X-Like

Anderzander

2) device / to lock the axles to stop a tow/push theft. (modded x brake) where the device cant be applied in motion.

This is quite difficult to achieve. Just locking the hand brake on won't work as you can remove a drive member on the rear axle and just roll her away, if you were to lock both props somehow (perhaps locking centre diff) you could remove a drive member from each axle and still roll her away. It's only 5 bolts to remove a drive member and doesn't need the wheel to be removed if you have steel wheels. The only real way would be to have a lock acting on the actual hub/brake disk.

PS the Rat Trap lock looks to basically just lock the rear output flange of the transfer box effectively doing as you say but is very expensive.

I think before going too far down the complicated security device route it might be worth doing the research on HOW most landies get nicked in the 1st place, if it's "with a HIAB on a low loader" you're wasting your time locking the wheels / pedals.

Hiab / low loader = 1% of thefts. Most specifically stolen to order.

Planned / Targeted = 19%

Opportunistic = 80%

Data from 2012.

Thus 99% of thefts you can do something about - and 80% relatively easily!

You decide if it's worthwhile.

Si

I would agree with your comments Si, my 110 has had two attempted thefts on it. The Hiab brigade would have had it either time.

First attempted theft they were defeated by a bright yellow pedal lock that they hadn't noticed until they had turned the ignition on and second time by a newer version door barrel. The second attempt I'm not sure whether it fell into planned/targeted of just opportunist, they made a number of attempts to get in and also drove past it many times waiting for the road to be quiet .... either way they were still foiled by a very simple problem.

Any measure taken is worthwhile if it slows them down.

What about disk locks like a motorcycle has ?

Both front discs having say a few 10 mm hole through it around the radius - kind of like drilled disks and then a pair of big tough padlocks locked through them.

You'd just need to make bloody sure you remembered to remove them before setting off.

A man with your engineering skills and access to a well equipped workshop like you have at work should be able to knock one up Ed.

It's the time! Got so much on at the moment its ridiculous, plus I'm in the middle of refitting the mill with new CNC

• 2 months later...

something i have been really missing for a long time, especially with the amount of times i have rebuilt series boxes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-Gearbox-Overdrive-Mainshaft-Nut-Tool-600300-/151633873915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item234e154bfb

surely it can be made and sold for less than £85?? at £25 I would have one tomorrow. i would make one if i had access to a decent mill and lathe!

something i have been really missing for a long time, especially with the amount of times i have rebuilt series boxes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rover-Series-Gearbox-Overdrive-Mainshaft-Nut-Tool-600300-/151633873915?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item234e154bfb

surely it can be made and sold for less than £85?? at £25 I would have one tomorrow. i would make one if i had access to a decent mill and lathe!

That's what I'd charge to make one......

• 2 months later...

An update!

For the last 10 months, I've been employed as Chief Engineer at a local company. On Monday, I decided it sucks - and resigned!

I'm going to have another go at a mixture of products, including Land Rover related.

This time however, I'm going to try to be mostly wholesale to avoid the endless packing boxes - and try to choose products which either have sufficient margin to wholesale, or I can sell in enough volume that the margin is less of an issue.

One thing I've been working on is this: (Early 3D Printed prototype)

post-74-0-54396000-1434143004_thumb.jpg

Which is a lock for your OBDII port on Td5 & Later Defenders plus all other vehicles made after 2003 or there abouts. Why? Assuming someone has defeated the mechanical security on a vehicle, you need to overcome the immobiliser. If you plug in to the OBD port, this is easy, just program the ECU to accept your key fob. This is an even bigger problem for any vehicle with key-less start - then you don't even have to break anything, just have the fob in your pocket and a box of tricks to do the programming (costing about £300).

While you could bust the connector and connect directly to the wires, not being able to plug in directly will add a few minutes to the theft - and may deter them altogether.

This falls in to the latter category as they can be sold to any (newish) car owner.

I think initially, I'm going to concentrate on security. There are a lot of good ideas here - I've just re-read the thread. I'll have a look at storage solutions as well as there is some mileage in that.

Just need to come up with a company name which has not been registered and the domain is available. No, Y-Eng is not going to fly! I've registered Armour-Tech as a stop-gap.

Si

• Like 3

The lock looks interesting, any reason for the choice of a combi lock?

I thought it would be easy! If you've got keyless entry - do you want a product with a key?

However, tomorrow I'm going to print a much simpler design which uses a regular (small) padlock. It has an advantage that it's much smaller and will halve the cost to have them cast in steel.

One bonus from my current (previous) job has been making friends with a very good and good value casting company in the UK. With the above in mind, I should be able to have a RRP of about £40.

• Like 1

I like the idea of the padlock as then the users get the choice of how secure the lock is, also subconsciously they think the product is cheaper.

With regards to carrying the key around, I would expect the owner to leave the key at home, if it was a combi lock I'd also expect they would be as likely to remember that as they are to remember their radio code so no doubt would have it written on a slip of paper at home, afterall you don't access your OBDII port every day .... unless you have a really temperamental car..... :)