Reciprocating saws

L19MUD

I am considering adding one of these to my toolbox. My intended use would be to cut off stubborn nuts and bolts where it is either impossible to cut off with an angle grinder or there is a potential to cause damage.

Anti roll bar drop link bolts are something I am specifically thinking off. have resorted to a hacksaw for a few now and its not the most fun way to spend your life.

Has anyone used for this sort of thing? What are they like?

I would buy this one as I already have the batteries and the rest of my Makita tools have been great

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita-djr187z-18v-lxt-cordless-brushless-reciprocating-saw-body-only

I have a corded one from DeWalt, and it has come in handy. Mind you, it's not always the best or easiest solution. As you say, you can reach bolts etc that are difficult with an angle grinder. And you get more control. It is important to chose the correct blades (as always). I used a standard blade on suspension bolts and only got half way. The Bosch heavy metal seem to last better. To get the best results, you need to be working on something solid and be able to rest the saw against it, so you don't lose reciprocating motion.

Once you have one, you'll find plenty of uses for it. The flexibility of battery power will be a big bonus as well.

Filip

A recip saw would not be my 1st choice for this, or for a tool that will then be useful around the workshop. They're a bit brute-force, ideal if you're demolishing something but not if you're trying to make something.

I've owned one for a decade and can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've dug it out for a specific task that couldn't be done with another tool like a grinder. Fein tool is more accurate for low-clearance cutting and more versatile, and even that ends up mostly used for DIY not metal things.

Fridge, do you mean one of these? https://www.angliatoolcentre.co.uk/makita-dtm51zjx7-18v-quick-change-multi-tool-body-only-pid41221.html

Would it be capable of cutting through something like an M10 Nut and bolt on a drop link?

Drop links waste lots of my time as they are so difficult to get off if they just spin

Fein/Multitool was the best tool I bought, used for lots of things but only had to cut nails with it, not bolts.

But the right blade is essential as the standard blades are only bi-metal (for aluminium and copper)

I found that https://www.saxtonblades.co.uk/fein-multimaster-bosch-makita-compatible-blades

was a good place to get blades and other accessories

• Thanks 1

..... interesting,.... I've tried a couple of times to cut panelwork (steel) with one and the blade (bi-metal) didn't last at all. Now I go back to the Saxton site I see there are more options for metal, which I am sure weren't there before? Are the titanium any good or has it got to be carbide?

The best place I’ve found for multi tool blades Is Amazon. Compounded if one has a prime account, then the blades normally come with one day or so. I use Saxton blades. I found they are a good choice between cost and quality.

I’ve got a corded multi tool, simply because I don’t work on sites without power and the cable on the tool is around 3mtrs long so generally plenty long enough. 

Commenting just because other people may have a Screwfix locally, and can use their Click & Collect' service.

I cannot really comment on the most suitable reciprocating saw blades, because although I spent some time reading the User reviews, and buying my best choices for metal and for wood (separate blades) they haven't had enough use to clearly demonstrate how wonderful my choices were!!

So it's just 'Screwfix are there, have a varied selection, and may suit your living arrangements'.

Regards.

55 minutes ago, jason110 said:

The best place I’ve found for multi tool blades Is Amazon. Compounded if one has a prime account, then the blades normally come with one day or so. I use Saxton blades. I found they are a good choice between cost and quality.

I’ve got a corded multi tool, simply because I don’t work on sites without power and the cable on the tool is around 3mtrs long so generally plenty long enough. 

Yeah I bought mine Saxton from Amazon, they are cheaper than direct from Saxton 🤣
Reading the reviews the titanium seem to get better reviews than the carbide for metal but I'm sure that people are probably going to fast with the multitool as Saxton site says " Please be aware that these blades will fail quicker if they overheat. Try using the Multitool on a lower speed and use the whole width of the blade without using excess pressure. Use a suitable cutting oil. This will add to the longevity of the blades. "

This gets me thinking my multitool goes from 6000 to 23000 spm whereas a Reciprocating saw tend to go from 0 to 2700 spm so I would say for metal that a Reciprocating  saw is less likely to overheat the blade on metal but has similar access issue to a hand hacksaw.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...

Another vote for the multi tool. Bought one from Lidl a few years ago branded Parkside, although I am pretty sure it was made by Bosch. Have a Dewalt recip saw bought ten years ago and hardly use it now. If you get it wrong and don't have it held really solidly, you can get hurt. Anyone who has got one will tell you.

Does have its uses, but I wouldn't buy another. Not even for demolition.

I have a corded makita recip saw rarely use it. 

I also have an aeg oscillator but I use fein blades there blades are far better than an others I've tried. I have cut through m10 stainless bolts, aluminium panels, wood and grp. As said there are different blades for different jobs.

Mike

I have a Fein tool and it's been very useful, it's far "calmer" than an grinder or recip saw but covers many of the same jobs (plus detail sanding and making neat holes in plaster/masonry for plug sockets). If you buy one, get one with quick-change blades though.

• 1 month later...

I use my reciprocating saw very rarely, but when I do it is the only tool I have which will do the job.  The last use was to cut the head off the front bolt on a radius arm which was totally rusted solidly into the radius arm and I had failed to move it with an impact driver and with a socket with an extension bar and a long pipe.  I used a metal cutting blade by Diablo, a part of Freud group of companies.

Mike

I wouldn't be without a recip saw but don't use it that often. When I do it's used for anything from cutting down beef and lamb carcasses, cutting holes in walls or through flooring in the house renovations, or trimming trees, but rarely in the garage! It just does loads of things that are useful. I bought a cheapish corded Erbauer for < £50 which has lasted me about six or seven years I think, and has been full of beef fat, sawdust, tree sap and probably a bit of water and WD40 during the cleaning up but works fine.

An air hacksaw might be an alternative.

Recip saws are for a multitude of jobs, but the one listed is abit OTT for garage work. 

A 12v version, similar to mine from Bosch (https://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsa-12-v-li-12v-li-ion-coolpack-brushless-cordless-reciprocating-sabre-saw-bare/140FG?tc=VA7&ds_kid=92700050610921491&ds_rl=1241687&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1244066&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249484&ds_rl=1249796&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgaGW1v_25gIVybTtCh1WmgwbEAQYASABEgJaKvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds )

is more then enough for stubborn bolts with a decent blade. You are replacing the hacksaw here, not felling trees ;)

Don't use a Fein or any multitool for cutting bolts...you'll spend a fortune on blades as they blunt too quickly with the heat and wear, heavy use is not what they're designed for.

Multitools have a use for cutting close to the ground, wall, sanding corners or generally being half good at some things.

• 4 weeks later...

I,ve had a recip since they very first became available in the uk, the only blades to use are made by Lennox tools and are called a rescue blade, you won't find them in the shops,they're special order, but you can literally bend them double and they spring back. when I got my first one, blades were rarer than hens teeth, I think the first people to use them was the fire service as a replacement for the air powered Cengar saw. A mate of mine owned a large breakers yard and the local fire brigade used to go down and practice their extrication training on his old cars, I got talking to them and managed to cadge a few blades, they were great. anyway, I was at a large tool show about 5 years ago and mentioned these to a guy on the Lennox tools stand, he knew exactly what they were and ordered me some from the states, they lasted ages and because he got them sent to their uk base and then posted them out to me I didn't get hit with any nasty import duties. I have bought several bits of emergency services kit over the last few years, another good one is the rescue diamond blade, most diamond discs are designed for masonary, the rescue blade goes through all kinds of stuff, concrete, brick, stone, steel, wood, plastic, granted it,s not quite as fast through steel as an Inox disc, but its a handy thing to have in the van, especially for those emergency jobs.

• 2 months later...