to wave or not to wave perchance

studmuffin

I have owned 3 cars where the owners of the same marque wave at each other. A Healey Sprite Mk 2, a 1958 series 2 Landy and a TD5 defender.

When a Sprite, Midget or Series driver see another one coming in the opposite direction, they manage to perform a double backward somersault with a twist and 7.5 degree of difficulty half pike whilst waving one arm out of the window and grinning like a semi-finalist in the world gurning championships.

Defender drivers pretty much always wave at each other and/or flash their spots/front work lights while Series and Classic RR drivers seem a little surprised that anyone other than a series/RR driver would deign to acknowledge their presence.

Just lately I have found myself giving a thumbs up to Disco 1 drivers coming towards me. Some of my mates drive `em but I have so far resisted flashing my head lights!!!

Now I find myself tempted to wave at Disco 2 face-lift drivers( the car not the drivers!!)

Lets be honest they are now at least 10 years old, driven by people who love `em and the Trendy Wendys and hairdressers are now pootling around in RR Sports and Ewoks.

Call me shallow but I would find it pretty impossible to wave at Disco 3/4 or Vogues. I suspect most of them may not be bothered if I did or I didnt.

So where do you fit??

Just a thought

Barry

Trendy Wendys and hairdressers are now pootling around in RR Sports and Ewoks.

'Ere! I sometimes "pootle" around in a RRS (when I'm pretending to be a Drug Dealer / Loan Shark etc).

I make a point of waving at Defenders and RRS's To date, the only person to wave back was in a RRS. So if you see someone in a RRS wave at you - wave back, it might be me!

Si

you should see the look i got when i waved at a fellow series driver the other week. Really confused me for min or 2 before i realised i was in the lacetti estate and it must of looked odd a 20 year old in an estate car enthusiastically waving at an older geezee in a series 2

you should see the look i got when i waved at a fellow series driver the other week. Really confused me for min or 2 before i realised i was in the lacetti estate and it must of looked odd a 20 year old in an estate car enthusiastically waving at an older geezee in a series 2

I do that in the Pug and get some funny looks... usually takes me a few moments to work out why!

Always at Defenders and Series and obviously enthusist owned Disco 1s

I notice that drivers of newish Defenders do not though. You can feel them NOT looking.

I find that only RR classic drivers will wave, but only if it is an off roader

Round here a lot of the agricultural guys will wave first if you drive an older Landie

I wave at most Defenders and series unless they appear to be farmer's working vehicles. I also wave Discos that have snorkels/extra lights etc.

Never had a wave from a RR ever!!

This sums me up too. To be honest, if I wave and get ignored, it doesn't matter. If I wave and get a response then great! Just being friendly after all.

I have noticed a few Suzuki owners locally who respond to a wave, but don't 'offer' one. Likewise, someone in a Cherokee round here has started responding after about 5 acknowledgements.

You know you have landed when you get flashed from the other side of the motorway by some of the proper Army in convoy in real wolfs/wmiks/DAF's. I did have all the WALT/spotter kit fitted that day on the way back from a show. The only thing that let it down was the civvy plates, pink jumper and massive grin.

Flashing back wise I draw the line after P38's/Disco2's or anything extremely bazzed up which is overly clean. :glare:

Lol, I've done that on the bike to :)

Lol I do that too, but when I forget I'm in my Ford Mondeo wagon work vehicle. I do get some strange looks... When in my Disco though I generally try to wave to most fellow Land Rover owners regardless of model

20 odd years ago I went to Holland in my marine blue Series 3 88".

At the time, the Dutch army were still using soft top Lightweights, one of which we saw while out and about one day. The squaddies riding in the back nearly fell out of the truck with all their excitement and waving.

Far more recently I was queuing for a cross channel ferry in my RRC, and I saw a 101, rare enough to see them out and about these days, never mind on the ferry. (This one was well loaded with large timbers!) I didn't get the same enthusiasm from the guys driving it, although a later conversation opportunity revealed them to be Polish. I doubt they appreciated what they were driving, other than that it was probably faster than a Trabbant. They had driven from Bordeaux and were headed Up Norrrff once back in Blighty.

I wave at pretty much anything that is a little special and has the look that it is cared for by the owner. I figure it's a sign of appreciation of the other person's vehicle.

Landies, trikes, trucks, vans, even the occasional bike, everything and anything.

If I ever get my Riley Kestrel mk1 (1100) back on the road will you wave at that?!