slow LR4x4.com again

SteveG

If posts are dropping it could be detrimental to the site - as people find other forums to lurk on.

Do you have any access to SSH etc, to see if it's a bandwidth issue or a server load issue. Then if it is server load, you could see which processes are thrashing it?

As Les says, Trev and I are actively prodding things and sucking through our teethworking on the problem. At the moment we don't know what's causing it, although the server having a rather full system drive as Invision have configured it to dump backups in / probably isn't helping... That's beeing changed, and if the problems persist we'll carry on looking for more things that might be less than perfect.

We do have quite a large database now, but it shouldn't be large enough to cause serious problems on the server hardware we have.

The speed of download varies ,somedays its instant , others seem to take so long I usualy skip this forum in favour of other faster working ones .But once on here it all seems to work ok .

Its slower than the dial up we had years ago back in the dark ages .

seem to take so long I usualy skip this forum in favour of other faster working ones .But once on here it all seems to work ok .

Its slower than the dial up we had years ago back in the dark ages .

... and therein lies the threat to the forum's credibility, I'm afraid.

Mo

I run a wireless ISP here in Ireland and have a very fast connection (12mb both up and down) but I get lots of time outs using this forum but it always comes back after a few mins. Don't have this problem on any other sites, I would talk to the hosting company or find another one.

I agree with others on here if its a new user that finds this site in Google and after they click on the link they get a time out, they might not come back, it also make the forum look bad.

Is it a funding issue and the forum can not afford a good hosting company or is it that the hosting company are getting paid good money for a bad service. I have been thinking about making a donation to the forum as I know these thing don't come for free but then hold back because I don't want to waste my money.

I find the forum very useful and would be willing to make a small donation to help pay for the cost of running it but don't want to send my money if it's just going to be wasted because the hosting company might be ripping off the forum and the users. I'm sure that there are others here that feel the same as me and are just a little unsure about sending a donation.

Don't get me wrong, I find this forum a big help and want to be part of it but find it frustrating that it keeps going down for a few mins several times an hour.

'Edit'

It took 44 seconds to post the above.

Is it a funding issue and the forum can not afford a good hosting company or is it that the hosting company are getting paid good money for a bad service.

The second one of the two. We pay a fair amount for a dedicated server from Invision and it should be more than up to the job but there seems to be little progress with sorting the problem out. The mod/admin team are not at all happy with this and if it does not improve pretty darned sharpish I would be in favour of moving it elsewhere though I am sure that will unfortunately come with a cost penalty :(