Were the hell do they keep going

So where do you find a padlock that can withstand a snatch recovery by a 110 in low-box? :ph34r:

sadly thats a good point! :( and i will find something! :i-m_so_happy:

the theives took off with it until the chain pulled tight, he got in a lot of trouble for the injuries they sustained.

god help them if i caught them at it! [bASEBALL BAT OUT] SMASH THEIR SPINE TO PIECES!!! [/bASEBALL BAT PUT BACK] :angry: :angry:

anyone fancy taking mine? :moglite:

(sorry, its been a long day.. -_- )

......I did once know a bloke who put 20' of chain around the back axle of his disco round an rsj that was well concreted in, the theives took off with it until the chain pulled tight, he got in a lot of trouble for the injuries they sustained.

So by the same logic if I were to have my defender parked up on private property and have stopped part way through bleeding the brake system because it was being a bugger and I had gone off to bed, I would be liable for injuries to a scrote that stole it and crashed into wall/other driver/etc....

What is this world coming to? Next they'll sue you for not leaving enough diesel in for the getaway

So by the same logic if I were to have my defender parked up on private property and have stopped part way through bleeding the brake system because it was being a bugger and I had gone off to bed, I would be liable for injuries to a scrote that stole it and crashed into wall/other driver/etc....

What is this world coming to? Next they'll sue you for not leaving enough diesel in for the getaway

Don't know if there's any case law which would clarify that, but if so it would come under the Occupiers Liabilty Act 1984.

It would take a very smart lawyer, but I reckon you could under that enactment be held liable if you left a car with no brakes on the drive and someone stole it and subsequently was injured, unless of course you provided a warning notice :P

Don't know if there's any case law which would clarify that, but if so it would come under the Occupiers Liabilty Act 1984.

It would take a very smart lawyer, but I reckon you could under that enactment be held liable if you left a car with no brakes on the drive and someone stole it and subsequently was injured, unless of course you provided a warning notice :P

Right then, I'm off to print up a notice advising all crims that my car is unsafe and driving it without my permission may kill or seriously injure them, that should sort it :P

Far more effective than other security ;)

And that's the problem. Too much emphasis is put on the "rights" of criminals.

Untill we start to to say "tough" when these scum get hurt and bring in proper punishments the thievery will go on.

Bring back the stocks, take away their assets, cars, money, homes.

I'd cut their hands off, seriously.

I'd cut their hands off, seriously.

Steady, you saw the trouble Clarkson got into last week! :)

SimonR used to suggest that leaving a Haynes manual open on the drivers seat was a deterrent. I once had a car broken into and the Haynes manual (and nothing else!) stolen.

On another occasion a car radio got nicked but the villain cut himself and left a drop of his DNA in the car. The cops caught him, only released from prison a fortnight before. Probably got sent to Disneyland for his punishment, he was not made to compensate me for a broken window and a missing stereo. :(

I must confess to being very lax about my security. I think I have been very lucky with my 110 to date. My 90 just looks like a sh***er which I hope makes it less attractive as the body is all dented and/or rusty and the interior little better. I like to think that it is mechanically good though - the leaky diff would suggest otherwise... I usually leave the doors unlocked (on the drive) and nothing valuable inside on the basis that a broken window is quite expensive to fix.

Chris

I think the law would probably look at it in terms of intent.

If you left the car without brakes so that if it were stolen, they would be injured - then you had intent to cause them harm. If you were innocently replacing brake pipes for example and had no intent to injure - you'd be OK.

A 20 foot length of chain, to me suggests intent. You will be able to drive away but then be stopped abruptly. However a 2 foot length of chain is unlikely to cause injury and thus your intent is only to stop the vehicle being stolen. Both are equally effective in stopping the theft.

Although in this case it may protect someone committing a crime, the intention is to protect us from the hard of thinking, malicious or criminal which on balance, I think is the lesser of two evils.

Leaving a Haynes manual open on the engine problems page I think is a good deterrent. I talked to someone who used to remove the seat base and leave an old cylinder head in it's place - which more visually serves the same principle! (So long as your 'intent' was not for them to sit on it and injure their bottom on the rocker cover studs! ;) )

Si

I talked to someone who used to remove the seat base and leave an old cylinder head in it's place - which more visually serves the same principle! (So long as your 'intent' was not for them to sit on it and injure their bottom on the rocker cover studs! ;) )

Would those be the same 'special' studs with very fine points on the end? :lol:

I had 2 RRC nicked a few years back, in one go. I'm pretty sure that someone's challenge truck was soon powered by my JE sourced 4.6 engine! there was no evidence they ever passed the CCTV protecting the industrial park they were in. The 1st one I had nicked I'm sure was weighed in the next day

It's the same problem as with motorbikes, there are a hard core of people who don't care where their spares come form or who pays for them as long as they can keep having their fun!

I'm sorry if this offends the majority of innocent participators in motorsport but as said, if no-one bought nicked cars/bikes/household electrical items, no-one would nick them, right?

A 20 foot length of chain, to me suggests intent. You will be able to drive away but then be stopped abruptly. However a 2 foot length of chain is unlikely to cause injury and thus your intent is only to stop the vehicle being stolen. Both are equally effective in stopping the theft.

I think this would be the reason he got into trouble..

Much thought I have had about a clutch claw, but for me ot doesn't go quite far enough, something which locked all three pedals together would suit me better. There's also Big Un, but again, slightly lacking to me, I'd rather see a combined Big Un/Clutch Claw....maybe I just like over-engineering.....

Alarms for sure are more trouble than they're worth..devloping faults and draining batteries, and no-one looks when a car alarm goes off anymore. There are a number of trackers out there, some quite sophisticated. A friend has one that cost him about £75 and uses a mobile sim card. Its able to text him whenever his 109 is doing something it shouldn't, and it can also be set up to shut down the engine, which he could do while Police were persuing. Unfortuately every time I ask him what make it his he can't remember and always forgets to look it up!

I don't think there is anything you can do which will make a vehicle unstealable. All you are doing is adding a deterrent effect and adding to the time required to steal it.

Unless they are after something specific to one vehicle, hopefully the combination will make them go after an easier target.

Therefore, I think the best options are things that are highly visible and bold. Steering locks and pedal boxes would seem the most obvious - even though they are a pain to store and attach in most cases. If they bother to take the time and risk removing one, they were probably after that specific vehicle and it would still go even if it was encased in concrete!

I used to live in a road which had a 'mobile encampment' at one end. Nost nights at least one or two card would have the radio nicked or occasionally the whole vehicle, particularly if it had a tow bar. This is where I learned the Haynes Manual trick. I also used to leave the drivers door wide open. Though that sounds like it's asking for trouble - there is a degree of reverse psychology to it. To the thieves it looks suspicious! Maybe it's a trap and you're waiting round the corner with a meat cleaver? Maybe someone has already stolen the radio? One way or another I was conspicuous in never having had my Land Rover touched at all.

I agree Simon. The way I see it there are two distinct groups of thefts occuring here.

1. Joy-riders or general wrongdoers - These guys are nicking the vehicle for a laugh, they'll smash and grab, tear round in the car for a bit (probably smashing it up in the process) and then dump it, probably burning it out to remove the evidednce. Most of these guys are probably going to be put off by things like alarms and immobilisers, as well as the visible deterrents that Simon mentions above. Too much hassle to bypass these for the sake of a joyride, and plenty of easier targets about.

2. Professional steal-break rackets. These guys are part of an organised structure of crime, the bosses will pay a price per vehicle and the thieves will scout out targets and wait for the opportune moment to strike based on your movement patterns etc. These guys will be able to steal even alarm-equipped Td5s without even sounding the alarm and easily bypassing the immobiliser. Once these guys have decided they want your vehicle they will get it one way or another. Pretty much all security measures are useless in that case, HIAB-equipped thefts are rare, but do happen!

As far as I can see, the only way to discourage the latter group (who I think are the ones we need to worry more about) is to find a way of preventing their end trade. They are stealing the vehicle with a view to breaking it for parts or shipping it abroad. We can discourage the former by security-marking parts, you can get the UV-reactive labels which you apply to body panels etc. these days for not much money. There were some in the latest LRO on offer. Not much you can do to prevent full-vehicle shipping, ID markers or reg-numbers etched into the windows aren't much of a deterrent once the vehicle is in Africa! The way to stop this is to increase thoroughness of shipping inspection, but that is not something we can do.

GPS or GSM trackers are useless in my opinion, as they can both be blocked/jammed with cheaply-available plug-in devices.The VHF trackers are harder to prevent the operation of, though not invincible. A lot of thieves will steal the vehicle, then leave it somewhere for a week in order to see if it has a tracker fitted. Then when it's been recovered they'll nick it again using a jammer.

I still haven't decided on secuirty measures. I was going to fit the standard Td5 alarm, but seeing how easily that is bypassed I don't think I'll bother any more! Visible heavy-duty protection methods are good, but a PITA to fit/remove in the morning/evening. I'd certainly like it to be in a garage rather than out in the open. At least then by securing the garage there are two levels of protection in effect.

Like the light Fridge, will go high on my want's from Santa..

Nice one

My old 4 legged Black'n'Gold anti-theft mobile deterent was fantastic, until the local cats come round then he got all sort of distracted....

Kept 'em on their toes though.

going back to what James said about the trackers, that basis of them are good, but the blockers are the problem. this may sound silly, but if we had like a absolutely knackered defender which looked 'appealing' fitted with a tracker, hope it gets stolen, and when they park it up for a week or however long, don't go to get, leave it so we'll see where it goes? and then bust the whole operation?

tbh, sacrificing one to save 100's is a good idea in my books!!!

That is how several operations have been caught out, through the use of the VFR Tracker system which some of the police patrol cars are fitted with. The problem is finding it if they do block the tracker.

Unfortunately what with the lack of resources that most police forces are faced with currently, which is going to get worse in the future, I can't seeing the recovery rate getting any better any time soon.

That is how several operations have been caught out, through the use of the VFR Tracker system which some of the police patrol cars are fitted with. The problem is finding it if they do block the tracker.

Unfortunately what with the lack of resources that most police forces are faced with currently, which is going to get worse in the future, I can't seeing the recovery rate getting any better any time soon.

thats the thing, it doesnt really matter if it dont come back, hence why i said a knackered one rather than a swanky td5. could the tracker not be hidden in the chassis rails and feed of the trailer electrics supply? hidden under an innocent patch?

and sadly, i think, your right!, this problem is with us to stay! if something quick isnt done! :(

I wonder what response you would have off sellers at places like Newbury if you took a digital photograph of them and checked some form of ID for every part that was purchased along with a receipt signed and perhaps a finger print on sticky tape to protect yourself against being prosecuted for recieving stolen goods? If they are unwilling just walk away.

The anti theft device I use is a removable steering wheel

I lock it up in the 3mm thick steel cubby box when out and about, take it inside if the vehicle is not going to be use for a few days

Was also looking at a padlock system [home made] to lock the Hi-Neutral-Lo box lever into Neutral or into Lo ratio.

Paul.

I have my suspicions of where they go I am from up north (Doncaster area) and used to work for a scrap yard/dismantler about 8 years ago, I was offered some cash in hand night shifts a few times but turned them down. But every few days there would be a few trucks with containers on the back leaving the yard no one seemed to ever see what was put in them and didn't care to ask. It was a long while after leaving there that the thought crossed my mind about them been filled with stolen car parts..The Boss was a total T***T and I wouldn't be surprised as all that interested them was money money money...

Let's face it they are not small vehicles to be moving about and to be hiding the numbers that are going missing it's a very organized affair. I think all breakers should have 24/7 high quality CCTV at their cost, that is routinely checked by police remotely. Let's face it the established scrap car traders have had it easy for years and still have really. After all we pay for the cameras that catch us speeding etc.. I bet a few vehicles get found then!!!

What about covert capture cars? Proved very effective here in Devon..

• 3 months later...

Another gone missing from it's home, been broadcast on the RSGB news this morning ]1st April 2012]

On 24 March, sometime between 0230 and sunrise, in Kenninghall, Norfolk, Peter Lock, M0RYB had his red Land Rover Defender 90 X191 FVC stolen. Inside was an Icom IC-7000, serial number 1002538. The crime Number is 12618/12/0. If anyone has any information on the whereabouts of the radio, or vehicle, please contact Peter via doc.lock@tesco.net so that he can pass the information onto the police