Shocks...

Mark

Not uprated or extended or anything!

I am looking at shocks to go with RR HD Police Spec Springs on my Disco. I want decent off-road performance, but i also want to be able to tow heavy things...

So I want some decent manufactuerers please?

I seem to remember something about De Carbon shocks breaking...

Anyway, experiences and suggestions much appreciated

ta

Mark

Not uprated or extended or anything!

I am looking at shocks to go with RR HD Police Spec Springs on my Disco. I want decent off-road performance, but i also want to be able to tow heavy things...

So I want some decent manufactuerers please?

I seem to remember something about De Carbon shocks breaking...

Anyway, experiences and suggestions much appreciated

ta

Mark

I had the De-Carbon snapping experience with a pair of rears whilst on an event. The weld that attaches the eyes on the top of the shocks to the rod snapped.

I've since fitted pro-comps and have never looked back.

Dave

Pro-comp for the money unbeatable

Monroe never had any problems good shocks

De carbon carp and fall off/snap

Bilstine good handling nice ride but can over heat when extream off roading quicker than all the others.

Pro-Comp are grate but if cost is not too much of a issue OME are the best all round shock.

Julian

Pro-comp for the money unbeatable

Monroe never had any problems good shocks

De carbon carp and fall off/snap

Bilstine good handling nice ride but can over heat when extream off roading quicker than all the others.

Pro-Comp are grate but if cost is not too much of a issue OME are the best all round shock.

Julian

Agree with Jules i have just put a set of OME's on my truck (well the ARB shop did). went for them as they will be the best over the time. I have also given a set a hell of a life on my old 90 and they did really well so can't falt them

winchbumper3.jpg

Agree with Jules i have just put a set of OME's on my truck (well the ARB shop did). went for them as they will be the best over the time. I have also given a set a hell of a life on my old 90 and they did really well so can't falt them

winchbumper3.jpg

I've had OME on my truck for getting on for 4 years now and I've never had a problem. They're not cheap but springs don't sag and shock failiers are pretty rare.

RR HD Police Spec Springs on my Disco..........................want to be able to tow heavy things...

These springs are quite long and soft and tend to give a wallowy ride on the road, ask DarthDicky, not the best for heavy towing IMHO.

These springs are quite long and soft and tend to give a wallowy ride on the road, ask DarthDicky, not the best for heavy towing IMHO.

Yeah, hence the need for decent shocks! I suspect that they are under damped, which is why I was avoiding the procomps.

If anyone can suggest a good source for OME or Boge shocks that would be helpful for comparison.

Ta

Mark

DeCarbon got a bad rep due to the rings/pins snapping off the end as they where only tacked on two sides. Some later one I've seen are welded all the way round so it looks like they have addressed the issue. But mud sticks.

Do you really know them Chris? Or was it a friend of a friend kinda thing? ;)

Well, it might have been something I heard once but I thought I had better repeat it - if we all tell 10 people ;)

Chris

I didn't know that it was a known problem I had one bend (I put that down to my driving) and Ali had one fall off the back end so our rating will never be high.

Not sure of the technical details but I think that the Procomps are quite stiff, the ride isn't very "floaty" even on soft-ish springs and going fast off road still doesn't feel as smooth as I'd like, or have experienced on other vehicles with different dampers and stiffer springs. It's an improvement over standard springs and shocks (I thought the rear springs were far too hard), but I wonder whether the OME setup works well on and off road (apart from articulation) because of stiff springs and softer dampers?

Richard

I do know someone who slipped in the shower though so I would suggest only taking baths, all showers are death traps.

Chris

laugh, I nearly p***** myself ;););)

Actually, do you remember that film about Mandela in prison in South Africa where they gave out that stat at the end of the film that hundreds had died when they 'slipped in the shower' - obviously Nelson took a lot of baths while doing his time! :)

Steve

I have DeCarbon shocks on my 90 and I have not managed to damage them.

I do know someone who slipped in the shower though so I would suggest only taking baths, all showers are death traps.

Chris

What on earth were you doing with a Decarbon shock in the shower? :unsure:

sounds painful anyway :P:lol::ph34r:

I slipped in the bath once - never bathed since. Smelling bad is safer

Pro-comps for me despite testing loads of others. Pro-comp always give you more travel.

However Billies are very very good on the road. TJM are better than OME any day and exactly the same price AND they are a nicer colour (which is very important). Dobinsons are also superb and if I lived in the Penal Colonies I wouldn't buy any other.

I'll sort of put in a good word for the DeCarbons - in as much as I have them on the back of my truck and they're significantly better than the standard ones at the front both on and off road. Can't say much about reliability as they hadn't been on that long before I broke the engine, and I don't give it that much stick anyway. I think they're welded all the way round though - can't say for sure without nipping over to Wales to take a look...

Last time I looked MM4x4 still had a really good deal on DeCarbons.