Ultimate engine question

Ben Jordan

Which engine  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Which ultimate engine

• International HS 2.8L TGV engine
    • 5.2 V8 top spec

My thinking at the moment is to upgrade all of the parts on the Rangie that can be transferred to other Land rovers, i.e. Engine, transmission, axles, suspension parts etc. So i can have a really good off roader now and WHEN the chassis/body is beyond economical repair. I can use all of the upgraded parts on an Ibex/Bowler/Defender to have another high spec off roader relatively quick.

My 3.9 V8 has covered quite a lot of miles and im not to sure about its service history. I have ordered quite a lot of parts for it this week to try and get it sweet again. Anyway i can't help but think that it won’t be long before it's going to need some major surgery. Now this is the dilemma do i keep ploughing money into the V8 to keep it running or after my house move buy and install,

a ) An International HS 2.8L TGV engine

b ) A 5.2 V8 top spec, blue printed and balanced with stand alone engine management

The car will be used at weekends for non-competitive off roading and running the dogs around.

Despite being a die-hard V8 fan - I would have the 2.8. It seems to be a bloody good engine and you get some economy with it.

I hav to admit, I'm sorely tempted to go back to diesel - now I know a little more about that kind of stuff and how to safely get more poke out of them.

Si

TGV it! You've seen the Top Gear video where the Overfinch Range Rover outdrags the Porsche ... on the grass? It would have been so different if it had been a humid day or the grass was damp:

VROOOOMcoughsplutter"where's the WD40?"... ssst....whawhawha...pssst "try it again" wha wha VRooOOoobuuhwhawhavrOOM "And on that bombshell, GOODNIGHT!"

Besides, with modern turbos getting higher and higher temperatures, there's plenty more to come from the humble diesel engine, and it's all about improving efficiency, not just about pushing more fuel through the thing!

Good one Nige, typical emotional response - V8

The boring but practical answer of 2.8 not seen by the glazed over eyes.

How much is a TGV? £3.5k?

How much is an Isuzu 2.8TD? £300?

Guess which I'd go for if it had to be a diesel...

Frankly, I'd stick with teh V8 if it's a plaything. If a daily driver, get the Isuzu engine. Uncle Jez is the resident expert.

Frankly, I'd stick with teh V8 if it's a plaything. If a daily driver, get the Isuzu engine. Uncle Jez is the resident expert.

or indeed £100 for a rustbucket carcass that drove from near inverness to near berwick upon tweed in a day. the trooper speedo was at 273000 miles and its engine is now doing sterling service in my 110 and the carcass in a scrap heap somewhere. although all the electrics still worked perfectly, with rust its only killer.

can get quite a few 4jb1's for the price of the tgv, although you'd probably not need em. allisport run a 4jb1 in their racer.

given the choice i'd prefer a bigger isuzu engine though 4.4 from a light truck although it might be a bit heavy for your needs.

My thinking at the moment is to upgrade all of the parts on the Rangie that can be transferred to other Land rovers, i.e. Engine, transmission, axles, suspension parts etc. So i can have a really good off roader now and WHEN the chassis/body is beyond economical repair. I can use all of the upgraded parts on an Ibex/Bowler/Defender to have another high spec off roader relatively quick.

My 3.9 V8 has covered quite a lot of miles and im not to sure about its service history. I have ordered quite a lot of parts for it this week to try and get it sweet again. Anyway i can't help but think that it won’t be long before it's going to need some major surgery. Now this is the dilemma do i keep ploughing money into the V8 to keep it running or after my house move buy and install,

b ) A 5.2 V8 top spec, blue printed and balanced with stand alone engine management

The car will be used at weekends for non-competitive off roading and running the dogs around.

Neither - for the same money you can get a decent engine!

For the same money as the TGV or 5.2 Rover lump you can have a Chevy 350 with Projection, brand new with warrantee (310BHP and 370 ft/lbs) with TH400 and LT230 Adaptor...

or

An Isuzu 3.9TDi with a recon LT85

Or you could be a daredevil and go for:

a re-built 200Tdi, tweeked a tadge and with a decent turbo AND Landcruiser 80 series axles back and front

Go on dare to be different

Presumably a fully setup V8 would come with a decent (distributorless) ignition system though? :P

And my vote would be for neither - I'd got for a more standard V8 that's not going to stress the rest of the truck so much and you're not going to cry if you break it. If you put a high tuned engine in you then need a lot of cooling, stronger transmission, and deep pockets if it ever breaks.

If it's just going to be an off road truck, go diesel. You won't need the V8s better high speed performance and you won't care that much about the noise if you aren't doing long distance driving in it. Plus you get to laugh at all us V8 boys when we get stuck in puddles :huh:

Isn't it nice when you read something that 'hits the nail on the head'?

I agree with Jez, if you want V8 silliness, look no further than an LS6.

I also agree with Fridge that this will knacker everything if you decide to keep Rovery bits between engine and wheels.

There's no way I'd ever spend Rover 5.2 ltr-style money on a Rover V8. If you want plenty of cylinders and a big grin, see my 2nd statement.

However, I would (and am) spend less on a 'reasonable' Rover V8, which won't eat everything and cost the earth... But then it's not the same, is it?

How about an LS1 as a compromise? It's lighter than almost everything, and will make more power and torque in pretty standard form than anything else mentioned, but not quite as nice/expensive as the LS6?

Al.

TGV myself. So the used Isuzu is cheaper, but is it really? We are comparing a brand new engine with all ancilaries (Starter, alternator, pump, injectors all running gear) brand new, with a 100.000(?) miles heap from a local scrapyard.

If I had to rely on it for a long time than that is false economy, big style.

I bought a brand new TDI for mine and have not touched it since 2002 apart from changing oil and filter. I have never regretted spending that cash.

Daan

A TGV will be c.£4850 by the time you have added the fitting kit VAT and delivery, if bought from Prins Mortens in Holland.

I know of a new TGV for sale with the Defender fitting kit all still in it's crate with full warranty for £4000.

Here in the UK.

Let me know if you are interested and I will pass on your details.

John

For an off roader, get a 2.8. Its what I did and its an awesome engine however, it will cause havoc with the drivetrain; a decent gearbox is a must. The torque is absolutly awesome.

A 5.2 full Eales would be nice too but I'd do it on a road vehicle rather than an off road plaything.

DON'T BE A PUSSY

V8 all the way B) B)

Think for the fun you can have on the road with it.

If your not doing much millage what does it matter the MPG

No matter what you do to a TD it will always sound like a tractor :ph34r::ph34r:

If your looking at TD go for the common rail 3.0 (BMW) nothing smaller as they aren't powerful enough

3.2 Misubushi has emence power out put in the right hands

I don't know much about the Nissan or Toyota TD's.

DON'T BE A PUSSY V8 all the way

Think for the fun you can have on the road with it.

If your not doing much millage what does it matter the MPG

No matter what you do to a TD it will always sound like a tractor

Thres nothing better than a well reasoned logical proffesional and eliquently argued case,.......

pointing out all the facts and with unemotional responses and data to consider...............

Unfortunately the above was not one of them :D

but spot on :lol: 100% yeah !

Nige :ph34r:

At the same Junction meself ;)

Petrol???

Diesel????

So i looked at it logically.

Been using Diesel for Errrrrrrr Ever :)

Probs? err None :)

People that i know that have probs at minute, err Yes you guessed it all drive V8's

And before you ask, These guys have spent thousands......

Then thers the other way of looking at it,

Who do i fear/respect the most and what do they drive?

Bout fifty fifty to be fair.

Love the V8, But it's got to be LR, cos of parts availability.......So

Same with the diesel.

So we opted for TD5 even though this has ALL of the electircal probs of the Newer v8's

WHY?

Cos' if i had a V8 i'd only fill it with diesel anyway :rolleyes:

But ultimate engine?????

Not the TGV (Parts availability in foreign clims to risky)

Not the Rover V8 (Just to fragile)

Not the Td5 (To much funny stuff)

Not the TDv6 or TD6 (Just not enough known)

So there we have it , i'm not gona get one from L/R.

So Looks like i'll have to start looking at the DARK side :lol:

Jim :)

Ps: Jules, Jez where do i start looking?????? :lol:

How much would that lot cost, roughly? It's hard to compare stuff without prices I guess.

Al.

The figure I've heard is £8k for the metalwork and then electrics on top of that.

Jim, parts shouldn't be too bad with the TGV. A lot Tdi stuff could be made to fit to get you home even though it may not be 100% correct. The part I'd worry about most is the head gasket but you can always carry a spare. Anything more major than a cam belt or head gasket and its time to get a free ride home IMHO.

P.S. Tonks, I'm guessing that means I'll be seeing you at the AFC then ;)