Brit Part

Simon_CSK

Have been given a quote for the parts that I need for a rolling chassis project for my Disco. I have been offered Britpart Polybushes and brake discs. I know the discs are manufactured to the BS so they should be fine but what about the poly bushes.

If they are Ok should I opt for the Yellow or the Black? What is the Difference?

Thnaks

I would agree for bushes but as for the discs they have not had a bad word said from people who have ACTUALLY used them.

I did ask about them on another forum but was lambasted with idiots who did not read the post properly and who's opinions were based on a rumor from the pub in a town 300 miles away, the 7 guys who had them fitted said the drilled and grooved discs were spot on and wore nice and evenly with no distortion and it really improved the braking and reduced the tendency to fade on long down hill sections of the motorways and with higher ambient temps.

I would agree for bushes but as for the discs they have not had a bad word said from people who have ACTUALLY used them.

I did ask about them on another forum but was lambasted with idiots who did not read the post properly and who's opinions were based on a rumor from the pub in a town 300 miles away, the 7 guys who had them fitted said the drilled and grooved discs were spot on and wore nice and evenly with no distortion and it really improved the braking and reduced the tendency to fade on long down hill sections of the motorways and with higher ambient temps.

I'd prefer it if you didnt call me an idiot - nowhere on your original LRO post did you say not to mention anything regarding Britpart quality. As stated by several in the other thread - there are thousands of complaints about BP on the internet forums and very few about the other aftermarket suppliers. You are unlikely to find many that sing the praises of BP on here either. If you wish to use them for safety critical parts then that is your call - whether you get a batch of brake discs that have been made properly or not is down to pot luck if you buy from them.

Back to the original thread, the bushes LR fitted originally last for a long time so another vote for genuine there - i plan to replace all of mine with genuine parts over the next year given their long life, they probably work out more economic than most aftermarket alternatives.

Having used polybushes and genuine - unless you actually need polybushes for whatever reason, fit genuine.

I went through a set of polybushes in about 15k. Replaced with a different brand...same story. Eventually refitted genuine bushes, but sold the vehicle shortly after. Given that the original genuine bushes did the 120k to the first set, I'd expect the second set to last the same.

I'd prefer it if you didnt call me an idiot - nowhere on your original LRO post did you say not to mention anything regarding Britpart quality. As stated by several in the other thread - there are thousands of complaints about BP on the internet forums and very few about the other aftermarket suppliers. You are unlikely to find many that sing the praises of BP on here either. If you wish to use them for safety critical parts then that is your call - whether you get a batch of brake discs that have been made properly or not is down to pot luck if you buy from them.

Back to the original thread, the bushes LR fitted originally last for a long time so another vote for genuine there - i plan to replace all of mine with genuine parts over the next year given their long life, they probably work out more economic than most aftermarket alternatives.

My apologies for frankness, but having been so busy on my own car undoing shoddy bodges just to keep it going I am more than a little pi**ed off by a lot of these posts that flame BP for poor quality goods when it seems the ability of some to fit them is highly questionable!!! I speak of abilities to wire a relay correctly or to change an interior light bulb without needing to rip it out because they don't want to fix it or buy a new one, glued on bits of tin when a welded in boot floor should have been fitted years ago, and not just on my present car but countless others I have bought, sold and worked on too the horror stories I could tell you of stereos wired in with twisted wires not soldered or crimped some not even insulated, multiple odd bits of cable to wire in a stereo amplifier, a gearbox ratchet strapped into the mounts because one had gone and they put the strap on it to hold it down and it was like it for 2yrs!!! Exhausts with fibre glass insulation wrapped around the hole and an old bean can cut and wired around it to stop it blowing, genius but for a day or so but not until it has to go for the MOT, there are lots more to speak of but my OP did state experience not opinion!!!!

But I will apologize to you in particular reb78 as you actually come across as a nice guy. Sorry.

Fair enough. I do agree on fitting issues - the number of bodges you can pick up is amazing (but would expect that to affect aftermarket suppliers across the board, but we'll leave that there).

In this case, my opinion is fit genuine parts above any other aftermarket alternative - the difficulty is getting the old ones out and pressing the new ones in....need a friendly garage or a friend with a press really. I've done it with my vice, but it didnt like it!

Thanks guys for the comments very interesting despite the little infighting.

In summary the only issue with the proposals are whether I should be installing original rubber rather than poly bushes not that Britpart bushes are bad.

Diesel Dog your comments about the brake discs would stack. The brakes are manufactured to British Standard that means that they should perform to a minimum standard and manufactured to a certain quality to meet that standard so not a lottery.

So unless someone actually has had bad experience then the brake disc are fine and I need to decide on Poly bushes or rubber bushes.

No axe to grind about BP, personally I wouldn't fit them to safety critical parts but I wouldn't fit other makes either... I will only fit good quality brake parts not aftermarket ones, same goes for other components I find spending a few extra pounds tends to be money well spent.

On a different note if you use your truck off road I wouldn't fit drilled disks either they will fill up with crud, sequel and wear down the pads quickly, and IMHO are really not needed.

Jason.

I have never fitted Britpart grooved and drilled discs but I did by a car with them fitted, according to the last owner, new at the same time as the (then) current pads. I needed to change them as I was upgrading to vented discs ahead of a trip to somewhere hilly. Upon inspection the pads were about half worn but the discs were so worn that the grooves were barely discernable. Not that impressive IMHO.

I have fitted Polybushes (see, capital P!) and the current truck had Superpro bushes fitted. All now changed for genuine metalastic bushes as the polyurethane bushes wore out quickly. The Polybushes wore out the holes on the hockey sticks too, making them oversized and the LR metalastic bushes a loose fit. Not so impressed there either.

The car is now on genuine discs and mostly genuine metalastic bushes and handles and brakes nicely.

Chris

My apologies for frankness, but having been so busy on my own car undoing shoddy bodges just to keep it going I am more than a little pi**ed off by a lot of these posts that flame BP for poor quality goods when it seems the ability of some to fit them is highly questionable!!! I speak of abilities to wire a relay correctly or to change an interior light bulb without needing to rip it out because they don't want to fix it or buy a new one, glued on bits of tin when a welded in boot floor should have been fitted years ago, and not just on my present car but countless others I have bought, sold and worked on too the horror stories I could tell you of stereos wired in with twisted wires not soldered or crimped some not even insulated, multiple odd bits of cable to wire in a stereo amplifier, a gearbox ratchet strapped into the mounts because one had gone and they put the strap on it to hold it down and it was like it for 2yrs!!! Exhausts with fibre glass insulation wrapped around the hole and an old bean can cut and wired around it to stop it blowing, genius but for a day or so but not until it has to go for the MOT, there are lots more to speak of but my OP did state experience not opinion!!!!

But I will apologize to you in particular reb78 as you actually come across as a nice guy. Sorry.

What nonsense!

Britpart are garbage and that is universally accepted, not just by those who can't wire a relay.

Good luck with those brake disks Simon, you're a braver man than I.

Mo

What nonsense!

Britpart are garbage and that is universally accepted, not just by those who can't wire a relay.

Britpart are just a reseller of other peoples stuff - some of it is OK, some of it is carp - you have to look at what you are getting for your money - for example a britpart drop arm complete with ball joint is £26+VAT. The OE (adwest, not LR branded) ball joint alone is about £20 on it's own. So assuming paddock are making a reasonable margin, as well as britpart, the cost of manufacture of that safety critical part is probably about a tenner, including joint. Sounds suspiciously cheap to me..

For something like brake discs, the price difference between britpart and mintex isn't so much, and you know they have to be made to a BS number. I'd say if you took the BP and the Mintex ones out of the box you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference - they prob both come from the same factory...

Why does everyone feel the need to explain Britpart ? I do understand, I'm not a beginner ... :)

As for disks, PROBABLY both come from the same factory does not mean they are made to the same standard.

So as I said, good luck Simon with those brakes.

Mo

OK, my ACTUAL experience!

Some parts from Britpart are fine. I've used their disks (regular, not drilled etc) and had no problems with them. Polyurethane bushes, I don't think are any worse than most others on the market - but they are not an ideal material for suspension bushings except those that are intended to slide rather than compress to allow movement. So things like the rear trailing arm to axle would be OK, but trailing arm to chassis not.

Of the polyurethane bushes on the market, the only ones I've had good results with have been SuperPro. I don't think the material is necessarily any different, but the manufacturing tolerance is spot on. For something like the rear anti-roll bar to chassis bushes, they outlast genuine rubber by a factor of 2x - which is why we now supply them with the X-Deflex kits instead of genuine rubber elastomer.

As I've said in a few places before - "If it turns, seals or is safety critical, use genuine - anything else, patterned will do" OK, disks fall in to two of those categories - so maybe I was just lucky on those. (I didn't actually buy them myself - they were in the back of a truck I bought which needed new disks on the front. I just fitted them because I had them).

I respect the fact that for some people (with more time than money), patterned parts are a lifeline - but if you have less time than money, I think on the whole, Genuine parts are a good investment.

Si

Why does everyone feel the need to explain Britpart ? I do understand, I'm not a beginner ... :)

That'd be you included then? ;)

I work for an independent garage and in the interest of saving customers money we would often fit britpart bits, thats now stopped. The supplier we use no longer stocks their stuff. We would spend twice as long fitting the parts as they all needed trimming etc to fit which put the bill up. They worked when fitted and then broke on the way home etc, it just wasn't worth it. Brake disks may well meet a british standard for safety, i.e. they won't sheer off when you stamp on the brake pedal etc but it would help if they fit. The last set i tried to fit had the wrong dish to them so would catch the caliper carrier when bolted tight to the hub, they would have been fine with a washer behind but i wasn't happy to do that so they were sent back.

Please don't waste your money

I too have had no issues with the (standard) britpart discs on my 90. They have been on for about 2-3 years now. Am using mintex pads.

I figured a disc is a casting that's been machined- surely they can get that right? No seals, no moving parts...

I know the discs are manufactured to the BS so they should be fine

I'm not a particular anti- Britpart zealot like some here, but I feel I should point out that the BS standard that Britpart claim for these on their web site is for the material they are made from, not for the design or manufacture of the discs themselves.

I've made this point before, but it bears repeating. It amazes me how many people assume that things like braking and other safety critical components for motor vehicles (and lots of other machinery) must be OK 'because they would not be allowed to sell it if it wasn't'.

There are actually very few laws which require components such as this to be made under some sort of approved or qualified process. As far as motor vehicle components are concerned, if it isn't 'e' (or 'E') marked then it's not been independently approved as being fit for purpose or made under an independently assessed QMS.

As it happens, the standard which Britpart quote is for the material from which the discs are made (cast iron) and as has been pointed out elsewhere, so long as the material is good and the dimensions are correct, there's not a lot else to go wrong with a brake disc. But just because the manufacturer quotes a BS number is no guarantee that the standard is particularly relevant, or that compliance with the standard had been independently verified.

Nick.