Britpart by Allmakes

Hybrid_From_Hell

I think folks were talking about this before Christmas. To be honest, Allmakes quality has seemed to be going downhill for sometime. I only buy bearmach if I cant afford genuine or cant identify a good oem brand some other way. 

Yeah , I heard about this a while ago . The interesting thing is that Allmakes have a network of trade outlets and already deliver to the general motor trade . This would suggest

that Britpart could well be moving into the motor trade as well as having direct outlets for their  Land Rover range .

I don't use Allmakes own brand for anything if at all possible , they are no better than Britpart own brand.

cheers

Steve b

• Like 1

22 hours ago, reb78 said:

I only buy bearmach if I cant afford genuine or cant identify a good oem brand some other way. 

I'm not sure what makes you think Bearmach is any better.  We've had from carp parts from them and their customer service is the worst in the business.  There is no trustworthy vendor for aftermarket parts.

37 minutes ago, Red90 said:

I'm not sure what makes you think Bearmach is any better.  We've had from carp parts from them and their customer service is the worst in the business.  There is no trustworthy vendor for aftermarket parts.

Personal experience of trying britpart, allmakes and bearmach. Yours is clearly different. I haven't had to send anything back to bearmach. Same cant be said for the others. I would deal with the seller rather than bearmach though so wouldnt experience their customer service anyway.  

• Like 2

Just now, reb78 said:

Personal experience of trying britpart, allmakes and bearmach. Yours is clearly different. I haven't had to send anything back to bearmach. Same cant be said for the others. I would deal with the seller rather than bearmach though so wouldnt experience their customer service anyway.  

Being in Canada, 100% of parts are imported. We bring in parts for quite a few people all of the time.  We have used and used all the wholesalers.  I've seen nothing to show any difference in parts quality between suppliers.  However customer service is by far the worst with Bearmach.  When a wrong part is shipped or it is damaged in shipment, getting them to remedy the situation is extremely painful.  In addition, they package the parts very poorly.  This is not the case with the other suppliers. They package well and remedy problems quickly without issue.

1 hour ago, Red90 said:

Being in Canada, 100% of parts are imported. We bring in parts for quite a few people all of the time.  We have used and used all the wholesalers.  I've seen nothing to show any difference in parts quality between suppliers.  However customer service is by far the worst with Bearmach.  When a wrong part is shipped or it is damaged in shipment, getting them to remedy the situation is extremely painful.  In addition, they package the parts very poorly.  This is not the case with the other suppliers. They package well and remedy problems quickly without issue.

100% opposite experience to me. I buy direct from Bearmach as there's always a sale on (14% right now) so you end up spending less than through any third party seller. Never had a faulty item, never had any problems my orders, they have even sorted MY errors extremely quickly and offered additional discount codes even though it was my mistake.

I've never had a good item from the other company now I think about it. There's always something; paint finish, rust, fitting issues, missing parts, wrong item for the part number. All inexcusable but people make do because it's cheap. It's nonsense because they will continue to take over other brands until there's nothing left to force them to pick up their game (as low a bar as that is). 

What's the point in paying three quarters less when you end up buying 3 times as many for the lifetime of one Bearmach part, all the while propping up a company with ethics that match their products' quality.

Boils my piddle.

Edited by ThreePointFive
  • Like 1

I've been using the Bearmach direct website of late with complete success, excellent customer service and communications, free next day delivery if it's not a stock item and a discount when I had to wait the day the website said I'd have to wait ! 

I only buy branded parts and have yet to be disappointed with what I've bought through them.

I've no particular axe to grind with Britpart except that many of the parts they sell are not fit for purpose but I'd just thought I'd sing out the excellent service I've had from Bearmach. 

Mo

Another one who doesn't have an issue with Bearmach, in fact I've found their customer service to be outstanding. Years ago I had an order which didn't arrive next day despite paying for it (courier's fault not theirs). Bearmach sorted it out at their expense and also gave me a permanent 10% discount code by way of an apology. Can't use it in conjunction with other offers but then I'm not upset by that - it wasn't their fault.

Now folks mention it, I have dealt with Bearmach direct. I bought a Hawkeye Total from them directly. Their customer service was very good - they reserved me a Hawkeye for when stock came in as they were out of stock when i initially enquired. They also gave me 10% off because they didnt have stock. Pretty good really. (Plus the Hawkeye is 100 times better and more reliable than the amateur nanocom I have for the D2 - the only thing Hawkeye cant do that woudl be useful is write maps to the ecu...)

On 2/15/2020 at 6:29 PM, steve b said:

Allmakes have a network of trade outlets and already deliver to the general motor trade . This would suggest that Britpart could well be moving into the motor trade as well as having direct outlets for their  Land Rover range 

I have a Bearmach trade account which is great,  they don't supply certain items I get through regularly so approached Britpart for a similar trade account a few weeks ago -  they had no interest whatsoever.  I'd imagine they are just shutting down a competitor and maybe picking up some useful product lines.

I’ve had no trouble with BM parts, and so no dealings with their customer services.  Britpart has mostly been dire, some even dangerous in my opinion, and their customer services don’t give a toss.  I’ve not had much experience of Allmakes, just a few bits 15-20 years ago, and I found them on par with Britpart.  

On 2/15/2020 at 6:29 PM, steve b said:

I don't use Allmakes own brand for anything if at all possible , they are no better than Britpart own brand.

So I have just discovered!

I recently bought an Allmakes petrol pump for the 110, (because a. there don't seem to be any genuine items about, and b. I thought Allmakes was a reputable brand :o ) only to discover that it had been built with the +ve and -ve wires back to front internally. The pump ran when I plugged it in, but no fuel came out. Reversed the wires and hey presto it worked. Not the hardest problem to resolve when you have a tool for removing crimps from their housings, but annoying and very indicative of non-existent quality control.

What is the world of aftermarket LR parts coming to? Are there any non-genuine brands we can trust at all?

5 hours ago, mickeyw said:

What is the world of aftermarket LR parts coming to? Are there any non-genuine brands we can trust at all?

In a word, NO.  Even Gen Parts are now made by cheap Chinese and Indian businesses with poor QC, thanks to the greed and corruption of Tata.

3 hours ago, Snagger said:

In a word, NO.  Even Gen Parts are now made by cheap Chinese and Indian businesses with poor QC, thanks to the greed and corruption of Tata.

True. I'm accumulating second hand parts for refurbishment.

• Like 1

I seem to remember a post some time ago that stated that Britpart is a major wholesale/wharehousing operation, and is a major supplier of parts to HM armed forces, possibly holding impressed stock, and that supplying parts for Land Rovers was a very minor part of their business.  Also, that BP is a wholesaler/retailer, but not a manufacturer.  Is this true, or does BP only need to improve its purchasing QA procedures and change its business model so that it is not scraping the bottom of the barrel on price , and hence quality?

Mike

1 hour ago, Troll Hunter said:

I seem to remember a post some time ago that stated that Britpart is a major wholesale/wharehousing operation, and is a major supplier of parts to HM armed forces, possibly holding impressed stock, and that supplying parts for Land Rovers was a very minor part of their business.  Also, that BP is a wholesaler/retailer, but not a manufacturer.  Is this true, or does BP only need to improve its purchasing QA procedures and change its business model so that it is not scraping the bottom of the barrel on price , and hence quality?

Mike

According to their own website they appear to be an approved distributor for genuine parts so that would imply you can get genuine through them. I would hope that if this were not true then that bit of the website would be removed.

[snip]Land Rover appointed Britpart as an ‘Approved European Parts Distributor’ for all Land Rover Genuine Parts[/snip]

Incidentally it looks like Jaguar has appointed Bearmach as an official distributor as well for parts: https://www.insidermedia.com/news/wales/36961-

On 2/20/2020 at 11:50 AM, Troll Hunter said:

Mike

Britpart had their MoD contract cancelled due to poor quality, but continued to make that claim in their ads, so were then guilty of false advertising.  I think that was in the late 90s.

I've just visited the BP site and there is no mention of any activity or interest other than supplying LR associated products.  Surprisingly, there is no "About us" and no "Contact" links/pages.  It seems that they want to keep as low a profile as possible except for supplying poor quality goods.

Mike

Thanks, Ed, for some reason that top line of links didn't appear when I loaded their page, and I've just reloaded their page, and it still doesn't have that top line.  Everything else on the page appears, at least initially, to be the same.  I haven't checked it item by item.  However, by clicking on the three horizontal lines at top right a drop down menu of options appears which shows the items in the top line of your screenshot.  Why the differences beats me!

image.thumb.png.354183e81893cd750d49868c25d45a06.png

Mike

55 minutes ago, Troll Hunter said:

Thanks, Ed, for some reason that top line of links didn't appear when I loaded their page, and I've just reloaded their page, and it still doesn't have that top line.  Everything else on the page appears, at least initially, to be the same.  I haven't checked it item by item.  However, by clicking on the three horizontal lines at top right a drop down menu of options appears which shows the items in the top line of your screenshot.  Why the differences beats me!

image.thumb.png.354183e81893cd750d49868c25d45a06.png

Mike

That's a defacto standard mobile menu (doesn't necessarily mean you're on a mobile device, just that the width of your screen is below the threshold the designers decided was wide enough to show the expanded menu).

It's not really a problem per se, it is just that your laptop has a smaller screen so the number of menu items don't fit across it, so it jumps to a mobile style menu (often known as a hamburger menu, I am sure you can see why).

It could also be that you have enabled browser zoom, which can make this happen depending on how the site was built.

The 'problem' here is more likely they have made poor choices in top level menu items meaning there is just too much for the given space on a given device that *should* have enough room.