Thoughts and musings on the new defender

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

It's very remote from Hampstead, almost as far as Mongolia, probably.

Mo

You wont see a land rover in Mongolia - when I was out there, it was all massive V8 Land Cruisers....

• Sad 1

Jaguar Land Rover is to cut more than 1,000 UK jobs as the carmaker unveiled a £500m loss in the first three months of the year. The carmaker will lose up to 1,100 agency staff or contractors “in the coming months,” in a bid to cut costs. The world's automakers have been hit hard by the pandemic, with production suspended for two months and sales taking a nosedive as customers went into lockdown. Global auto sales are expected to dip by 22% for the year and may not fully recover until 2025, Axios reports.

4 hours ago, Mo Murphy said:

Did you find yourself curiously aroused Rich ?

It was an odd feeling. We were off road a lot - Monglia only seems to have two roads - the big one from north to south and the big one from east to west... So from the capital we always travelled a while on tarmac and then a lot more just across the plains and steppes. These land cruisers didnt really notice the difference between beng on tarmac and not.....

There are a heap of videos out now, yay.  One of particular interest was someone driving one on a trail in Colorado, U.S.A..  The vehicle had a two inch "height recalibration" (or some similar term) and 33 inch tyres.  Really good to see that works!  It was owned by a dealer in Denver.  It went well but it's the second video I've seen where a warning came up on the dash, unfortunately.  The other is an English one - in that case, there was a pipe on a useless engine component that was probably never fitted properly from new.  In the comments section, it looks like it was actually made on a Friday afternoon.  Just like the British Leyland days!.

There's also another one of a painted up youngish woman lavishing praise on design elements, especially the rear lights.  Judging by the wheels fitted, she bought it for road use only.  Good to see the target market is very happy.

I watch these videos late at night on my iPad, which makes it hard to link them here in the morning, sorry.

My daughter got off the trans-Siberian train in mid winter on the way to a job in China. She had a nine day trip around Mongolia in a Uaz 452 with a few other people. It seemed to go anywhere. I don’t think they used many roads at all. Obviously the ground was fairly frozen 😀 so perhaps not that demanding really. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peaklander said:

My daughter got off the trans-Siberian train in mid winter on the way to a job in China. She had a nine day trip around Mongolia in a Uaz 452 with a few other people. It seemed to go anywhere. I don’t think they used many roads at all. Obviously the ground was fairly frozen 😀 so perhaps not that demanding really. 

Fascinating place. Massive country. Lovely and very welcoming people. They love Vodka and love it more if you enjoy gallons of it with them (one night I thought I was a dead man becaue of the amount we drank whilst toasting various people!)! Huge Soviet influences which still run deep today

• Like 1

This video reminds me of the day I was stopped for lunch at the end of an easy trail.  A group of FJ Cruisers showed up.  A club, I think.  All with big tyres.  We were chatting and they very so excited telling us how they felt the traction control working hard coming in.

16 minutes ago, deep said:

Spotted!  That's the one with a two inch lift and 33 inch tyres.  No graunching sounds...

I thought he sounded like he grounded it a few times early on. The majority of the track didnt look that challenging. Nice to see proper tyres on one though

1 hour ago, Naks said:

Exterior footage of the Chinaman trail via their Instagram feed:

I rather like this vid.

Amazingly it looks just like a D4 or RRS off road 🙃  who'd have thought that....

It does certainly look capable, just a D4 is. But that simply does not remove the fact that this is a Discovery, pure and simple.

Some weird bouncing/bobbing up and down motion though.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Naks said:

Exterior footage of the Chinaman trail via their Instagram feed:

Nice to see. I think a lot of the choppiness will be improved once the driver gets to know the vehicle a bit better. There was a whole lot of braking and making it more difficult for himself because neither the driver nor the spotter knew how the vehicle would react yet.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Naks said:

PowerfulUK went greenlaning:

Not afraid to scratch it or drill a hole in the plastic trim!  Good on them.  The graphics on the mindless square floaty things are inspired.

On 6/18/2020 at 10:48 AM, Chicken Drumstick said:

Unless someone told you, you'd never know by looking at them side by side that they are related. Or even from the same auto maker. Let alone meant to be a direct successor.

As some reviewer (possibly Hammond) said - if they'd actually revised the design more often like other manufacturers do you'd be less offended - what's happened is they've gone from a 40-year-old design to a brand new one. How many facelifts have Toyota or Suzuki or Jeep done in that time?

1 hour ago, FridgeFreezer said:

As some reviewer (possibly Hammond) said - if they'd actually revised the design more often like other manufacturers do you'd be less offended - what's happened is they've gone from a 40-year-old design to a brand new one. How many facelifts have Toyota or Suzuki or Jeep done in that time?

Wrangler still looks like a Wrangler though. As does a G-Wagen, still look like past models. And to be fair to the Defender, while it might not have undergone radical sheet metal changes. Its face and styling did change over the years as a constant evolution.

• Like 2