The new rough country shocks arnt the best. I’ve been told by David at llama that 95% of the Land Rover people run them upside down which is why people don’t rate them. I have an rac kit on my 110 with rc2.0 shocks which is designed to have the shocks upside down and I don’t rate the kit or the shocks. But for the price I’m not sure it can be beaten unless you want to make your own using a decent shock

next time I’ll be getting a fox bypass of some description. My dad is using shorter fox smoothies on his D2 and it rides better on road and off road

i did also run OME shocks for a while and while they were brilliant on the road but very harsh Offroad and aggravated my back problems

the other alternative is terrafirma but I’ve heard nothing but bad things about these shocks. Even their mega sport kit has been known to leak after a short ammount of use

hth

19 minutes ago, dangerous doug said:

I’ve been told by David at llama that 95% of the Land Rover people run them upside down which is why people don’t rate them

Is that shaft up or shaft down?

IIRC people fit them shaft down because they have a fatter body and clash with some part of the suspension otherwise.

8 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Is that shaft up or shaft down?

IIRC people fit them shaft down because they have a fatter body and clash with some part of the suspension otherwise.

They are mounted shaft up but I believe they are soposedto be shaft down. The construction of the kit won’t let me run them any other way so i can’t try it out

With that much weight I hope you are going to run limit straps on your axles? I can't see any brand of shock being terribly happy with that lot (of very good looking axles and wheels 😎) hanging off them at full droop.

Agree that twin shocks are a waste of time - only really were of use on high speed vehicles and nowadays remote reservoir shocks offer more flexible packaging.

• Thanks 1

On 9/20/2021 at 5:24 PM, dangerous doug said:

I did also run OME shocks for a while and while they were brilliant on the road but very harsh Offroad and aggravated my back problems

Was that the Nitrocharger ones ?  I think they are supposed to be stiffer or have more rebound.  I ask because I had the older OME shocks on my 90 with the 3 link front end and they were fantastic off road.

5 hours ago, Anderzander said:

Was that the Nitrocharger ones ?  I think they are supposed to be stiffer or have more rebound.  I ask because I had the older OME shocks on my 90 with the 3 link front end and they were fantastic off road.

The later ones are nitrocharger sport I think? Which are the stiffer valved ones. 

2 hours ago, Stellaghost said:

Anybody ? Regards Stephen

Not what you asked, but i went for Bilstein B18 , Fridge and toyrover lander used them and they where very happy with them.  Can understand if you want use something from the uk

2 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

I seem to remember them originally being a decent brand.... maybe Ohlins if I remember correctly? How they drive I don't know. Derek at LRS is I think the UK importer for Equipe stuff.

Had Ohlins on my bike brilliant shocks regards Stephen

• Like 1

The short version is proper shocks cost proper money - ISTR my Bilsteins were around 100 quid a corner thanks to a friendly import deal, and that's at the cheap end of "shocks made by adults".

Your axles are going to be significantly heavier than my Volvos, maybe look at @dirtydiesel's G-Mog build from many moons ago as he has forgotten more than most about this stuff.

5 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

The short version is proper shocks cost proper money - ISTR my Bilsteins were around 100 quid a corner thanks to a friendly import deal, and that's at the cheap end of "shocks made by adults".

Your axles are going to be significantly heavier than my Volvos, maybe look at @dirtydiesel's G-Mog build from many moons ago as he has forgotten more than most about this stuff.

Dont mind paying reasonable money have been looking at Fox and a few sites are saying out of stock, however I need to weigh up cost over actual use, the equip remote res ones are about £165 a corner but it would be nice to find some sort of a review as to what they are like, if they are made by Ohlins that would seal the deal for me as Ohlins make good shocks but more in the motorcycle field regards Stephen

I guess it depends what you're doing - for low-speed off-road like trialling, Procomps are fairly good value as long as they don't snap and I'll wager you're not too worried about high-speed handling :ph34r:

On the forest tracks at road speeds we could watch James's SJ410 get bouncier and bouncier as the Procomps heated up, while Jez could yomp along log roads at motorway speeds sipping a coffee.