Broadband ISP

najw

After many happy years with Demon Internet I succumbed to the bright lights of the TalkTalk free broadband offer

:(

What a load of cr*p

I can rarely send email or upload to web pages any more although I can receive no problems at all

So I need to change and fast

Who do you use, are they any good and how much is it

Help

AOL - OK, £17.99 SILVER, used them as they were the only ones who said said i could get BB at my home address and i was with them for dial up.

BT meant to be coming on arent they?

TISCALI - my sister has had nightmares with them recently.

After many happy years with Demon Internet I succumbed to the bright lights of the TalkTalk free broadband offer

:(

What a load of cr*p

I can rarely send email or upload to web pages any more although I can receive no problems at all

So I need to change and fast

Who do you use, are they any good and how much is it

Help

I am with BT and paying to much. But I aam looking to change to Pipex. But take a look at www.adslguide.org

Paul

I use Now wireless broadband. Price depends on connection speed. More info here

Generally speaking I'm happy with them, It was a PITA to set up (4 faulty wireless modems, umpteen calls to the helpline & a visit from an engineer) before I finally fixed it myself.

The signal strength is good normally, but is has thrown a wobbly once or twice and disconnected when the signal has been week momentarily. This means rebooting the wireless modem and reconnecting.

Steve

I've been with Eclipse since I could get BB and I've only had one outage, which was thier servers going down for 24 hours. There were regular updates on their website (I still have a dialup connection for emergencies! ;) )about the fault and every customer who was affected recieved an email from their Tech section when it was fixed saying what had happend, what they did to fix it and sorry for the inconvenience(sp).

One other time we had a problem at our local exchange, not knowing this, I spoke to the Eclipse'sTech people who went through some checks with me, they thought it was a line problem so THEY reported it to BT for me and then they phoned me back 3 days later to make sure the problem was fixed and that I was happy.

Can't better customer service than that in my eyes and the helpline is an 0845 number, not your normal £1 per minute jobby! :D

Their 8Mb BB starts at £9.99 per month and you can go on a monthly contract rather than annual if you want, although it's a little more expensive. ;)

I went with BT because I have a BT line and wanted to avoid the situation where one firm was blaming the other. The router didn't arrive on the due date, it came next day after I chased them up, minus the extra microfilters I ordered.

Speed is pathetic 150 kb/s (kbits/sec), but from a neighbour's experience this may be due to my phone line extension and/or master socket. I'll reconfigure my cabling before trying to get BT to have a look.

ben with virgin.net for past 18 months. Never had any probs. We are very marginal here (6 miles from exchange) so are limited to 1/2 meg whatever. Best part of it is that it is a monthly contract so if something big (technologically) came along or prices dropped drastically you can switch without penalty.

Despite what has been said by one or two above I would say NTL. I've had their cable BB service @ £17.99 pcm for a few years now with only a few glitches. The one time I did have to ring CS my query was sorted PDQ.

Only problem is you have to be in an NTL cabled area to get it and it does take a few days to get installed so if you are after something quick this might not suit....

If you have a BT line your boradband will be provided by BTWholesale (using BT OpenReach's wires) no matter who you buy it from, and though it pains me to say it you may as well buy it from BT (Openworld) because it does cut out a certain level of delay of you have a fault, the small ISP's will go to great lengths to blame BT because it saves them £££ on having to employ anyone who knows what they're doing <_<

Exceptions as far as I'm aware are:

Bulldog use theior own equipment in some areas (using BT OpenReach's wires)

NTL in most areas (although where they don't have capacity they buy it from BTWholesale like everyone else)

As for AOL - it's the internet equivalent of buying a Vauxhall Corsa. :ph34r:

Just to put the cat amongst the pigeons, I have the talk talk free broadband deal, and it has been fine. Very very cheap. I was paying approx £11 per month BT line rental, plus phone calls on top.

I now pay £21 per month including line rental.

So for £10 per month, I have unlimited phone calls at anytime, including many international countries, and broadband.

Sorry to hear others have had problems with theirs.

Regards,

Diff