New workshop project

Indeed, which is why the spacing of mine across the building width is not equal. Because the car sits over to one side of the building the lights on the non-workbench side are closer to the wall, that way they actually light up the area down the side of the car and don’t cause a shadow.

I’ve not been short of light yet, but we’ll see how I get on once I start taking a car apart in there. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

Indeed, which is why the spacing of mine across the building width is not equal. Because the car sits over to one side of the building the lights on the non-workbench side are closer to the wall, that way they actually light up the area down the side of the car and don’t cause a shadow.

I’ve not been short of light yet, but we’ll see how I get on once I start taking a car apart in there. 

Simple and obvious and yet I never thought of that lol I'll remember when I'm doing lighting 

• Like 1

On 11/4/2020 at 10:27 PM, Retroanaconda said:

These ones:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-single-5ft-led-batten-white-30w-2700lm/1079v

They're excellent, nice and bright with no flickering. And easy to wire up as they daisy-chain together. 

James I hope you'll report back on the life span and performance of these units.

When we had our house extension built c. 18 months ago the sparky fitted lots of Meridien GU10 LEDs from Toolstation. They give a good light in our preferred warm white, but over the last 3 months ago they have been failing left, right and centre. I am very unimpressed seeing as they too had some massive life span quoted on the box. I've been replacing with Sylvania equivalents, and will see if they can manage any better.

The Lumilife LEDs in the lounge are a few years old and not had a failure yet.

If you can get ones with Samsung LEDs in them they tend to be better quality. My father and I have been using a fair few V-TAC flood lights and they've held up well to West Walesian weather (outdoors). Dad's had one light up on the tallest barn for about 4 years now and it's still going strong. I've had them up for two years and no issues yet.

We've had the same lights but non Samsung LEDs and they've failed within 18 months.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ed Poore said:

If you can get ones with Samsung LEDs in them they tend to be better quality. My father and I have been using a fair few V-TAC flood lights and they've held up well to West Walesian weather (outdoors). Dad's had one light up on the tallest barn for about 4 years now and it's still going strong. I've had them up for two years and no issues yet.

We've had the same lights but non Samsung LEDs and they've failed within 18 months.

I bought some of those Vtac lights you recommend ED but found them impossible to work under due to the colour, I'm supposed to have some 18000lumen daylight hi bay lights with Samsung LEDs in coming to try today so we'll see what they are like.

They do come in lots of different temperatures although almost all of mine are for high ceiling floodlights so don't notice it too badly. They are the brighter white, I haven't tried the warm white side of things.

As all of my work areas are stone walls at the moment the extra white helps a bit but maybe once the workshop is rendered and painted I might try some warmer ones.

9 hours ago, mickeyw said:

James I hope you'll report back on the life span and performance of these units.  

Yep I’ll advise if I have any bother with them. So far so good but they’ve not had much use. Will get a bit more once I start taking the 90 apart later this winter.

• 4 weeks later...

There remain a number of fiddly jobs to do, one of which is the trims for the ends of the eaves where they meet the gable ends of the building. I’ve been putting this off for ages as I am struggling to find any 45x45 sawn larch to make my corner cladding stops, so for now I’ve put temporary pieces of spruce in to allow me to cut and fit the other bits.

It’s turned rather cold of late and so it’s given me a chance to see how the insulation is performing. The interior of the building was at around 8 degrees when I went in mid-morning. I put the little 2kw fan heater on for an hour or so while I cut and measured the bits and by the time I came to get the paint out it had reached just under 12 degrees. Going in and out while measuring up etc. it was soon apparent just how much warmer it was inside than out. Just got to keep the door shut now and not let the heat out :lol:

Not managed to make any real progress with the drainage, other than fitting the downpipes to stop water flying everywhere. I’m struggling to get properly rated linear drainage locally but hopefully will be able to pull something together before Christmas. We’re now into the time of year where concreting is more of a faff but I should be able to get the drain set in even if I can’t cast the slab leading up to it. 

• Like 3

Bugger that - I've just been out to my (in progress) workshop and is about 4°C and I was in a t shirt and that was fine. Mind you I was pushing the Defender around on the floor and lifting 4.8m 12x2" beams onto the first floor...

The paint needed 10 degrees to go on, which was the reason for warming it up today.

I’m fairly happy working down to low temps as long as I’m doing something, like pushing a 110 around, but there’s no doubt that it’s more comfortable when standing around doing less active tasks if you can get it into double figures. Just being inside helps massively as there’s no draft or wind chill.

However the primary drive for all the insulation was to try and prevent condensation. So far so good on that front, but we will see how it copes when we get to the real winter. Some level of background heating may be required.

It does depend on what you're doing. Little fiddly jobs need nimble (warm) fingers. Bendy things like to be warm to prevent snapping. Big lumps of metal certainly need to be warm. I tried to handle some gearbox internals one winter and the mass of cold metal just pulls the heat from your hands.

I fancy a wood-burner à la @Cornish Rattler. I did just make a nice brazier out of a 7Kg washing machine tub and some lovely stainless tube but it isn't the thing for inside the workshop. 🔥👨‍🚒

Not used mine yet this year as all the local log supplying shops inc the one i mainly use have all stopped selling logs now due to new laws as regards the quality of kiln dried logs ( netted bags ) i do have a local log supplier but i don't have the room or anywhere to keep them dry other than keeping a few in the garage for buying in bulk, i have heard that this new law mite not come off so just waiting to see what happens and the only stuff i can buy is eco logs but i don't fancy them ☹