Today I have been mostly.... winching a garage into the sky

BogMonster

The latest phase in the mega garage construction saw some winching :)

A bit of head scratching on how to get the roof trusses up to their not inconsiderable 5.7m height led to a 'different' solution. Could have hired a telescopic forklift (but not on a public holiday) so....

post-33-0-47221800-1335224391_thumb.jpg

post-33-0-29520400-1335224385_thumb.jpg

Pulled the first one up to see how it would work and then rigged a snatch block from the apex of the A frame to take the winch cable, and in no time had seven of the sixteen up and secure. It worked like a treat, because you could take the strain on the winch (gotta love that wireless remote) and pull back the other way to steady it in mid air while it was nailed into place.

Not long to go now, can't wait to have a decent workshop again :)

I keep getting reminded that it's quite a lot bigger than the house so I think that may be the next project <_<

Looks like it'll be a fantastic project, and by the looks of things a decent test track bog on your doorstep too!

Awesome, good old fashioned barn raising stylee!!! - heck of a location, although looks a tad exposed! hope you've got plenty of draft seal! :)

I think they're known as 'penguins' locally...

I'll get me coat.

I hope to get the rest of the roof trusses up on Saturday if it's not too windy, then on with the OSB ply and roofing (not looking forward to that as I don't like roofs) in with the windows and door and the two roller doors then finally the wall cladding to finish it off, unless winter gets in the way in which case the Tyvek will have a damp winter!

Overall its 9 metres by 12 metres floor area so should be "relatively" future proof but I remember building the garage at my last house which was 6.5x9 and thinking that was big enough, you can barely move in there now... this is near enough twice the size so should take a bit longer to fill up!

We've gone from a pile of timber to a garage kit in 3 weekends and a few evenings so I am feeling quite chuffed so far :)

Any forum members who are passing are welcome to drop in for a beer so I'll see all none of you on Saturday then :P

You lucky, lucky expletive deleted! My garage is barely large enough to fit the wifes Mini in, the "garage" I use for the 110 is a large blue tarp....

Mind you as the wife has just pointed out, 9mx12m floor space has the potential to be a fanatastic junk storage area :i-m_so_happy: , after all remember that useful stuff, like computer software, has the tendancy to expand to fill the available space....

A couple of my old RAF colleges are down south at the moment, can they pick up the beer on my behalf?

Jason.

Don't do collection by proxy :P

... and that, children, is how the Falkland Islands came to have no trees. ;)

Mo

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I love the sound of a chainsaw in the morning :D

Don't do collection by proxy :P

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I love the sound of a chainsaw in the morning :D

Now you start imposing rules!! I had them lined up to fly over.

They can fly over if they want to but if the whoosh knocks it down or knocks me off the roof there'll be trouble :rtfm::D

Be careful what you wish for...... I was once blown off the roof of a building by the down wash from a rota blade!! :rolleyes: Are you not at the structural load testing phase then?

Jason.