Engine Crane - Best values ?

Neeed a new engine crane / hoiust

Must be a folding up sort, and looking for one that folds up really neatly as compactly as possible

anyone any particular recomendations ?

This : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Draper-1-Tonne-Folding-Engine-Crane-Quick-Lift-53091New-/330575762551?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item4cf7d9d477#ht_778wt_905 is top at the mo ?

Nige

I have a Clarke one that looks exactly the same design as that one (and can definately vouch for the 82kg weight!)

Easy to use, folds up quickly and compactly. Enough power and reach for getting engines in and out of Defenders/Disco's (what I have used it for)

You probably dont want to know I bought mine for about £30 second hand though! :P

I've got a clarke 1ton hoist from MM, its a very good lift, and very heavy! It is a little awkward to fold up on your own, but I think thats likely to be a problem with all of them rather than clarke's in particular. Its a lot easier to use on a nice smooth warehouse type floor than a slightly broken up rough concrete drive too, but again, I dont think thats a particular problem of clarke's over anybody elses

I got one of these a couple of years ago and been very happy with it, although I haven't seen it that often as it spends most of it's time circulating between club members...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370228592955

As well as folding it is also shipped "flatpack" and can be quickly unassembled into 3 or more parts (depends how small you need it) which take up far less room than a folding version and in the limited garage space I have it's easier to store it in 2 or 3 different places. It only took around 5 minutes to dismantle it enough for it to fit in the back of a BMW 3 series.

The design makes it a lot more stable than the previous folding MM version I had and in it's most basic "folded" form it sits on 4 wheels so is far more stable than the folding version which sits on 2 wheels, a wing and a prayer. I do tend to remove the legs and store them elsewhere though rather than leave them folded up.

I got one of these a couple of years ago and been very happy with it, although I haven't seen it that often as it spends most of it's time circulating between club members...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370228592955

As well as folding it is also shipped "flatpack" and can be quickly unassembled into 3 or more parts (depends how small you need it) which take up far less room than a folding version and in the limited garage space I have it's easier to store it in 2 or 3 different places. It only took around 5 minutes to dismantle it enough for it to fit in the back of a BMW 3 series.

The design makes it a lot more stable than the previous folding MM version I had and in it's most basic "folded" form it sits on 4 wheels so is far more stable than the folding version which sits on 2 wheels, a wing and a prayer. I do tend to remove the legs and store them elsewhere though rather than leave them folded up.

I have a 1 ton red hoist that was a good price, but this looks much better as it sits on four wheels when folded. OK this means that it is larger than mine when not extended ooo er. But they can be a pain on two wheels if you want to move it over rough or uneven ground as I have found out via some bumps and scrapes when over balanced.

Plus with this you will get a good lifting weight at long distance.

Marc.

Nige -expect to pay a lot more than that for a decent one, one of the big problems you have with LR drivetrain, especially diseasels is weight, and also reach.

A 1 tonne crane may lift 1 tonne, but you'll find it limited to say 750Kg or less when the top arm is extended, still enough, but you are straining it unnecessarily.

Now, with reach, I find it job to get enough reach with most hoists to allow you to balance an engine/box assembly, making things awkward/dangerous, get one with as long a reach as you can... I remember getting out (or putting in, I can't remember) Bish's 200TDI with him and the whole hoist just suddenly tipped forward and smacked Bish on the leg pretty badly IIRC, could have been a lot worse -might have cracked the sump :lol:;)

I use one like this pretty often:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DRAPER-EXPERT-2-TONNE-FOLDING-ENGINE-CRANE-/390298306272?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5adf9786e0

In fact it looks a rebadged version of what I do use, but mine is red... enough reach, enough stability, and folds up really well into less than a filing cabinet sized square. on the floor. All the wheels are metal and the pump is a double acting cylinder for speed :)

Really not sure how much you are willing to spend though :)

I've used the Clarke 1 tonne (looks exactly the same as the sealey/draper ones) a few times to hoike out TDi's and the Isuzu lump.

I'll be getting another one to do the next job as it's about right and not too heavy and cumbersome. It is about on it's limit with the arm out, but still feels stable.

They're a bit big for me to store in the shed, so I tend to pick one up cheap on ebay, get my use out of it and stick it back on - I've even made a little profit each time too :)

I've got a clark 1 ton, has done all the jobs I needed it for but reach is the biggest problem without having to remove the front bumper. I also got a load leveller which I find very useful. But you can't beat an over head beam and block and tackle.

I bought one of these eBay a year ago and expected it to be rubbish - but I'm really impressed with it.

Nick amongst others seemed to think I was dumb for buying one as it's cheaper to borrow one - but when I've needed a crane, nobody has been falling over themselves to lend me one. I decided that buying a cheap one would be a good compromise.

I would buy the same one again like a shot.

Si

I used one of these when removing my Series drive-train. Had the benefit of being able to do it all in one piece as well.

What the mini digger or some older guy. :o

:D

Well I had the benefit of having the old guy and therefore having the digger (him being my father and all...) :rolleyes:. Was the first proper "toy" I got to play with as a 5 year old since in the middle of a field there was very little damage you could do... :D

I bought one of these eBay a year ago and expected it to be rubbish - but I'm really impressed with it.

Nick amongst others seemed to think I was dumb for buying one as it's cheaper to borrow one - but when I've needed a crane, nobody has been falling over themselves to lend me one. I decided that buying a cheap one would be a good compromise.

I would buy the same one again like a shot.

Si

Are there castors on the front of that 2 ton unit? I bet they make it easier to manoeuvre. Do the six wheels cause problems over rougher ground or have you the benefit of a nice flat workshop floor? Idealy I need one with all terrain wheels on.

Are there castors on the front of that 2 ton unit? I bet they make it easier to maneuver. Do the six wheels cause problems over rougher ground or have you the benefit of a nice flat workshop floor? Idealy I need one with all terrain wheels on.

All six wheels are casters. Although they look tiny in the picture, they are not as small in reality. I'll not pretend they are great off-road, but they are better than most I've used. I think that's at least in part because it has six wheels which spreads the load a little. The middle wheels are mostly used when you fold up the legs - so you can still wheel it around easily.

I have a concrete square, but inevitably, with a truck parked on it, the crane is half on the concrete and half on the grass.

The biggest negative I've found about it is not having any handles to push it around by. However, 5 mins with a welder will soon fix that!

I've been impressed with how heavy a load it will lift at full extension and remain stable. The rear stay-bars triangulate the structure and make it a lot more rigid. It beats the pants off the last few I've used, including one I hired.

I forgot to mention the two most important things!

1. It has unusually long reach and quotes 1/2 ton at maximum reach. Most of the others I've used have not really had the lift to yank out a Tdi at full extension or vice versa.

2. The front wheels are not too far apart. All too often, the front wheels only just fit between the vehicle wheels and it gives little chance of maneuvering the engine sideways. This is helped on mine by having casters on the front.

The negative about the front casters is it makes the front fairly high off the ground - so not ideal for taking the engines out of many (ordinary) cars. But I don't own any of them - so I don't care!

Si

I have the same as you Si - and I'd reccommend it also. I'd agree with the unusally long reach too.

I've actually used it on a smaller car (Volvo) and found the front wheels were fine clearance wise.

Something I've been meaning to get round to is hook up a hyraulic power pack from a tipper lorry to it. Easy peasy for lifing/lowering then!

Something I've been meaning to get round to is hook up a hyraulic power pack from a tipper lorry to it. Easy peasy for lifing/lowering then!

I have to admit, it's crossed my mind more than once! Then it just needs some electric wheelchair motors to drive the wheels - and I could change engines (well, almost) sitting in my office!

Si

I too bought the crane mentioned by Si and can't fault it, especially as mine was £135 including delivery.

One thing worth noting is that some manufacturers quote the capacity in Tonnes (metric) and some in Tons (Imperial/US)and as everyone knows, Imperial = more!