Potential insanity

We have moved a 20' on a 16' for but it certainly wasn't ideal, you could get away with an 18' but obviously a 20' would be better. Sit it on the bed and use a hi-lift or two to raise it up to put your beams/logs/poles under afterwards. you can also buy a purpose made 20' container transport trailer that is 3500kg gross.

It is far easier to use a good lorry man with hiab however especially if you are getting more than one, we recently had two delivered and they were in perfect place within 30 mins of turning up. 

21 hours ago, landroversforever said:

I doubt the bradley flatbed is that light, and I think it would be stupid trying to put a container on an ifor car trailer (assuming it's a CT177 type one). You're also unlikely to know the weight until it's too late.

The CT177 being lower, wider and a bit longer than all but the biggest IFW flatbed, would make it more suitable IMHO. You'd just need to sort the rear lights.
The step in the sides before and after the wheel arches could be used to fit wider beams and support the container under its sides. And plenty of holes to straps everything down securely. I'd certainly try it if the need arose.

Not sure about weighs for trailers but that sounds light for a big trailer, might be worth actually getting it weighed first, most scrap yards could do this for a small donation to the coffee fund.

The centre of gravity would be higher than for most loads so care would be needed but unless you have particularly steep roads it should just mean no high speed cornering!.

I can easily see why the police might get interested, it looks big and heavy, they won't know if it is also full, a lot of stolen cars and plant are transported in containers as they are out of sight and the steel construction will block any tracker signals, so they could see it as worth a pull just to check.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sean f said:

Not sure about weighs for trailers but that sounds light for a big trailer, might be worth actually getting it weighed first, most scrap yards could do this for a small donation to the coffee fund.

@Escape's triple axle tiltbed Ifor is about 800-850kg empty. Probably a good chunk less now without that tailgate. So definitely plenty of capacity left. If you can transport a D3, you can transport an empty container...

Center of gravity is probably the biggest issue, but also not a huge issue I would think.

8 hours ago, steve b said:

Do you have a link or supplier for these?

Steve

Ed's mate CLH offer a 20x8 with twist locks that would be a good multipurpose or there are more skelly style older ones coming up on marketplace readily away. 

IMHO the CT177 is not strong enough without adequate bearers to spread the weight, the side rails and punched floor can be easily bent with machinery/industrial loads. The same can be said for the TB range, if you put something like a roller or tractor implement on you start bending the floor/sides up when strapping down if your not careful.

I'm sure I have put this on before but a long time ago I moved a railway carriage body that had been used as a stable for ~50 years. We cut 6x6" posts to the right size to jam into the inside and strapped it all together with ratchet straps before using hi-lifts to rear one end up and winch it onto telegraph poles on the trailer with block and tackle shackled to the rear crossmember. This was all in a small croft in Redmire so access was limited to say to least, we had to have it higher on the trailer using the hil-lifts inside on the afore mentioned 6x6 beams this time to pass over a wall on the way out before lowering it back down.. It was a steady 20 mile journey back through mainly single track roads in low box. 

90RailwayCarraige.JPG.629ef8764f555490c65f9bff849eb433.JPG

Anything can be done with enough care and thought but sometimes often you have to weigh up whether it is really worth it.

• Like 1

Have carried some very odd loads on my CT177 which led me to want the flat bed too. The only thing I have damaged so far are the stupid foldable lights which I have now given up on.

2 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I think it was a CT177 I hired to fetch my tractor … good trailer .. but I wouldn’t want a shipping container on it 🤣

It is a good trailer I even barbequed a P38 on mine and it is still going strong. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I've moved a few containers on trailers, but only on local roads. Probably thirty miles as a max.  I've always used sleepers as supports. Trailer is a triaxle Ifor HD 

Biggest issue is side winds as the tail will wag the dog, but to be fair its just like towing a double axle caravan (like a Birstner) in a side wind.

Don't forget max length of trailer must be a max of 7m and that's from the tow couple to the rear

strangely enough im contemplating doing exactly the same in putting a 20ft container on my BJT tri axle, mainly because i cant find a hiab man with a long enough boom thats not charging more than the container cost for delivery