Bowler unveils road-legal 575hp V8 Defender

elbekko

19 minutes ago, Arjan said:

Nice.....

Obviously it will not be cheap..

But very nice...

Really?  At that price point, I would expect a real race car.  This is neither a proper race car, nor a road car.  It is supercar money.  I can't see the market, but who knows what super rich people decide is a good way to waste money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red90 said:

Really?  At that price point, I would expect a real race car.  This is neither a proper race car, nor a road car.  It is supercar money.  I can't see the market, but who knows what super rich people decide is a good way to waste money.

I can assure you given the amount of money people seem to be throwing at defenders recently, they will sell.

I really like it, subtle changes from standard but not outrageous.

Mike

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I can assure you given the amount of money people seem to be throwing at defenders recently, they will sell.

I really like it, subtle changes from standard but not outrageous.

Mike

This is double the price of even the crazy Defenders.  Apples and oranges.

The other V8 rebuilt ones were about 100K.

I don't think it that expensive, I mean once you ask someone to build you a race car, with 600bhp, virtually capable of doing the dakar out the box, 200K would be an easy number to hit.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

The other V8 rebuilt ones were about 100K.

I don't think it that expensive, I mean once you ask someone to build you a race car, with 600bhp, virtually capable of doing the dakar out the box, 200K would be an easy number to hit.

The 70th ones were base of £150K for the 90 and £160K for the 110 I believe.

10 hours ago, reb78 said:

Werent land rover churning out rebuilt old defenders for this kind of money? Bowler wont be far of the price mark set by LR with this surely. 

Yep, the LR ones were overpriced but sold well anyway, and this is a much more thoroughly developed vehicle.  It’ll sell, but I agree with Red that it’s crazy money for a vehicle that has had its primary focus of being an off road utility vehicle hobbled.  This may have impressive numbers and very high performance for a Defender, but only for a Defender - proper race vehicles will be way faster, and a lot of them cheaper too.  I don’t see the point either.  Still, it’s their money...

2 hours ago, L19MUD said:

I agree with all of the above, but I still want one! Anyone got the Euromillions numbers for Friday?

Haha. 

Just for the record I thought the LR ones were stupid money too but like Snagger says, they sold so why wouldn't Bowler think 'why not try a little more?!'

3 hours ago, reb78 said:

Haha. 

Just for the record I thought the LR ones were stupid money too but like Snagger says, they sold so why wouldn't Bowler think 'why not try a little more?!'

I actually think the 70th ones were good value. Especially when you take into account the cost of buying back the late-model vehicles they then stripped and rebuilt. Add into that the cost of the engine and gearbox, the interior work and you're soon eating into a very very tiny margin. Just think about the hours that would go into each car.

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

Just to put this into perspective if I had used all new parts, paid a paint shop and charged my hours at a modest hourly rate I would of easily topped £80k on my ibex build. Now add a top spec engine, suspension and some bespoke wheels and that's another £80k. Plus a bespoke leather interior and there's another £40k......

Oh and it's a practical 5 seater that you could drive every day, yeah it will sell.

Mike

What you said, but with the added knowledge that this is 100% sorted legally. That's a big thing for a lot of people.

Pretty clear this isn't just a rebuilt Defender, but an entirely bespoke Defender-shaped item that's going to be a whole step up. I don't understand getting angry over the way other people choose to spend their money. I promise you they don't care nearly as much about your life choices.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Snagger said:

it’s crazy money for a vehicle that has had its primary focus of being an off road utility vehicle hobbled.  This may have impressive numbers and very high performance for a Defender, but only for a Defender - proper race vehicles will be way faster,

i think you would be surprised, it looks very much like a slightly grownup version of the bulldog which has proven to work very well offroad

https://www.bowlermotors.com/bowler-cars/bowler-bulldog/

https://www.bowlermotors.com/cars/2018-bowler-bulldog/

Edited by RedLineMike
  • Like 1

I was judging off the front wing being uncut under the spats, which makes me suspect articulation is very limited.  Certainly, the stiffer and lower suspension this will need will have less flex than a standard Defender, so it’s ability off road is compromised, even if it’s good on a comp safari track.  I have no issue with people making it or buying it - it all helps people keep jobs and folk can spend their money on whatever makes them happy.  I just don’t understand the point of such a compromised vehicle, not race car nor off roader nor utility.  I can’t see them being used in competition like the original Bowlers, which  serve a purpose.  But some people can’t understand why we like Land Rovers generally, being content with an efficient but utterly dull euro box...

10 hours ago, Snagger said:

I was judging off the front wing being uncut under the spats, which makes me suspect articulation is very limited.  Certainly, the stiffer and lower suspension this will need will have less flex than a standard Defender, so it’s ability off road is compromised, even if it’s good on a comp safari track.  

Computer generated model looks to be independent suspension all round. Compromise has probably been biased more towards on-road & handling than serious off-road capability. I'm sure there are other vehicles to consider in the £200K+ price bracket if serious off-road capability is foremost.

8 minutes ago, DaveSIIA said:

Computer generated model looks to be independent suspension all round. Compromise has probably been biased more towards on-road & handling than serious off-road capability. I'm sure there are other vehicles to consider in the £200K+ price bracket if serious off-road capability is foremost.

They're Range Rover subframes, or possibly Bowlers own versions that they use in some of the Bulldog race cars.