Broquet Fuel Catalyst

I'm obviously doing this business thing all wrong!

Ere, between you and me, I have a limited supply of these Eastern Sacred Rocks, smuggled from Nigeria in to the UK by Hobbits . As far as you know, they could give you more MPG, lower EGT and if you've got straight trousers, they will give you Flares! Cash only, I'm afraid.

Si

Interestingly, while looking at my "new" TD5 airbox last week, i noticed it had a "hyclone" style insert built into the box as part of the air intake duct. After puzzling over it for a few minutes, then getting the hammer out and smashing it out (i dislike restrictions!), i came to the conclusion that its probably there to try and throw any injested water into a drain trough that sits just behind the velocity stack.

Its now in the bin in about 50 pieces :ph34r:

edit: pic and someone else with the same idea in this thread:

http://www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-tutorials/149084-modifying-td5-airbox.html

So a car manufacturer with hordes of highly qualified engineers, millions of pounds of R&D and computer simulation systems costing more than your house specifically chose to design the air intake like that (which is MORE expensive and complicated than just making it a plain pipe) and you decide you know better & smash it out.

Same goes for any of these snake-oil things, fuel catalysts, etc. etc. etc., if a manufacturer could make even a tiny difference to performance they'd do it in a shot.

So a car manufacturer with hordes of highly qualified engineers, millions of pounds of R&D and computer simulation systems costing more than your house specifically chose to design the air intake like that (which is MORE expensive and complicated than just making it a plain pipe) and you decide you know better & smash it out.

Ofcourse, but just because landrover fitted it doesnt mean its not a performance restriction?

Are you suggesting that when you tuned up your V8 you didnt change a single landrover fitted component, because landrover did simulations on them? I doubt it. You probably junked the ECU and EFI system that landrover developed costing millions, and replaced it with a PCB you built in your shed for £50 for instance, and i'm sure you'll also suggest that ECU does a much better job than the original parts....

It clearly serves a purpose, looking at the design its most likely designed to throw grit/water/etc outwards into a channel that sits around the intake duct, which then directs it towards the duckbill drain outlet thingy. Theres also no doubt that its a restriction, especially when the engines tuned beyond the factory parameters. In the same way i wont be fitting a cat and i've got a streight thru centre box to free up the airflow as much as possible, i'll be doing the same on the intake side.

I see there are a lot of replies already, and of the type I'd normally expect.

First up, I'm have no affiliation at all with Broquet. However I am a complete and utter fussy bugger who likes to do lots of research on potential purchases and things of interest.

In fact I don't even own a Broquet thingy, so can offer no personal experience with them. However all I can say is, I spent many hours researching and trawling the web reading up on them. I've also read up on other so called "snake oil" products, but I will admit Broquet did seem fairly unique.

No matter what vehicle genre or type of website I went to and read about them, there was an overwhelming claim from anyone that had one that they did work, such as improve mpg, running and the use of unleaded fuel in older classics. I have to say I was slightly amazed, as most often when you research such items you find all sorts of user reports, but most claiming they don't work.

I have no idea how or why Broquet would be any different, but as a bare fact it did/does seem there is lots of supportive claims that they do work.

My only logical conclusion is, Broquet has a master marketing department of a large number of people and writing styles with a huge array of experience. Or that there is some truth to their claims.

Having read literally hundreds of web pages about them I have only ever seen less than a handful of negative claims from people actually owning a Broquet.

Food for thought maybe??

Are you suggesting that when you tuned up your V8 you didnt change a single landrover fitted component, because landrover did simulations on them? I doubt it. You probably junked the ECU and EFI system that landrover developed costing millions, and replaced it with a PCB you built in your shed for £50 for instance, and i'm sure you'll also suggest that ECU does a much better job than the original parts....

You'd be surprised just how stock my truck is, the last rebuild was to bring the engine back far closer to standard P38 spec than it was previously.

I put a cam in for a bit more low-down torque, accepting the tradeoffs compared with a stock cam. True, Piper don't have the R&D budget of JLR but they do have at least half a clue how to whittle a cam. My engine management is quite close to the original capability-wise, and the hardware has had plenty of R&D of its own with 50,000+ users worldwide. It's not as smart as the P38 GEMS but it's not as complex either, a tradeoff I'm happy to accept, and it also saves a chunk of money over paying for a suitably setup GEMS ECU. The main difference is the genuine setup has thousands of hours of dyno tuning behind its fuel and ignition maps, but I'm happy to take the small real-world difference in performance for convenience.

If you crawled over my truck you'd find a hell of a lot where most people decide they know better and chop stuff off or do it their own way, and I've stayed standard or as close to as practical. Oh, and I even have the little plastic cyclone thing on the air filter...

I guess thats what moddings all about isnt it?

I've accepted the tradeoff of more noise for a better flowing exhaust, and i've accepted the tradeoff of that cylcone thing not cycloning the air for a better flowing intake.

I'm actually a real fan of retaining stock ECU's on converted engines. Especially motronic stuff, which if you find the right people can be remapped to deal with any modifications, but still retains the full compliment of drivability tweaks that the OEM's have spent all that time and effort honing, as well as pretty good suite of failsafe routines and diagnostic systems. You've accepted the tradeoff with your megasquirt units.

You should go pop out the plastic cyclone thing and see if you notice any difference :P

When I was doing engineering at uni, I saw several computer simulations of fluid systems with and without vortex-inducing components. Many were based on the designs and ideas of Viktor Schauberger, an austrian engineer who had some amazing ideas, and built may provebly super-efficieant systems, for everything from plumbing to log transportation to river re-direction. His ideas all centered aroung spinning the fluid as it passes along it's course, and the use of vorticies to achieve his aims.

Some of his later ideas are pretty "Far out" (although he was about 60 years too soon to be a hippy), but there's no disputing the efficacy of his work. I thouroughly recommend anyone with any interest in this feild to look him up.

The computer simulations, and actual wind tunnel tests (Brunel has a supersonic wind tunnel!) consistently proved that inducing a vortex in a fluid running through a convoluted duct or channel resulted in smoother flow, and less energy required to push the fluid through the system.

I'm not claiming that the Hyclone thingy is any good, just that a properly designed vortex inducer will more than make up for it's inital restriction (which should be minimal anyway, if it's properly designed) by making gains throughout the rest of the system. This isn't opinion, it's actual tested science, and I think that far too often beneficial idea babys are bunged out with the bathwater of badly made systems based on sound principles.

• 3 years later...

From using Broquet fuel catalysts in several vehicles (petrol and diesel), better mpg, more power, smoother engine response and astonished emission testers for MOT not having seen such low emissions!

I thoroughly recommend them!

Welcome to the forum.

It's always interesting to hear the views of new people on threads that have been dormant for years ...especially when they are praising or endorsing this or that product.

• Like 1

Years back when Hyclone first started selling their product they gave one to TOR to test - so it ended up in my RRC. I didn't want it. Didn't trust it. Didn't believe it would work. Couldn't see how it would work. It did. Annoyingly. For 60k miles it worked. Then it wore a hole in the intake house so I dumped it. Thing is it worked, but it was a small better, not a big old better with a heap of really better. Not sure how it worked - not really interested. Don't really give a stuff if the forum experts deny it could work...