The Grave yard

Bos

I considered it when i built my new machine last month, however as i couldnt get a legit copy back then i didnt bother. XP does the job just fine and when the driver bugs etc are ironed out of the 64bit version i'll move over to that as itll go well with my C2D chip and buckets of ram i run :D

Look carefully at what you actually get with each version - from memory, Basic doesn't come with the new interface or quite a few bits of software that are bundled with higher priced versions. You might actually find it a step backwards from XP...

I've not tried it personally (I don't own any hardware capable of running it...) but one of my colleagues has - he was quite impressed with it, found that although it appeared to hog lots of memory when first started it wasn't using any more as he started applications and stayed responsive. He had to remove it and reinstall XP after a few days because he needed to run software that didn't work on Vista (and we're talking latest version, mainstream Microsoft software here).

I'll be steering clear for now - I don't think it's ready for use yet. Plus it still doesn't do anything I need that most free Linux distributions don't do on hardware with a quarter of the power...

Yes its the striped down one and its tread price. But it is Vista.

As for a cracked thares lots of them out there.

I know someone working on Vista for MS and was told to stay away from it for atleast 12 months.

Paul

I considered it when i built my new machine last month, however as i couldnt get a legit copy back then i didnt bother. XP does the job just fine and when the driver bugs etc are ironed out of the 64bit version i'll move over to that as itll go well with my C2D chip and buckets of ram i run :D

If you got a OME copy of XP last month you would/should have had a free upgrade to Vista with it. All the ones I have build in the last few months have all had it with them. The offer still runs till the end of march and it works out cheeper than going straight to Vista.

Paul

If you got a OME copy of XP last month you would/should have had a free upgrade to Vista with it. All the ones I have build in the last few months have all had it with them. The offer still runs till the end of march and it works out cheeper than going straight to Vista.

Paul

I didnt buy XP, already got it from my last build so just reinstalled on my new machine. As for the free upgrade, its a tricky one as its actually only open to "system builders" and MS claim you need to prove you are a approved system builder to get the upgrade free, hence the OEM copies sold through normal channels might or might not actually be upgraded for free, that will become clear in time.

Paul

not exaclty true. XP pro costs 89 quid, with upgrade to home premium.

Home premuim can be bought for 61 quid OEM.

I was already liking this idea before I got to this bit:

The lupine release plan would, the scientists admit, be "deeply unpopular with farmers and rural pet owners", and might not go down too well with ramblers. While the former could be compensated for any losses to wolf attack, the latter would need to be convinced that they weren't going to become a hearty lunch for the wolf pack.

So, keeps down the deer and other pests, allows trees to grow (so it's got to have A+ environmental credentials :) ) and sheep farming isn't really profitable these days anyway. I'm not seeing any downsides...

:D

This is the first big leap in hardware that's been required for some time. I have hardware that shipped with Win98 running XP quite happily with just a bit more RAM added.

However with Vista it is a big leap, 95% of our clients desktop hardware (which is on a roling 3 year replacement so it's not old carp) won't run Vista properly.

We've got a P3/700 in the parts department at work which had 98 on it when it arrived and was plenty quick enough, but even with the addition of more RAM, MS Office is almost unusable with XP.

So no hurry for me to upgrade yet - XP ain't broke so doesn't need fixing.

Best bit is that all the hackers will be busy trying to be the first ones to bring down Vista so the amount of effort put into finding weaknesses in XP should reduce :)

I've got a P3/500 with 384MB running XP at home and that seems fine, although it does only get light use, it's the lounge internet PC. But then my main PC is only a P3/700 with 1GB which was recently running Win2KProf but sinch the big crash of 2006 has been upgraded to XP, again fine even with office 2003, bit slow with photoshop though.

As yo can tell I don't like spending money on hardware (or software :ph34r: ) and only run what I can blag from work or elsewhere ;)

Might have to shell out for a new one to run Vista in say 12 months or so when it's a bit more sorted :rolleyes: but then I suppose it's about time as the last PC I bought was a P75 :lol: and then I paid £100 for 4MB of RAM for it :o

Guest dew110CSW

I'm sticking with XP until at least 1 SP has come out, possibly 2.

My machine is pretty high end (AMD x2 4200, 1gb, 6100 turbo) but I can't be bothered, not at the cost anyway. I stick to XP and Unbuntu x64.

I know this shouldn't be funny but it just is... :ph34r:

...sad but true! :lol:

You'd have to be a muppet to think you'd be attacked by a wolf pack it you were out rambling anyway... but then I guess that means nothing when put in that context! lol! :ph34r: I'm fascinated by wolves anyway and there's a fabulous programme up in Scotland. Besides, I'm sure the wooly hats would put them off... ;)

I seem to remember reading in one of Jeremy Clarkson's books about a scheme put forward by an eminent scientist to reintroduce wolves to the British Isles. I remember that the thinking behind this was to reduce the number of car accidents caused by deer wandering in front of speeding vehicles which if my memory serves me correctly was around about a thousand a year. It seems that the principal downside of this particular scheme was that good old Homo sapiens seem to feature quite highly upon the 'must have' menu of your average wolf with all that that implies.

Wolves, being smart and ecolgically-minded creatures would probably complain bitterly about the pointless packaging surrounding your average rambler comprising mainly as it does of luminescent polypropylene, a gnarly walking stick with some sort of dodgy effigy carved on to the top and a faint hint of beard!

rambling OT Defras standpoint on wildboar; a year ago they denied "a viable breeding population" in the UK, the NGO (National Gamekeepers Org) surveyed its members and put the English population at over 1500, this year Defra said "oh, them, you mean the cute piggy wiggy things? oh yeah theres loads of them"

having hunted boar and been in camping out in wolf country Im more scared of 100kgs of pork scratching any day of the week - evil, nasty, tasty, suculent mmmm honey roasted..... sorry :lol: I think it would be nice to see wolves back, Im not sure how the stalking industry would view it though!??!?

I would like to offer rehabilitation services to beaver - my wife would kill me though :(

would have thought that at this day and age the story would changed by now

"the big bad wolf"...........................

the big bad wolf will run away from humans as fast as he can...

cant say the same about runnig away from sheep thou.... :rolleyes:

yumm yumm

My parents have an A-Class which has taken to intermittently refusing to start.

All lights on dash OK but nothing happens when key is turned.

Dealers first diagnosis was low battery so that was replaced.

Problem still occurs.

Latest diagnosis is that it MAY be a starter or solenoid problem. Trouble is that MAY will cost £700 to try as its an engine out job.

Anyone got any thoughts/ideas/suggestions what else or how it can be checked.

Thank you for your time :D

I have had a diesel A class for over 3 years as a runabout and it has been fairly reliable. Can't assist with technical information but if you try the owners club website you will probably get an answer.

The address is http://baby-benz.com/portal/phpbb/

You will have to register as a forum member as you do here but there is a lot of knowledgeable people that post there and I am sure that someone will come up with the answer.

does the started motor click when you try and start it? if it doesn't then the solenoid isn't operating. so either you have a dodgy starter/solenoid or you could have a dodgy immobiliser- we had the same thing a while ago.

next time the car refuses to start, try getting out and locking the car and then getting back in. If the car starts (and you do this a couple of times) then i reckon you have an immobiliser issue.

Romania has the biggest population of wolves in Europe. Most of them roam the Carpathian mountain range in Transylvania. However, most people I know in Transylvania have never even seen one, as they are so secretive. A wolf will avoid human contact at all cost. The only way to see one is to get a tracker that knows the woods like the back of his hand, and knows the territory and range of a pack.

The big difference is that the range in Scotland would be smaller, more people roaming about and less cover. That said, not many people out on a walk would even know a wolf was around.

Regarding sheep, the wolves do like them. That is why most shepherds I have seen in Transylvania have several stocky dogs guarding the flock. These dogs are seriously hard!

Cheers, Paul.

Had a magic "wolf moment" when camping in Alaska. Got out of the tent at about 3 in the morning for a pee (it was June so still half daylight) only to find a large wolf stood quietly watching me about 10 metres away. I chatted to him as I would one of my dogs and niehter of us was the slightest bit put out by the others presence. Finally, he just turned quietly round and dissappeared into the bush. Thinking back it was our last night there and we had been drinking to celebrate the end of a great holiday as I remember having another pee about 2 hours later (I am not incontinent despite what Steve might say!). Second time out I was confronted by a moose! Again no hassle though these animals are consiudered the most dangerous in the northern countries.

does the started motor click when you try and start it? if it doesn't then the solenoid isn't operating. so either you have a dodgy starter/solenoid or you could have a dodgy immobiliser- we had the same thing a while ago.

next time the car refuses to start, try getting out and locking the car and then getting back in. If the car starts (and you do this a couple of times) then i reckon you have an immobiliser issue.

It's great having a Defender none of those stupid electronic gizzmo's keeping me out of the truck or the engine not starting! Well sometimes anyway. :)

When our daughter was born last sep we needed a bigger car,so traded in the mrs Fiesta (53) for a diesel modeo (03)

we exchanged log books with the dealer and that was that

however start of jan we got a letter from dvla saying the fiestas tax was out and we owe £80 :o

we sent the log book off for the mondeo the day after we picked it up (they have a record of that)

we then sent them a receipt from the trader showing the fiesta was part exchanged for the mondeo (dated)

they wrote back on the 25th ,letter received today saying tough you owe £80 because you didnt report fiesta to us and we want the money by friday or you go to court,also they will send a letter to us showing we are no longer the owners of said car and if nothing arrives in 4 weeks to contact them. (what about tickets in those 4 weeks)

when it was exhanged the fiesta had tax.

1. should i pay the £80 or

2. should i go to court and risk paying more

UPDATE; I have contacted dealer who has moved the car on and informs me it has since been sold

i then checked the DVLA vehicle inquiry website which shows the vehicle has 6 months tax which expires 01/07/07

the new owners must have registered the car to get tax?

so that means i am being charged £80 for the car sitting on a dealers forecourt for 2 months (nov/dec. :huh:

any experiences or advice gratefully received. :huh: