200 / 300 TDi boost ring (dynamic timing advance)

I saw someone on YouTube fitting one to a 300tdi, and they removed a bolt for better access and use a torx Allen key to get them out.

When I’ve had limited space I’ve used the kind of Torx bit that fits in a ratchet - but put a ratchet spanner on it. It’s a bit fiddly, but fits in a tight space and gives good leverage.

Yes the removing that bolt on the mounting bracket would certainly help. I have a T30 for a 1/4" ratchet but it won't go in. I will need to get a t30 bent allen key.

I think that I will keep the FIP as it is for now, get the engine running again and assume that I can remove the bolts and fit the spacer later, 'in-situ'. By then I may have fitted an EGT gauge which will be interesting but only if I know the 'before' temperatures too.

Yeah, pretty good value too.

Halfords include in some of their kits a 10mm hex bit holder you then use with your 10mm ratcheting spanner, which is even slimmer, but this was an easier/quicker find.

• Like 1

I used a dynamic timing advance ring on my 200. It was excellent, smoothing out engine vibration at high revs on the motorway. I'd absolutely recommend 👍

@92a had my injection pump after I stripped the 200 and he seemed very happy with it !

Mo

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

don't buy the fuelling pins off a well known ebayer, they're carp! Not hardened

I have no experience of their offering and don't doubt your knowledge but I am rather gobsmacked to hear this. How can it be that they sell this quality of pin, yet appear to know what they are doing and remain in business and I think, are a popular supplier? Is it like the widely known distributor of almost everything, perhaps relying on volume and insufficient feedback / returns of shoddy goods?

1 hour ago, Peaklander said:

I have no experience of their offering and don't doubt your knowledge but I am rather gobsmacked to hear this. How can it be that they sell this quality of pin, yet appear to know what they are doing and remain in business and I think, are a popular supplier? Is it like the widely known distributor of almost everything, perhaps relying on volume and insufficient feedback / returns of shoddy goods?

Sadly I suspect people either don’t know there’s an issue… and then there’s also so many people these days selling all sorts that they just don’t understand in the slightest. That’s across all sorts of types of business’ too.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Sadly I suspect people either don’t know there’s an issue… and then there’s also so many people these days selling all sorts that they just don’t understand in the slightest. That’s across all sorts of types of business’ too.

I’m thinking Britpart.

Unfortunately someone let the accountants loose years ago. Which means every company must make as much profit as possible, instead of doing a good job and just making a living. Thus everything is made down to a price and this is what we all expect whether we agree/like it or not.

Mike

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 11:18 AM, Bowie69 said:

Have you got some Torx screwdriver bits? 

These are handy for this sort of tight spot: Sealey Ak6962 Bit Driver Ratchet Micro 1/4 Hex Stainless Steel : Amazon.co.uk: DIY & Tools

I have a slight addiction to 1/4 drive stuff, the dinky Sealey ratchets  (also sold under many different badge engineered brands) are very useful, but can be a pain as the reverse lever thingy catches and causes absolute havoc, also bloody difficult to find after temper gets involved and tool flinging occurs.

On 2/5/2024 at 1:31 PM, Nonimouse said:

I've still got to finalise the purchase of the new motor. It's a 1989 LWB 461 G wagen, which is the 4x4 I've always wanted. It's solid and the only change is the engine. The 605 is a brilliant engine, almost as good as the 617. This one runs a standard mechanical pump and no intercooler, both things that will need to be addressed, although the latter is going to be fun, as there is air con fitted.  Worst case scenario, I have a 617 that needs a home. 

Sadly this has fallen through. The lady that drives the vehicle has told her husband it's not for sale. I'm backing away slowly and carefully. He's hiding in his workshop

• Haha 2
  • Sad 4

19 hours ago, landroversforever said:

Big birthday with a 605 for the disco instead? 

It's a serious option. A 605 with a mechanical pump from a 602/662 would be about 140-150bhp if I avoided boring it out to 6mm. Smooth and nice to drive, not excessively torquey

On the negative side, it won't run on Rape oil and it won't be as economic as the 200. But these are things I can put up with

• Like 1

On 2/3/2024 at 2:14 PM, vulcan bomber said:

There getting the name boost ring because there sold with them silly boost pins that I personally would avoid like the plague.

Hi Vulcan bomber,

Out of curiosity, are you saying to avoid all the modified boost pins? (Even the ones with a good rep?) If so, why? I'd have thought they'd work well with your timing advance kit? Is there a specific issue they cause? 

Cheers

5 minutes ago, Stinkfloyd said:

Hi Vulcan bomber,

Out of curiosity, are you saying to avoid all the modified boost pins? (Even the ones with a good rep?) If so, why? I'd have thought they'd work well with your timing advance kit? Is there a specific issue they cause? 

Cheers

In the past lots were made from soft cheap metal and would wear a groove in, messing with the fuelling and making them worse than not tampering at all. Also, you should be able to see the gains just by using the stock pin and changing its position, but you need to spend time setting it up. The modified one is just more of a generic setting. So yes, they can work. But could come with longer term risk of performance dropping off. And ultimately are a bit like applying a generic map to an ECU controlled engine. Meaning with a little more effort you can probably get better results not using one. All IMO and others may have different views.

• Like 3