Rattle guns

JeffR

My "trusty" rattle gun expired in a puff of smoke and smell of burning electrics today (came in a blue box!), so looks like I'm in the market for a new one. Not bothered if its coreded (must be 240v) or cordless.

Suggestions please gentlemen.

If you don't need cordless then I just acquired one of these: http://www.amazon.co...duct/B0039BQRUO to persuade a stubborn crank pulley bolt to come off. Worked very well but it is quite a big and heavy beast. No idea how durable it will prove to be but the build quality seems reasonable.

Oh dear. A rattle gun on wheel nuts....No please

I bought a Clarke / Sealy gun a little over a year ago. It was about half the price of most of the others - but I've been really impressed with it and I use it a lot! There was a thread about it at the time.

I would like a much smaller, lighter one (mine is quite heavy). I bought a little Bosch gun which was quite expensive but found it very limited in what it would tackle - then it let the smoke out on the second day of use. It's replacement did the same - then they refunded me!

Si

Si, for a smaller gun, try the Makita intermediate rattle gun, really nice bit of kit, and taken a lot of abuse from me and my mate, he's now bought the bigger brother as well :)

http://www.itslondon.co.uk/pd_MAKBTW251Z_BTW251Z_Makita18vLiionImpactWrenchBody.htm

It does eventually run out of puff, but it will do most stuff and critically it is small enough to fit where the big one doesn't.

not exactly a rattle gun as such but, we have the makita 18V lithium ion impact driver and you can put in a 1/4 or 3/8 adapter. it will undo all bolts which are generally covered by the 1/4 range. in fact its ideal for pulling out the floor or undoing wing-bulkhead bolts on a series 3

http://www.google.co...ed=0CJkBEPMCMAU

i have an air rattle gun for the heavy stuff.

edit (and the 18v Li ion batteries are great, they last ages, you can charge them no matter how much batterys left in them and they dont "memory" also they take about 20 mins to charge from flat which is so much quicker than most other tool batteries)

Lithion Lipo and brushless is the wy forward. there will be some serious cordless drills/grinders out there in a couple of years and the technology is getting seriously cheap now so it shouldn't be too long until we get some good deals.

I got a sealey/machine mart gun about £70 or there abouts works great not used in anger yet but as Si says big and bulky not the best but more than hefty enough for what I want it for.

Cheers chaps, my old one was a Rolson! that lasted about 5 years (including a few flying trips into the garden shrubbery). I am tending towards a corded one at the minute as their is nothing worse than getting half way thro a job and the battery goes flat...

Oh dear. Another worthless post by Mike...No please

I mainly use air at my workshop, but for mobile needs I own a couple of Snap-on 1/2 inch cordless impact guns, very good and never had any issues. Stating the obvious carry a second battery ^_^

• 5 months later...

Just to bump this i am in dire need of a rattle gun.

Priced up the new snap on gun today at 580 inc vat, only things that appear to come close are a bosch or milwaukee but neither of these seem to give enough umph from what i've read.

There are 10 snap on guns at work from old old to 12months old and they all get regular abuse and are going strong so they maybe expensive but seem to stand the test of time.

Anything to sway me?

Cheers, Will.

Will,

I've bought several different makes for work, including the Bosch & none of them seem to be able to compete with the SnapOn ones (I'm no big fan of SnapOn these days but the rattle guns are superb)

I think that seems to be the general consensus. He didn't seem to want to demo me one unfortunately but the boxs 450 lb/ft out does the older model by a decent wack so hoping it will be good.

Will.

Got one of the new lithium guns on thurs, was playing about with it yesterday and was impressed, undid some wheelnuts that a 12month old snap on wouldnt touch and never even sniffed at some M20s i couldnt crack with a 1/2" bar.

Once the batterys have a few more cycles in them i will be able to give it some proper pain.

Will.

I just bought a Makita Lithium Impact gun on eBay for about £135 - intending to use it for assembling the X-Trousers. The gun is tiny - palm size but the torque it produces is very impressive. It will undo my wheel nuts fairly easily.

It's small enough to fit in to a tool box - and I think I'll buy another one to keep in the 110.

Si

I bought on of the 240V Clarke ones this week (CEW1000) because my cheap air rattle gun just didn't have enough power to undo a crankshaft bolt. It is also quicker than firing up my bigger compressor. It did the job very well, even if it is big and heavy.