Brake flaring tool

L19MUD

What do people use?

The cheap ones appear to be rubbish for Cunifer pipe which I intend to use. I really want something that will do all common brake pipe sizes (metric and imperial)

Machine mart do one that looks good - Laser 4048 (Can't seem to get a link to paste in here) but it is very spendy.

Is there a half way house on the cost vs. quality front?

This one looks quite good and is a decent make, you need to buy the other size dies separately but it also comes with a cutter.

Added bonus that it can be used in situ

http://www.uktools.com/flaremaster-brake-pipe-flaring-kit-p-11510.html

Hopefully the link will work as I can't paste into a reply - will only let me type a link in

I have a Sykes Pickavant flaremaster 2, I got the kit that came with a pipe cutter, de-burr tool &bending tool. I went for that one over the vice mounted as you can do it on car although I would say the vice mount ones are easier. Works really well once you've got your hand in. You can get different size pipe and shape flare tooling, it came with 3 different types as standard. I've used it on the soft and hard brake pipes and it worked fine. Not cheap but having borrowed cheap and expensive ones I decided to buy expensive.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/221320930011?limghlpsr=true&hlpv=2&ops=true&viphx=1&hlpht=true&lpid=108&chn=ps&device=c&rlsatarget=&adtype=pla&crdt=0&ff3=1&ff11=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

I've got one of the cheaper Laser ones mentioned, and also the one that fatbloke mentioned.

Neither has given me any grief, but I found them both to be a bit fiddly to use on the car.

Recently, after miketomcat had brake failure up a track in Wales, I've been looking for a simpler one for the 'on tour' toolbox.

Anyone tried the ebay ones like this ?

brakeflare.jpg

... and if so are they any good?

I don't have much need for different pipe sizes (if the clutch pipe fails, big deal), so on the face of it, it looks less fiddly, and less bits to go missing in the toolbox over the years.

Quite spendy for a 'just in case' tool, but if it's any good, I might add it to my 'toys wanted' list.

I've got one of the cheaper Laser ones mentioned, and also the one that fatbloke mentioned.

Neither has given me any grief, but I found them both to be a bit fiddly to use on the car.

Recently, after miketomcat had brake failure up a track in Wales, I've been looking for a simpler one for the 'on tour' toolbox.

Anyone tried the ebay ones like this ?

brakeflare.jpg

... and if so are they any good?

I don't have much need for different pipe sizes (if the clutch pipe fails, big deal), so on the face of it, it looks less fiddly, and less bits to go missing in the toolbox over the years.

Quite spendy for a 'just in case' tool, but if it's any good, I might add it to my 'toys wanted' list.

I have heard good things about the powerhand one. There's a demo video somewhere which is pretty convincing too.

But like most tools you cant go far wrong with the old ones, like sykes pickavant, moprod, radcliffe etc. They can be picked up cheaply enough off ebay if your patient enough.

HTH

Again, the one Western posted at the top, I use all the time, even managed a couple on steel pipes when I didn't have enough copper to replace a factory line, you can get very good results with a little practice, people that criticise them probably haven't read the instructions!

I've also used them to make the flares for LPG tanks very successfully.

I don't think I paid anything like that for it though, but it was a few years ago now.

This looks identical to mine, and the link (the contents anyways) and is less than half the price: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Brake-Pipe-Flaring-Cutting-Tool-Kit-Set-Flare-Cutters-10pc-Case-AK506-/380982653906?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item58b455f3d2

Sorry but the cheap laser types with clampy bar and cone are dire. Very variable results.

I have one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Flaring-Tool-Brake-Tube-Pipe-Flare-Kit-3-x-dies-Brake-Fuel-Lines/281739138233?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083358%26meid%3D89e3d7cf8edf462a8cc92c0e27d961b9%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D251993161061

and its flawless and quick. And half the price on ebay as MM.

Downside is its a bit bulky to use in situ, but i have in certain cases.

For occasional use I couldn't justify spending that amount of cash either, I've only used my flaring kit for the rear pipes when I did the rear drum to disc conversion next use was to make a new front pipe during my chassis change.

Sorry but the cheap laser types with clampy bar and cone are dire. Very variable results.

I have one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Flaring-Tool-Brake-Tube-Pipe-Flare-Kit-3-x-dies-Brake-Fuel-Lines/281739138233?_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20140107083358%26meid%3D89e3d7cf8edf462a8cc92c0e27d961b9%26pid%3D100011%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26sd%3D251993161061

and its flawless and quick. And half the price on ebay as MM.

Downside is its a bit bulky to use in situ, but i have in certain cases.

I think I'm going to get one of these - two rebuilds to do soon.

Stupid question, I suppose, but the sizes in that listing are all metric, will it work on the brake pipes in an earlier series? I think the pipe is the same size, only the fittings are imperial.