a lot of us did) 35's were just in, whereas now bigger and (better) Buggy's combined speed events have I would imagine lead to much more visible damage

Hopefully it will open up to lightly modded in the  future with limited tyre size once its recovered

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Unfortunately and I may be speaking out of turn, attitudes like below don't help the situation, you have to go off track to try and cross

TBF the photo you posted was from a play site where they don't really mind what happens. 7 Sisters we explicitly brief people NOT to churn up the edges of the main tracks, but of course there's always exceptions.

I get the impression other clubs/organisations using the site were not as careful as we tried to be.

1 hour ago, Claytonv8 said:

Very similar to what I've heard 

We've got the letter direct from the land owners and they explicitly say they're not running ANY more 4x4 play days. No need for internet rumours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Les Brock said:

Sad news indeed, many a good weekend was had there going back a fair few years I have to be honest. J33P's one were superb. Fond memories indeed

Trouble is back then we generally used to drive to and from (well a lot of us did) 35's were just in, whereas now bigger and (better) Buggy's combined speed events have I would imagine lead to much more visible damage

Hopefully it will open up to lightly modded in the  future with limited tyre size once its recovered

They were good days.

You've hit the nail on the head there, Les. We all know a P&P vehicle doesn't need big tyres, as it simply takes the fun (and skill) away. Tyre control sizes in competition would have a ripple effect across the popcorn limiter boys

There was an event up at Seven Sisters/Banwen last weekend. It was a play day. No idea who organised it but it looked pretty good. Most of the vehicles were D3/D4 and L322.

• Like 1

In my comment about sites on the Mendips, I mentioned typical quarry sites. Is there a requirement for other types of site? For example, tomorrow night will be freezing my balls off in a large section of woodland on the Devon/Somerset border, on the edge of the Blackdown Hills. Typical of those hills, it's sand, mixed with organics, over a layer of Chert, over a layer of running green sand. There are roadways through the site, but as long as no one hits the trees, it's a general free for all. The terrain is steep and undulating - used for the odd trial and the occasional challenge event.  I'm seeing the land owner tomorrow afternoon...

What about distance? Is Cornwall to far (and too full of odd people). The old P&P site at Thunder Bay hasn't been used in years and the land owner wouldn't mind a small income.

Military sites are simply too busy most of the year, but Bovington is free on a regular basis. Although it would depend on which part.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

In my comment about sites on the Mendips, I mentioned typical quarry sites. Is there a requirement for other types of site? For example, tomorrow night will be freezing my balls off in a large section of woodland on the Devon/Somerset border, on the edge of the Blackdown Hills. Typical of those hills, it's sand, mixed with organics, over a layer of Chert, over a layer of running green sand. There are roadways through the site, but as long as no one hits the trees, it's a general free for all. The terrain is steep and undulating - used for the odd trial and the occasional challenge event.  I'm seeing the land owner tomorrow afternoon...

What about distance? Is Cornwall to far (and too full of odd people). The old P&P site at Thunder Bay hasn't been used in years and the land owner wouldn't mind a small income.

Military sites are simply too busy most of the year, but Bovington is free on a regular basis. Although it would depend on which part.

I think Shire would be interested in anything for offroad stuff.... if its further away then it probably has to be somewhere suitable for a couple of days and some camping?

2 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I think Shire would be interested in anything for offroad stuff.... if its further away then it probably has to be somewhere suitable for a couple of days and some camping?

Camping as in a field or Camping as in a field with toilets

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

TBF the photo you posted was from a play site where they don't really mind what happens. 7 Sisters we explicitly brief people NOT to churn up the edges of the main tracks, but of course there's always exceptions.

I get the impression other clubs/organisations using the site were not as careful as we tried to be.

We've got the letter direct from the land owners and they explicitly say they're not running ANY more 4x4 play days. No need for internet rumours.

That's that then, at least I've heard it officially from a reliable source! Shame really! Thanks for the reliable information 👍🏻 

1 hour ago, Nonimouse said:

Camping as in a field or Camping as in a field with toilets

TBH as long as we have access to get a rented portaloo or three in we can live with a bare field, if a site owner has the ability to supply loos or running water / electric that's a bonus.

And as Ross says, we'd happily look at any site that will have us - further away ones would ideally be big enough to justify a weekend trek but I wouldn't rule anything out, Sunday's always quieter at 7S as lots of folks break their trucks or head home early.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

What would the consensus be on having set tyre size and type rules, noise rules, speed limits etc as well as things like 'the rule of three'?

Can the noise rule be 'must make a noise of a V8'?

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

What would the consensus be on having set tyre size and type rules, noise rules, speed limits etc as well as things like 'the rule of three'?

I would welcome some regulations for offroad events myself, I have campaigned for this in off road competitions for years. but nobody likes to be bound by rules in this country.

Ok, this is not about competition, but it means people have to amend their cars to comply, which would not be popular. I mean if you were to ban portal axles for example, you would have at least 2 forum members unhappy.

I agree though that if we want to keep doing this, we need to be a bit more gentle with the land than we are now.

Not sure what 'the rule of three' means?

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ThreePointFive said:

Can the noise rule be 'must make a noise of a V8'?

I would heartily agree with this. 

Maybe even.... 'No rattlers', as the 2.25 petrol has a nice sound too. 

Noise and tyre size would be fine with me, but them I'm not running 37s...

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Daan said:

I would welcome some regulations for offroad events myself, I have campaigned for this in off road competitions for years. but nobody likes to be bound by rules in this country.

Ok, this is not about competition, but it means people have to amend their cars to comply, which would not be popular. I mean if you were to ban portal axles for example, you would have at least 2 forum members unhappy.

I agree though that if we want to keep doing this, we need to be a bit more gentle with the land than we are now.

Not sure what 'the rule of three' means?

The 'God Given Right' mob are particularly stubborn in the UK. I would ban any tyre over 35" in diameter and 10.5" in width. Personally I feel that loud exhausts save lives, but I loathe the noise of popcorn limiters and find rolling coal to be absurd; however an Alpha Romeo 3.0V6 with four cams and many valves, hitting 10k rpm is as the song of the nightingale to my ears

Rule of Three

1st attempt. Fail. Back off and re-assess 

2nd attempt. Fail. Back of and re-assess

3rd attempt. Fail. Back of and b*gg*r off

Side note: excess torque has overcome available traction, so hitting the rev limiter will not get you any further.

Funnily enough, in 99% of cases, the land will recover, if left alone. It doesn't take long and generally increases the bio diversity.

Seven sisters wasn't planted for biodiversity when it was reclaimed. That wasn't the popular watchword back then. It was planted for timber. The planting design originated the Forestry Commission Now Forestry England. It's what is known as a 12 species landscape, with few nurse species and lots of carpy timber species, the predominant one being Larch, both Japanese and European. Both very susceptible to Phytophthora ramorum, which has wiped out 3/4 of the larch in the UK.  As nature is want to do, many other native and ruderal naturalised species have found there way in. It's become quite interesting for people like me.

• Like 1

That's sad news.

The first time I went there (must have been mid to late 90's), we were guided around the site by a guy, I think his name was Selwin?  I remember it being quite challenging (and terrifying) in a bog-standard 110.

I've been to lots of events there - but my favourite was one organised by Mr Lovejoy.  I would guess at 2003.  It was a mixture of navigation and Trialing.  I always hoped for more like it but for me anyway, it was the first & last.  While it was a competition, it was a very light one, just for fun.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Daan said:

I mean if you were to ban portal axles for example, you would have at least 2 forum members unhappy.

Not too unhappy, would be easy enough to fab up a couple of spare axles for portal banning sites

Props would probably fit due to shortening the diffs so much....lol

Although I have to say it's not the axles that cause the damage.....just the ground shredders at each corner

Regards Stephen

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Stellaghost said:

Although I have to say it's not the axles that cause the damage.....just the ground shredders at each corner

When combined with a heavy right foot.... 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

What about distance? Is Cornwall to far (and too full of odd people). 

Just a wee tad for me............. 

However, I'm a northern minority, always better to cater for the masses.....

Regards Stephen

NoniMouse: Lamb lair: Is this another name for the site at West Harptree which JST used to use for the Scott Williams Memorial Winch challenge? That's a great side! Very hilly and undulating, but great!

Seven Sisters could be used every other year or just less per year to reduce the damage!

Going back to the old style Howling Wolf (which is making a comeback this year) which 10 or more years ago only had 35's and truck cabs, no space frames and 40 inch tyres!

Steve

• Like 1