The "Pass the Bucket" 4x4 For Sale on Ebay Thread

Hybrid_From_Hell

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like a pretty good piece of kit hadn't it been for the number of bolts. Half would have been overkill.

He also has a Salisbury diff pan - I bought a similar one from the US a while back and paid a lot more.

The seller used to be a regular poster on here and makes some seriously good (and strong) kit for the UK challenge scene. Some of his engineering work needs to be seen to be appreciated.

The seller used to be a regular poster on here and makes some seriously good (and strong) kit for the UK challenge scene. Some of his engineering work needs to be seen to be appreciated.

First person to give me a good answer to how many bolts I shou have used gets a free dif pan then you can tell all how it realy is

First person to give me a good answer to how many bolts I shou have used gets a free dif pan then you can tell all how it realy is

How about the same number that hold the diff in?

It depends on a number of factors. One of the most important in this case is the flexibility of the brim of the guard versus the flexibility of the gasket versus the flexibility of the axle casing.

Assuming the brim is 10mm thick, it's flexibility is going to be similar to a diff housing, so used with a similar gasket, the same number of bolts should be adequate.

If the intention of the large number of bolts is to pull the outer face of the axle flat (which it isn't because there is a weld on ring) then the number of bolts might be justified. An alternative might just be to use a thicker gasket however to make up the irregularities.

If the ring were welded in place bolted to the cover - I would again say that the number of bolts used to bolt the diff in place would be sufficient.

My feeling is that the number of bolts is aesthetic rather than functional. Customers will probably view lots of bolts as stronger and thus better.

So, in conclusion, the right number of bolts is the number that maximizes sales.

Just in case this is the 'right' answer - I don't really need one. I've never had a problem with the original not being strong enough. They have become a trendy thing for people to fit, but for many people they are just for show.

I've often wondered why nobody makes one which looks like a 'bottom', with a strategically placed fill plug! I'm sure you could sell them like hot-cakes! :ph34r:

Mods: Sorry if this crosses the line of taste & decency I've come to expect from LR4x4 ;)

Si

i dont think anyone here thinks there is a problem with so many bolts, just the fact that its serious overkill.

I agree - don't take it as a criticism Carl

Better it be too strong than too weak!

Si

I agree - don't take it as a criticism Carl

Better it be too strong than too weak!

Si

No Si, I have not taken it as criticism but while someone has thrown a part I make on here I thought I would say something, maybe overkill on the bolts bit it will never fall off and I like it.

I've often wondered why nobody makes one which looks like a 'bottom', with a strategically placed fill plug! I'm sure you could sell them like hot-cakes! :ph34r:

Mods: Sorry if this crosses the line of taste & decency I've come to expect from LR4x4 ;)

Si

:hysterical:

There's no need to get all R C about it Si ;)

That might get bought and also exported but seeing as they're clamping down on fiddled with vehicles in the US-i.e.: Galv'd chassis then the only place that will probably end up is in the crusher-bad end to a good vehicle