What Tyres

Friend's run Coopers and rate them. I've only ever run BFGs on the Defender and they've been superb. Even the M/Ts have lasted well, think my current set are over 50k since going on. They are getting on though both in age and slashed sidewalls. They are more expensive though for initial purchase although given the mileage normally work out cheaper.

I have BFG mt on all of ours. 45's km2's are 6 years old and the sidewalls are starting to look tired. They have covered around 60k whilst on two different trucks and are about half worn. The 110 had km1's that came off landroversforever's 90. Now it has km2's. The ibex has km1's but that's not on the road yet. BFG km1 and km2 are great off road I'd say the best non simex type. On road the km2's are quieter but both perform well for mud tyres.

Mike

5 hours ago, miketomcat said:

I have BFG mt on all of ours. 45's km2's are 6 years old and the sidewalls are starting to look tired. They have covered around 60k whilst on two different trucks and are about half worn. The 110 had km1's that came off landroversforever's 90. Now it has km2's. The ibex has km1's but that's not on the road yet. BFG km1 and km2 are great off road I'd say the best non simex type. On road the km2's are quieter but both perform well for mud tyres.

Mike

My old KM1s finally died! They had been on at least 3 cars then :) 

45 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

My old KM1s finally died! They had been on at least 3 cars then :) 

Yeah woke up one morning to find one flat. It had a split in the side wall so changed the lot. Don't worry though I sold them to someone who was going to us them off road with tubes.

Mike 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, landroversforever said:

I wonder how old they actually are! I'm sure Will Warne bought them new! 

If you look on the sidewall of the tyre, there is a DOT code moulded into the side of the tyre, in the format of (say) 26 13 meaning they were made in week 26 of 2013

• 1 year later...

Sadly my old Cooper STTs are nearing the end of their tread and i need to replace all 4 of them. I've got about 35k miles out of them in the end so i'm pretty pleased however they were a bit noisy. They were 265/75/16. What's everyone else running and are there any recommendations? I wouldn't mind getting something quieter (smaller?) but i also quite like the look of chunkier tyres. Thoughts please!

2 hours ago, reb78 said:

BFG AT. Mine are 265/75/16 and are spot on. I will never have another tyre. 110k out of the last set!! Reasonably quiet good on road and off and in the snow/wet//mud. I really rate them. 

Same for me too. Mine have been on for about 5 years and look hardly worn in. 

3 hours ago, paime said:

I do like the look of the BFG ATs but they're quite pricey. having said that, 110k miles out of a set is pretty good value. Got any pics of them?

I can take some pics of the old and new at the weekend. I only eventually replaced the last two because of a puncture and I didn't think they had £20 worth of wear left in them!

They might seem expensive but unless they are well over three times the price of your coopers (35k vs 110k) then per mile I bet they work out much cheaper! On the snow this year and last I couldnt fault them. I drove through the Beast from the East at its worst from Taunton to Cornwall last year and they were spot on. 

Best price I found was here for the tyre only https://www.paddockspares.com/265-75r16-bf-goodrich-all-terrain-t-a-ko2-tyre-only-1.html

Edited by reb78

7 hours ago, paime said:

Sadly my old Cooper STTs are nearing the end of their tread and i need to replace all 4 of them. I've got about 35k miles out of them in the end so i'm pretty pleased however they were a bit noisy. They were 265/75/16. What's everyone else running and are there any recommendations? I wouldn't mind getting something quieter (smaller?) but i also quite like the look of chunkier tyres. Thoughts please!

7.50 x 16 BFG KM03

Edited by Chicken Drumstick

6 hours ago, reb78 said:

BFG AT. Mine are 265/75/16 and are spot on. I will never have another tyre. 110k out of the last set!! Reasonably quiet good on road and off and in the snow/wet//mud. I really rate them. 

Do they go like the old BFG’s though? As in hard. Rather than wear out. We have a set of 31.10.50’s. Loads of tread after too many miles to count. But bloody useless in the wet, they are like running ski’s on each corner. 

In their prime they weren’t very good off road either. Not compared to mild MT’s. 

The new pattern does look better though. 

i had 265/75/16 STT (not the pro's)  for wear there rather good but other wise there a bad all rounder as there a 50/50 tyre. too offroad based for good road handling and not aggresive enough for offroad so for now ive gone back to 100% road tyres on the 90. and have fedima sirocco on the D2.

11 hours ago, Landy-Novice said:

i had 265/75/16 STT (not the pro's)  for wear there rather good but other wise there a bad all rounder as there a 50/50 tyre. too offroad based for good road handling and not aggresive enough for offroad so for now ive gone back to 100% road tyres on the 90. and have fedima sirocco on the D2.

I've run STT's, also not the Pro's.In 235/85

I thought they were very good on the road and ok in the snow. But way too much of an All Terrain. Absolutely rubbish off road.

Just to throw a curve ball in but I have run Goodyear Wrangler MTRs for the last few years. They are a superb tyre on road and in the mud with a subdued tread pattern. Regrettably they have a relatively short life but you can't have it all I suppose 😊

I would wholeheartedly recommend them.

Mo