Thoughts and Musings on the Ineos Grenadier

Bowie69

4 hours ago, Bowie69 said:

Ineos @ Dakar for anyone? 

Looks like some sort of competitive action soon , maybe Breslau TT (or whatever group applies).

I wonder if the portal set up is the same as the 6x6 G wagen  proto's?

Stevw

The posh mall crawler version was also released at Goodwood; a limited edition of leather seats, different paint colours and some other variations at extra cost, (£134,100, so double mine and a bit!) A winch and lockers are extra, but available.

Brochure on the link - Detour brochure 

I have no problem with Ineos Automotive trying to widen the user base, I want it to be a long term success, but there is nothing presented that I want, (thankfully, my wallet was considering going into hiding again). 

• Like 1

Ironically, on this day when there was an email about the "Arcane" versions and another email with another article about the Goodwood versions (link below), I actually saw my first Grenadier today!  When you think that a year and a half ago I had considered getting one (but circumstances have changed enormously, though not badly, since then, so it's unlikely to happen in the near future), it seems remarkable that it took so long for one to filter down to my neck of the woods.  I nearly drove past it too, as it looked so ridiculously familiar.  A nice green colour, let down a bit by having black wheels, with splashes of mud on it, it looked like something I had known for years.  It's mid Winter now and every car has significant splashes of mud, except for the shiny green new Defender I saw a few minutes later at the supermarket.

I have to take my hat off to Sir Radcliffe.  He has completely nailed what he wanted to build.  It's exactly what it should be and no more.  The Defender, by comparison, still looked alien and strange, even after having seen many in the last few years.  Despite my age now dictating that buying toys is wasteful and ultimately dissatisfying, I'm very sure a slight shift in circumstances would see me buy a Grenadier.  A bigger shift would add some of those nice interiors or other tweaks announced today (with portals, I could even drive the tracks currently only accessible on my largish tractor!).  Gosh, I hope they are successful and establish themselves well enough to last the distance.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/ineos-grenadier-prototypes-2024-goodwood-festival-of-speed

• Like 2

12 hours ago, steve b said:

I wonder if the portal set up is the same as the 6x6 G wagen  proto's?

They sell portalled 4x4 GWagens too - I'd be fairly willing to bet they're the same what with them both being built by Steyr/Magna AFAIK.

Anyway has no-one told you lot that portals don't work and will never catch on??? :SVAgoaway:

• Like 2

On 7/11/2024 at 10:59 PM, jeremy996 said:

The posh mall crawler version was also released at Goodwood; a limited edition of leather seats, different paint colours and some other variations at extra cost, (£134,100, so double mine and a bit!) A winch and lockers are extra, but available.

Brochure on the link - Detour brochure 

I have no problem with Ineos Automotive trying to widen the user base, I want it to be a long term success, but there is nothing presented that I want, (thankfully, my wallet was considering going into hiding again). 

@Chicken Drumstick interested in your thoughts on this one.

1 hour ago, ThreePointFive said:

@Chicken Drumstick interested in your thoughts on this one.

I guess it aligns with the Autobiography scheme that LR introduced in the 1990s. And probably targeting the potential G-Wagon buyer who might consider the Grenadier (although I couldn’t put a number on how many such customers exist, although my perception is it would be more of a U.K. or EU thing. The G-Wagon seems more of a status vehicle in other markets and the Ineos is likely to unknown unless you are a car fanatic. Also my perception of the USA and Oz markets is people wanting the Grenadier as an off road vehicle and an alternative to a good spec Wrangler, Toyota, Bronco or maybe a new Defender rather than genuine G-Wagon customers). 

Therefore I’d expect to see very few of these or maybe just some of the available options rather than fully decked. It is probably an easy way to make some good Gross margin easily and at little risk for Ineos. Just look at what Twisted do. Eg add about £5k’s worth of mods and labour and charge £25,000+ for the privilege.

• Like 1

Once vehicles get a little expensive/exclusive or just plain different, the market gets less logical than it might seem.  There could be a decent number of people who like the style or promise of the Grenadier (which is actually right in line with the first Range Rover) but who also don't want to give up too much of the luxury/comfort of the Land Rover products they have used for years.  This could fix the problem well enough and I wonder how it will play out in time?  I just hope it doesn't turn out to be too much of a cash cow, forcing Ineos to develop vehicles along these lines rather than along the functional track that brought the Grenadier into life in the first place!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Saw the pickup version yesterday. Didn't know it was released yet. 

Aside from having the front end of a Grenadier, it looked pretty good, definitely more Toyota than 130. I can see it being a useful size bed. 

It was, of course, too shiny but I hope that's temporary, though most of the Grenadiers I see are.

41 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Wonder what Ineos are going to do with seats gojng forwards with Recaro going under :( 

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/business-corporate/sports-seat-manufacturer-recaro-files-bankruptcy

This is the curse of the private equity fund. They bought the business and a licence to use the name, but the original owners still exist. The debt to purchase cost and the cut-throat nature of the automobile business has sunk them. The strength of the name and business book should see a refinance and restart of business, (the liquidator is still trading the company).

BBS, the wheel people, are also in trouble for much the same problem.

• Like 3

I don’t know what the sales figures are, but I’m seeing quite a lot of these around me.

Some really nice colours too, there is one that’s sort of a burgundy colour that I particularly like. 

42 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

I don’t know what the sales figures are, but I’m seeing quite a lot of these around me.

Some really nice colours too, there is one that’s sort of a burgundy colour that I particularly like. 

This one? it’s a beautiful colour in the sunshine. 

image.thumb.jpeg.015838b0e28d197d1b4c1179a4ab7db4.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes - that’s the colour.

Just had a bit of a Google which seems to show very low sales in the UK. None of them seem to point to very solid sources for the figures though?  

Certainly if the figures are right they must be selling them all around me. Whatever it is I hope they are doing ok.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anderzander said:

I see quite a few too (I'm in more or less the same area as @Anderzander). Mostly shiny, but I've seen the odd one mud covered and clearly earning it's keep.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...