Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

34 minutes ago, Gazzar said:

I don't understand?

No yellow paint, high profile tyres? Knobbly tyres?

Long travel springs?

Is that a live axle? Lap times will be dreadful!

Seriously though, looks interesting.

That track bar, is it a bit low?

I think that’s the back axle, with a rear mounted winch high up.  I can’t see any signs of swivels on that axle, or engine sump near it, but there appears to be a black diagonal drag link at the far end of the vehicle.  The lower bar does appear to be vulnerable, and I have no idea what all those bars are for on a live beam rear axle unless it also har rear wheel steering for low speed manoeuvring, which would be superb.  Perhaps they, and many of the orange bits, are test related, for measuring dynamic loads and movements of the prototypes.

2 hours ago, Snagger said:

I think that’s the back axle, with a rear mounted winch high up.  I can’t see any signs of swivels on that axle, or engine sump near it, but there appears to be a black diagonal drag link at the far end of the vehicle.  The lower bar does appear to be vulnerable, and I have no idea what all those bars are for on a live beam rear axle unless it also har rear wheel steering for low speed manoeuvring, which would be superb.  Perhaps they, and many of the orange bits, are test related, for measuring dynamic loads and movements of the prototypes.

Swivels, panhard rod & draglink are all there, that's the front

In one of the articles, I noticed they were developing easy to use diagnostics software that will be run from inside the truck, on a touch panel I guess.

The right to repair chaps in the states will be happy, if they get sold there - gotta be the first time in the last decade that any manufacturer wasn't trying to screw its customers with service charges for something that just turns a light out....

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 11:04 PM, Bowie69 said:

In one of the articles, I noticed they were developing easy to use diagnostics software that will be run from inside the truck, on a touch panel I guess.

The right to repair chaps in the states will be happy, if they get sold there - gotta be the first time in the last decade that any manufacturer wasn't trying to screw its customers with service charges for something that just turns a light out....

lots of tractors and trucks like this and about time the car market did the same

4 hours ago, Defender said:

I am slightly disappointed that they are auto only but I guess that means there will be a new industry born for someone to retrofit a manual gearbox :)

Can't wait to see one 😀

No.  It is 8 speed manual.  They say industry leading 8 speed gearbox and then show someone shifting.  The videos of them driving also show all manual gear changes.

Edited by Red90

I would be surprised at an 8 speed manual. Car drivers won't want an 8 speed over under or slapper box like trucks have, unless they have a 6 speed with a slap left to get the 2 lows like the old unimogs rather than a full low box. 

An 8 speed auto I can see quote possible, there's a ZF box which goes into lots of makes with different blocks, the ration etc can be adapted to suit too. Seems an economic way forwards. 

19 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Apparently you are right.  I confirmed with them.  Sad.  It means the whole thing will be complicated and expensive, the opposite of what they should be trying to create.  That is what happens when you involve German engineers.  Somehow it is ingrained into their whole society.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cynic-al said:

I would be surprised at an 8 speed manual. Car drivers won't want an 8 speed over under or slapper box like trucks have, unless they have a 6 speed with a slap left to get the 2 lows like the old unimogs rather than a full low box. 

An 8 speed auto I can see quote possible, there's a ZF box which goes into lots of makes with different blocks, the ration etc can be adapted to suit too. Seems an economic way forwards. 

That is what I had hoped.  6 gear for on road and the other two off road only.

3 minutes ago, Red90 said:

Apparently you are right.  I confirmed with them.  Sad.  It means the whole thing will be complicated and expensive, the opposite of what they should be trying to create.  That is what happens when you involve German engineers.  Somehow it is ingrained into their whole society.

Unfortunately the gearbox is part of the strategy to get good emissions out of the modern engines with a narrow torque band.

I think making things complicated is the only way the motor industry has survived - it adds perceived value to the end product.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Unfortunately the gearbox is part of the strategy to get good emissions out of the modern engines with a narrow torque band.

I think making things complicated is the only way the motor industry has survived - it adds perceived value to the end product.

Oh BS.  There are lots of cars made with autos and manuals and there is no difference in emissions.  Complicated is the wrong choice for THIS vehicle.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

No, it is true.

No.  It is not.  Like I said, there are MANY vehicles with both manual and automatic options.  Fuel consumption and emissions are the same as long as final gearing is the same.  Don't drink the Kool-Aid.

I work daily with German engineers.  They run a good line.  Don't fall for it.