What batteries are you all using?

I think my my battery is getting a bit tired. It didn't start the 110 the other day, turned over, then just before it fired it wouldn't turn anymore. Quick jump start and it's been fine since though.

The only thing my battery has to do that's beyond the norm is run the eberspacher occasionally for a couple of hours while parked up in the winter.

So, maybe a simple question, but I thought I would see what you guys would recommend?

Numax XV24MF - it's been going strong in a Td5 for 5 years now with occasional winching.

With the heater I'd go for the XV35MF which will still fit in the battery tray but gives more capacity.

Si

The plan is to eventually go dual battery and run all of the accessories off of that (don't know when - like most of my projects, sometime in the next three years.... maybe....), but at the moment its just got to be one.

I have two Odyssey PC1500s under the passenger seat, Starter and Aux, located on a Flatdog stainless tray and held with their non-metallic bar thingy. It just fits. The Aux is used to supply a Waeco coolbox which is quite power hungry through a full 24 hours in hot weather.

There's a Durite isolation relay fitted between the two battery positive connections, which has a voltage sense wire connected to the starter. The Aux is therefore charged once the Starter side is at a healthy voltage (usually a few seconds after the engine starts).

I was scared off the fancy batteries as there is a possibility of overcharging on long journeys with the basic charging system on Land Rovers. So I just went with an Exide heavy duty that had pretty much the same specs as Land Rovers own heavy duty

My engine starter is just the biggest wet battery that would fit in the under seat box that leaves enough space for isolator and aux fuse box etc, but from a half decent manufacturer - Yuasa.

In the back a Hawker 100ah gel cell for the radio stuff.

Mine came fitted with a Halfords Calcium. Now ~7 years old and just beginning to fade. Will need to replace before winter. My setup is bog standard, no winches etc and the only regular accessory used is a cold box (5A).

At the moment I'm dithering whether to go for a well spec'ed battery like the Yuasa Silver, another Halfords, or half way house like the Varta. Whatever I buy it will be a calcium/silver because of the tolerance to stop start use and good charge retention.

If you intend to go dual battery there could be problems with mixing deep cycle (leisure) batteries with batteries more suited to stop start - they have different charge/discharge characteristics (obviously!) which means that charging the leisure battery in situ may take a long time or never reach full charge. Think hard about the type of load that you may want to put on a dual battery set up and associated patterns of use before committing.

Mine came fitted with a Halfords Calcium. Now ~7 years old and just beginning to fade. Will need to replace before winter. My setup is bog standard, no winches etc and the only regular accessory used is a cold box (5A).

At the moment I'm dithering whether to go for a well spec'ed battery like the Yuasa Silver, another Halfords, or half way house like the Varta. Whatever I buy it will be a calcium/silver because of the tolerance to stop start use and good charge retention.

If you intend to go dual battery there could be problems with mixing deep cycle (leisure) batteries with batteries more suited to stop start - they have different charge/discharge characteristics (obviously!) which means that charging the leisure battery in situ may take a long time or never reach full charge. Think hard about the type of load that you may want to put on a dual battery set up and associated patterns of use before committing.

Eventually.... I also plan to have a second alternator if that makes any difference to the comment above?

For now though, this was mainly to gather thoughts on the best single battery for my use.

Numax XV24MF - it's been going strong in a Td5 for 5 years now with occasional winching.

With the heater I'd go for the XV35MF which will still fit in the battery tray but gives more capacity.

Si

Si, Do you mean this one?:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/XV35MF-Powerline-Leisure-Battery-P8979.html

or this one?:

https://www.tayna.co.uk/Numax-CXV35MF-P8275.html

I'd presumed the latter because its a Numax, but then noticed you didn't say CXV so just wanted to check. Halfords cant get to these prices on the Yuasana ones even with my trade card.

Eventually.... I also plan to have a second alternator if that makes any difference to the comment above?

For now though, this was mainly to gather thoughts on the best single battery for my use.

Yes, a second alternator rigged as a separate charging circuit would allow a lot more freedom to mix battery types in a dual battery set up. However, I'd be concerned about using a standard LR charge control with either AGM or gel batteries - they can be easily damaged by over charging.

• Like 1

never had any problems with my AGM batteries and the Land Rover Alternator. They like 14.2 volt constant and that what it throws out.

In fact most AGM like constant voltage and the fancy smart chargers shag them not the simple alternators.

never had any problems with my AGM batteries and the Land Rover Alternator. They like 14.2 volt constant and that what it throws out.

In fact most AGM like constant voltage and the fancy smart chargers shag them not the simple alternators.

At 14.2v you should be OK - as your experience would suggest. However, take that to 14.4v for any length of time and you are on the threshold of damage. That threshold is temperature sensitive. Gel batteries are more sensitive than AGM to overcharging.

Ralph, i'd be sending and Email to them. How long you had them Odysseys?

bought 2 - July 2003, one developed not holding charge symptoms this was replaced by the supplier Feb 2006, the other original purchase has not holding charge symptoms, so both are well out of any warranty. replaced them both with 2 yuasa batts.

Why do you need anything special to run an eberspacher for a couple of hours? After the brief startup kick (glow plug) they don't draw much current - I hear you could even resort to maths to work it out :ph34r: but keep it a secret, most people on the internet prefer to just argue about it.

Why do you need anything special to run an eberspacher for a couple of hours? After the brief startup kick (glow plug) they don't draw much current - I hear you could even resort to maths to work it out :ph34r: but keep it a secret, most people on the internet prefer to just argue about it.

I don't know that I do need anything special but that's why i asked the question .... :rolleyes: .... I have a tired battery, this is my intended use... so is there a particular one folks would recommend?

I've ordered the Numax that Si suggested now so thanks all for the advice.