The "Pass the Bucket" 4x4 For Sale on Ebay Thread

Hybrid_From_Hell

I have to say this is not something I know a lot about, but surely it's never been legal to have a vehicle registered as something with which it shares no parts other than the reg plate?

I'm aware the one in the link above shares a few parts but none of the 'critical' ones.

I believe theres always been a points system, and the chassis holds a big part of those points.

Also i dont think they've ever actually allowed you to re-use another vehicles chassis with some other cars ID. If you do that, you've built a ringer.

If you took some donor and build a new chassis, a-la kit cars, then so long as you used most of the components from the donor you could keep the donors ID. The key is NEW chassis.

If you take a used range rover chassis, and attach everything from a tax-exempt series to it, its still a range rover. You cant transfer the series ID to the range rover chassis, because the range rover chassis has its own ID. Furthermore, they've not even tranferred everything, because its still running the range rover axles/suspension/steering, so theres no possible way you can legitimise its heritige. Its simply a range rover with a series body fitted.

You might have just enough grey area to get away with it if you'd bought a brand new range rover chassis, and fitted all the parts from a series vehicle to that.

Cue ...........

“No one expects the Spanish Inquisition Da LR4x4 SVA Police ....our chief weapon is surprise, fear and surprise;

SVAPOLICEMedium.jpg

two chief weapons, fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency, ..

Er, among our chief weapons are: fear, surprise, ruthless efficiency, and near fanatical devotion to the SVA IVA Manual ...

Um, I'll come in again...”

Pre SVA all you had to do is prove ownership of the parts, the reason the points system came in with SVA is because a lot of people abused the old system. Yes you were "supposed" to get a Q plate if you didn't use the donor chassis, but it was always down to the individual inspector at your licensing office. Generally if you had a log book for the donor, even if you used very little from it, you would get it MOT'd, insured and taxed on that registration number, change the chassis number in the log book and in my case take the car to Guildford with a wad of receipts and the log book. He would thumb through the receipts and take the log book from you, and a week or two later you got a new log book with all the details changed. I even changed the Make and Model on my Marlin log book so nothing agreed with the original details and still got it approved. You could find things like a Suzuki chassis with a ford engine registered as a Jago on the ford registration number!

Can anyone tell me why they never bother to tidy up before taking pictures of the trucks for sale? I like the something that is hanging from a hook on the back of it in one of the pictures, but why not show it off when taking pictures? Surely it would say more than the tatty ones we see here!!!