Bad News! Class 7 MOT coming in 2012

simonr

I had a chat with Mike, my friendly Class 7 MOT inspector who rents a unit two along from X-Eng.

He says they have received guidelines from VOSA saying that all commercial or load carrying 4x4's will be subject to a Class 7 MOT from some time in 2012.

The MOT is a bit more expensive, but also more stringent in a number of areas. He said my 110 double cab would definitely be subject to it as will most pickups and hard top vehicles. Station wagons will be exempt. I wonder what they will make of tray-backs?

On one level, it's fair enough - I use (and insure) mine for business and regularly carry heavy loads in it but there will be a lot of people who will be caught by this. It's also unclear how the (relatively few) class 7 stations will cope with the demand. It may mean travelling some distance for your MOT.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Si

He said the biggest problem with Land Rovers is likely to be the braking efficiency as it has to be based on the plated weight rather than the kerbside weight. That increases the braking force required by up to about 30%. On newer disk braked vehicles it's not too much of a problem with the service brakes, but the handbrake barely passes as it is in most cases.

He also said something about the unloaded rear braking - but I didn't really understand what he was on about, it started getting technical!

He mentioned about tyres having to be load rated as well as speed rated as current. I have no idea whether my tyres are load rated for 3.5 ton! 255/85-16 BFG Muds. Do Simex and the like even have a load rating?

Si

I didn't think they could retrospectively change requirements like that, I could understand if all commercials/hardtops sold from now on would have to do a class 7, but otherwise surely it's a minefield not just for owners but for VOSA? There'll be a raft of people fitting extra windows or bolting an extra seat in the back come MOT time.

He said the biggest problem with Land Rovers is likely to be the braking efficiency as it has to be based on the plated weight rather than the kerbside weight. That increases the braking force required by up to about 30%. On newer disk braked vehicles it's not too much of a problem with the service brakes, but the handbrake barely passes as it is in most cases.

He also said something about the unloaded rear braking - but I didn't really understand what he was on about, it started getting technical!

He mentioned about tyres having to be load rated as well as speed rated as current. I have no idea whether my tyres are load rated for 3.5 ton! 255/85-16 BFG Muds. Do Simex and the like even have a load rating?

Si

tyres have a load rating there is a code on the sidewall http://www.blackcircles.com/general/load-rating

I didn't think they could retrospectively change requirements like that, I could understand if all commercials/hardtops sold from now on would have to do a class 7, but otherwise surely it's a minefield not just for owners but for VOSA? There'll be a raft of people fitting extra windows or bolting an extra seat in the back come MOT time.

Fitting windows or seats wont make any difference, it's to do with gross weight.

Any vehicle with a plated GVW over 3000kg requires a class 7 test, so far many vehicles have been exempt from this because they were classed as "dual purpose vehicles" 4 wheel drive being one of the requirements to be in this catorgory.

What is happening is the "dual purpose vehicle" catogory is being removed.

This was notified about 2 years ago, discussed on here as well.

There is little to fear from a class 7.

As a class 4 tester I'm going to lose most of the Land Rovers I test.

My 90 is 2,400kgs and the 110 (CSW) is 2950kgs, so hopefully this won't affect me. Bit of a bugger for those with commercial 110s though, or 130s. More travelling to and from MOT stations :(

Simon didn't state a GVW restriction though, which may mean that it's ALL commercial 4x4s which includes my 90 (even though it's only 2,400kgs GVW), as well as all other non-SW Land Rovers (so most of them!).

In 2010 I took my 110 Hardtop and went to a Class 4 place and it got through fine on a Class 4

This year I took my 110 SW to the same place and said they couldn't do it. There's only one place that does Class 7 within 10 miles, so went there, and they put it through as a Class 4! (and non-turbocharged even though it's a 300Tdi!).

However, it passed with no advisories so i'm not complaining! I fear the Class 7 brake test though if it ever gets tested as that.

I had to go through three Class 7 MOTs with my Defender, and the only things ever failed were things that it would have failed on a Class 4. I seem to remember the place I took it to on two occasions was actually a couple of quid cheaper than a Class 4. Brakes weren't a problem as they didn't have a 4 wheel rolling road - the tester just took it out to the back yard and as long as it pulled up straight, it passed. Most towns should have a commercial vehicle dealer - I took mine to an Iveco dealer. Failing that, try your local authority - if they test their own vehicles, they're bound to need to do Class 7 tests, and they're unlikely to try to con you that something needs doing as they don't do any repairs.

Maybe UK market vehicles are different but every 110SW I have ever seen has been 3050kg GVW :unsure: export market 110s are all 3050kg except for the hi-cap and vehicles with HD suspension both of which can be 3500kg.

The unladen braking bit may be a misunderstanding - a lot of rice burners are fitted with brake proportioning valves connected to the axle with a spring, these reduce pressure to the back end when lightly laden (in other words the higher the body is above the axle, the less brake pressure) to avoid locking the rear wheels. Some LR have a brake proportioning valve fitted but this doesn't work the same way, in fact I am not sure how it does work :unsure: but I have a feeling the 110s don't have it anyway, think it may be only 90/Discovery Tdi.

Most tyre load ratings are fine for anything other than a 110SW with HD suspension or a 130, both of which are rated at 2200kg max rear axle weight for a 3500kg GVW. This means you need a tyre of min 1100kg rating and the most common ratings on 4x4 tyres are 950kg to 1050kg per tyre. Michelin XZY are over this as are BFG MT 265/75r16 - the latter are 1400kg IIRC, as we had to find something strong at work a year or two back for an ambulance and a fire vehicle both of which were heavy 130 conversions running round at potentially close to max GVW.

Levelled suspension is 2950kg, That's most UK 110 station wagons, although some were spec'd without the boge self leveller, h/d springs and plated 3050kg.

Come the change, it will be what GVW is on the vin plate that matters.

levelled suspension is with the boge strut & much softer springs, only on County station wagons [110 only] & it could be spec'd on other 110, if levelled suspension was/is fitted then it's MGW is 2950kg, my own 110 has a 2950-kg MGW & has always gone through a class 4 MOT.