The "Pass the Bucket" 4x4 For Sale on Ebay Thread

Hybrid_From_Hell

As they admit it was built so recently, it would indeed not be legal. But sometimes you have to be careful with build dates, if it was built before SVA came in it would be perfectly legal, I was involved in the building of many kit cars in the '80's and then you got a Q plate most of the time, but provided the man from the licensing centre was happy you could register it on the number of the donor vehicle, even if you didn't use all the mechanics from it. I still think you would have struggled to get this through without a Q plate though.

Regardless of the legality of the vehicle has anyone noticed the rear tube of the roll cage? What they have done to it to get a little longer side flap for the rear section seems a bit silly.

What about the manky looking bits of box to mount the rear ARB? I'd want something a bit prettier on a 23k vehicle. And that diff guard on the Salisbury gives it about 3" ground clearance.

Good point! I'd forgotten about the diff guard .... it looks like a boat ..... plenty of space to hold mud and water. The ground clearance doesn't look good either, although it might just be the grass...

The box section ARB supports do look like something knocked up in a bush garage when compared to most of the vehicle.

I dont get why you'd put all that effort into a build, then put it on a dodgy plate to save what is in the grand scheme a totally inconsequential annual fee for the tax disk.

Theres enough defender parts there that theres clearly been a defender donor vehicle used, so why not just use its ID. Unless its all nicked stuff?

Furthermore, even if it WAS all nicked, surely less attention would be attracted by getting a cheap, rotten defender and using its ID, than using some tax free thing from the 70's

^^ Totally agree, unless of course the dodgy plate allowed them to pay a lot less to the RAC for a carnet to tour Africa? Not sure how the RAC deal with the vehicle value but if it is purely on age then this might be why....

I like:

"CHASSIS IS IN FANTASTIC CONDITION (needs one very small patch of welding)"

Fantastic means something different to me???

"I have included a few pics of what it used to look like."

Versus

"Take a good look at the pictures, they are a good representation of how they look and condition"

Maybe the second statement refers to the photos themselves, not the vehicle?

I think the Zombie Apocalypse must have come and gone in Nottingham.

Si

Chainsaw may be listed shortly

in the meantime his "Stands high and goes everywhere and anywhere Discovery Bobtailed/ Bobtail On/Off Road 200 TDi "

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=261214976899&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:GB:1123

Class work

looks terrible, some better all round photo's would help, can't tell anything from the carp pics in the ad.

So the chassis, engine, gearbox, axles and bodywork are all from more recent vehicles. Has a lovely tax exempt windscreen though :rofl:

...and roof, front wings, rear tub and doors. The chassis has probably been shortened to suit the 88" series body, as opposed to being 92.5"!

Been there, done this 20 odd years ago. The main difference was we used the tax exempt RRC identity and reg number, as that is what the majority of the parts came from.

It certainly shouldn't be on the series reg number.

If it's pre SVA then it is perfectly legal, we all did this in the kitcar world and they only needed receipts to prove you owned all the parts.

I have to say this is not something I know a lot about, but surely it's never been legal to have a vehicle registered as something with which it shares no parts other than the reg plate?

I'm aware the one in the link above shares a few parts but none of the 'critical' ones.