New Years Resolution! Must sort the workshop out.

Blanco

• 3 weeks later...

Someone send me a link from a garage website; a bit over the top methinks, but an interesting read for the weekend!

http://12-gaugegarage.com/photos/index.html

Daan

With 4 kids, 4 cats, 2 budgies, 3 rats, 3 land rovers , 1 mini, 40 years worth of fishing tackle and assorted stuff and me (only partially domesticated), his bloody garage is tidier than my house.....

Tidy=safe. Oil industry job teaches you that!

Yep, you are right..... and I felt guilty as hell, .... as an ex Safety Officer!..... so I started the thread to buck me out of it. So far I have spent the interim period (not quite full time) chucking stuff out the door, I am about two weeks away from the before and after pic' but its on the way! :D

Someone send me a link from a garage website; a bit over the top methinks, but an interesting read for the weekend!

http://12-gaugegarage.com/photos/index.html

Daan

Wow. Just lost an hour on that and the garage journal website. I think the conclusion to draw is: The British do take the tiddle out of the Yanks on a regular basis, but the one thing they do have is space. And money. Definitely money.

1023616dlrf.jpg

Thanks for the mention, Daan. I won't deny that I got a little carried away -- it got started when my industry went on strike in 1977 for 100 days. By the end of that, the project had some momentum.

With 4 kids, 4 cats, 2 budgies, 3 rats, 3 land rovers , 1 mini, 40 years worth of fishing tackle and assorted stuff and me (only partially domesticated), his bloody garage is tidier than my house.....

It's cleaner than my house, too. But most of the time it's got something going on in it.

headson.jpg

Serious garage envy! :D I would have thought he had a Land Rover with all those hammers.

I don't know if an old Jeep counts, but this thing hauled in just about everything you see in the garage.

TheJeep.jpg

Yanks love those in-ground scissor lifts, I've never worked on anything so unstable. I'd rather risk bricks as axle stands

What I have isn't a typical scissors lift. In fact, it's not an automotive lift at all. It's an industrial lift table, which I've adapted to the task of lifting the car. It's built to a higher standard than most automotive lifts -- it's got a very robust duty cycle for the motor and hydraulics, and is basically exoected to be taking hits from forklift trucks all day. I don't think I'd recommend it for most owners or most cars, but I got it pretty inexpensively second-hand and I've been very happy with it.

LittleLift-H.jpg

That 12G garage has actually really pushed me now!

I read how small his space is and in reality how little money he has invested in it, and it is a great place to work on a project.

Looking around that garage kind of made me realize how much junk I have but also how disorganized my garage is.

Looking through the thread linked has shown how easy it is to build it but it also demonstrates the need for high levels of self disciplin to keep it tidy and also to make places for things, storage is key looking at his place, if nothing has a place then you have nowhere to work.

Gonna have an almighty clear out this weekend I think, anything not used within the last 2yrs gets binned, think we all hoard too much junk for the "one day that will be useful" fund, and it costs us more in the long run in time hunting for other stuff or just not having the clear space to work easily.

Now off to fill the skip up.

Many thanks Jack for taking the time to join our forum and enlighten us more, Your garage is a credit to yourself it makes mine look more like a trash can than a usable workshop. I have no problem with the CJ Jeeps without their grand father we may never have had our Land Rovers. Any petrol head is always welcome to make sensible informative comments. and may you have many happy years ahead enjoying your past time.

The 12 Gauge garage is legendary, as is Mr Olsen. I love the way that a) it's used every day and b) the way that Jack can take something second hand and make it look better than if he had brought it off the shelf! And it's a lot more practical than many of the other garages on garagejournal.com that just seem to be a living room for the cars and beer fridge!

Got to hand it to him.....cracking job.....

Thank you very much!

I just re-read my post and see that I said I started the garage in 1977. I'm not sure how I managed to type that -- it was 2007.

The Garage just got some coverage in a German magazine, Auto Bild. Judging by the pictures, I'd say I'm ready for my second career as a tool catalog model. ;)

xs8x.jpg

i4vp.jpg

Before I got married I had one garage which had tools, shelves, 86" LR, Z1000 Kawasaki and two mountain bikes it.

Now I am married the garage is full of her stuff and I need two other garages for two LR products.

Oh well at least I can get away to the other garages for a break!

Marc.

Jack, .............. we all need motivation at some point and let me say that your efforts are very good motivation, ... I am not yet quite ready to post the 'after' pic to go with the 'before' that started this thread, but the sort out is well under way... I won't be painting the walls either (you may by now have learnt that 'Green and Cream' is a classic post war MOD colour scheme over here?) but your thoughts on tiling the floor are interesting, and I love the bins in the door type cupboards. :)

Jack

Please one small point

How do you manage to keep it so clean especially after using the chop saw. My chop saw sends bits to all arts and parts of the place

Well, that's not an abrasive cut-off saw. It's a toothed blade, they call it a dry-cut saw over here. It makes metal shavings that are a little like sawdust -- not the fine powder that you'd get from an abrasive blade.

The thing about the garage that might be its biggest accomplishment is how quickly it can clean up. I've done a LOT of projects in it (most recently, this back-yard deck, and it's never more than an hour away from being clean.

I'm not sure why I took it, but here's a picture taken of the center bench when I was working ont he deck and also a rear suspension change on my track car.

4jdd.jpg

Again, though. No more than an hour to get it all back to zero.

As for dust, after I put everything away I use a leaf blower to blow it out.

Jack, .............. we all need motivation at some point and let me say that your efforts are very good motivation, ... I am not yet quite ready to post the 'after' pic to go with the 'before' that started this thread, but the sort out is well under way... I won't be painting the walls either (you may by now have learnt that 'Green and Cream' is a classic post war MOD colour scheme over here?) but your thoughts on tiling the floor are interesting, and I love the bins in the door type cupboards. :)

I didn't know that about it being an established color scheme. In my head, I was going for the look and feel of a machine shop my father worked in back in the 1970s.

Good luck with your resolution. The hang-up with this kind of thing is always that it seems odd to work on the garage when there are jobs inside the garage that are waiting for available time. I was lucky to get a long stretch where my track car wasn't breaking or broken. Now, work I do on the car goes much more quickly because the shop itself is better set up for work.