Top speed

at 70'ish with the overdrive disengaged [out]rpm is around 3000 with overdrive engaged [in] about 2500, IIRC. my overdrive drops the revs by 500 to 600 for any speed when engaged.

for example ---

at 60 overdrive out rpm 2500

22.jpg

at 60 overdrive in rpm 2000/2100

23.jpg

thanks for that ralph :)

From memory, I'm sure I used to be able to cruise at an indicated 80 - 85 without trouble which corrected would have been slightly higher. Can't remember where he used to run out of steam wasn't much more.

Well it depends how many satellite fixes you have some times you can get wildly varying results of location and speed if you only have connection to satellites over head rather than from the horizon as well that is why some units running OS based maps need about 6 fixes for true 1meter accuracy.

If you use TOMTOM I don’t think there is any measure of accuracy to compare but with the more anorak (I own one so I can say that!) orientated gps units it gives you the current accuracy of location this must be the same for speed over land as that is how the gps works (I think) timed position and timed movement calculated form the atomic clocks onboard the satellite and compared to the signals from your handset .

Cheers

James

:blink:

Thanks James,

Mines a Tom Tom too. Location accuracy always seems pretty good and I normally notice the maximum number of satellite connections, or at least 5 anyway.

Interesting info. :rolleyes:

Mark.

Jules had a 4.2 90 on 35" simex extreme treckers. I was following him in a Pug 406 and i lost him at 120mph . That was the max of the pug and he kept going into the distance . That was on the M3 between winchester and southampton . So never did know what he got up to in the end . Plus a bit difficult to him in the distance becasue of the rain :unsure:

120+ on simex :o!!

If it's any consolation, my 90 tops out at 75 ish with 255/85R16 MTs and a completely standard 120k Mile old 200tdi.

I'm not sure i'd want it to go any faster, motorway crusing at the speed costs significantly more than a more comfortable 63ish mph.

Are there any set figures in the green bible for how long the stop screw whould be sticking out ?

nothing in my defender workshop manual,

the injection pump/engine Flight [no load] speed should be 3850rpm for a 200Tdi, maybe your max rpm screw needs a tweak to give a bit more rpm.

I seem to be getting a max speed of 75mph in my Td5 and thats downhill! But i understand that there might be a limiter on the td5 ? is this true ? Also i seem to only get about 30 mph in 3rd gear before it starts to kangaroo :) any ideas if thats normal or if theres something wrong ?

I seem to be getting a max speed of 75mph in my Td5 and thats downhill! But i understand that there might be a limiter on the td5 ? is this true ? Also i seem to only get about 30 mph in 3rd gear before it starts to kangaroo :) any ideas if thats normal or if theres something wrong ?

Years ago I got 104.3mph GPS measured out of a TD5 110, although it was down hill and late at night on deserted dual carriageway... :blink:

Are there any set figures in the green bible for how long the stop screw whould be sticking out ?

i'd be checking how much turbo boost you are getting, and checking the integrity of all the high pressure air hoses, like the small one that goes over to the fuel pump.

if that is blocked, you wont be getting any extra fuel into the engine.

also worth flushing out your intercooler and drying it thoroughly.

I got a GPS 92 out of my soft top 90 when I tried a few months ago.

I was feeling quite pleased with myself as well, overtaking BMW's in the outside lane, giving it large past landcruisers etc

when BANG and there was a massive bright flash and a huge wall of air hit me - I thought I'd been blown up or hit by a plane - after about five seconds of intense shock and trying to get my bearings and bringing what felt like a crashing B52 bomber into the inside lane, I realised that the hood had blown off due to the force of the air!

I got a GPS 92 out of my soft top 90 when I tried a few months ago.

I was feeling quite pleased with myself as well, overtaking BMW's in the outside lane, giving it large past landcruisers etc

when BANG and there was a massive bright flash and a huge wall of air hit me - I thought I'd been blown up or hit by a plane - after about five seconds of intense shock and trying to get my bearings and bringing what felt like a crashing B52 bomber into the inside lane, I realised that the hood had blown off due to the force of the air!

that'll teach you for giving it large!!! ;)

(things always gone wrong when I'm at my cockiest! :lol: )

Forgot to add earlier, my engine is standard, rebuilt by me with the timing set around 2degrees more advanced than factory standard.

My old Mum's 110 (70k since new and quiet as a whistle) will achieve around 85mph.