One Car too far - TV Series

simonr

Dont know if many of you have seen it. OK it stars a Jeep Wrangler and is a little contrived, but I thought it was pretty good!

The basis of the series is two people are dropped off in a difficult off road situation with the jeep and have to drive / improvise their way out. Most programmes about 4x4ing are truly dreadful "lets OFF ROAD!" kind of thing - but the programme I watched tonight had many of the same kinds of situations we've all encountered. Not least, in my case, a wheel falling off!!

It's being shown on the Discovery Channel (Sky Ch 520) with several showings throughout the week. It was good enough for me to series-link it!

Si

I did laugh heartily at the broken semi-float axle though :)

Me too! That doesnt strike me as the worlds best design! Unfortunately, it is the lightest and more importantly, cheapest beam axle configuration. Glad Land Rover have not gone down that route (yet!).

Cameras tend to flatten steep hills and make things look less scary. There were however a couple of shots of the Jeep in what looked like scary places - so they were probably terrifying from the cab! If you have a roll, it's going to keep rolling for half an hour kind of places!

Si

I've seen the series, Jeep or not it was enjoyable to watch. Like you said it shows many situations that Land Rover drivers have encountered and their resourcefulness to clearing the hinders in front of them. Episode 5 I think it was is where they sit down and give their tips/tricks from the previous shows. It was so boring I couldn't watch it longer than 5 minutes. For a novice it would have been informative but it's not for this crowd.

Todd.

Yesterday that show was on for the first time here on discovery channel. I tolerated it till the first ads, about 15mins... Didn't like it... The driver is supposed to be an 'expert offroad driver survival' kind of guy (the true wilderness survival guy being the other one) but come one, there's no way you'll drive your vehicle like that, or deliberatly take obstacle you could drive around, when your life may depend on it. It was all for show. Quite obviously, otherwise no-one would watch it as it looks too boring. Didn't like the driver otherwise either. That other guy could have more interesting skills on the other hand.

If I was the survival guy I would have kicked driver man out of the camp on the second night.

First night driver boy refuses to help build the tent and ignores survivor man and tries to sleep in the cab. Half way through the night he realises his mistake and climbs in to the tent. Then on the next night he again refuses to do any work on the camp and then survivor man appologises to him!!!

Loved the drivers face when tother guy disapeared down the crevase!

Marc.

So I just watched the next installment and boy was it sus.

Expert driver Bill is tanking it through the forrest and drives blind through shrubs into a swamp.

But before that the best bit, they have to cross a deep flooded stream so they decide to build a brdge using four logs. So where to get them as they are surrounded by small trees. Oh look down there under the water there are four equal sized freshly cut to size logs just happen to there!

Marc.

I managed around 10 minutes of the 1st one, was kind of hoping after 10 mins that both "crew" and Jeep would fall down one of the crevasses, preferably ending with the Jeep exploding into a fireball in true IRT animation style. As, unfortunately, there didn't seem to be any realistic chance of that happening it got turned off and the series link deleted.

I too managed around ten minutes. This sounds interesting though:

Episode 5 I think it was is where they sit down and give their tips/tricks from the previous shows. It was so boring I couldn't watch it longer than 5 minutes. For a novice it would have been informative but it's not for this crowd.

I dunno, we're not all trial-queens with years of experience in the brown stuff...some of us are novices at that. That Californian douchebag though appears to just follow the Clarkson-mantra "POWER!" - which is sometimes appropriate, but by no means always...

:offtopic:

I'm obviously easily pleased!

I used to work in TV (as a Techie) and I think tend to turn a blind eye to the obviously staged elements of programmes including mock arguments between presenters and 'planted' props / kit. Instead, I get annoyed at bad edits, frame rolls, noisy edges on chroma keys, colour balance, sound sync, fringing etc - which I don't think anyone else pays any attention to nor cares about!

It means I can enjoy things like this where the production quality is good, even if the content is questionable!

Si

Lol, I get annoyed when you can see an obvious green reflection on a presenters face in programs where they are using a green screen, is that chroma keying?

Scrap heap challenge is a great example of staged tv .... either that or I really need to find the scrap yard they use :P But I still enjoy it as entertainment ..... just ask my wife how much armchair engineering I do when it's on ;)

I guess it's down to whether you view it as entertainment of an eductional program......

Lol, I get annoyed when you can see an obvious green reflection on a presenters face in programs where they are using a green screen, is that chroma keying?

Scrap heap challenge is a great example of staged tv .... either that or I really need to find the scrap yard they use :P But I still enjoy it as entertainment ..... just ask my wife how much armchair engineering I do when it's on ;)

I guess it's down to whether you view it as entertainment of an eductional program......

Ahh, scrap heap challenge. The 'scrap heap' was based on Bramley Training area, north of Basingstoke. However I believe it has now all be cleared from there and doesn't exist anymore.