Smart battery chargers

ianmayco68

Hi all , I’ve done a search and came across some old threads about these but thought I’d ask before spending my hard earned . There seems to be 2 makes that stand out C-Tek and Optimate unless someone knows of another brand , the C-tek  mxs 5 or 10 not sure on which model of Optimate is best but I do like the idea of the HD lead that you can leave attached to the battery and just connect the charger too . I have also read that some people have had problems with the buttons on the c-tek ones . 

So thoughts and recommendations please gentleman budget is up to £150 don’t think I need the most expensive ones as I’ve got my Christmas money burning a hole in my pocket and need to buy something useful before the hobgoblin comes on offer :hysterical: . I definitely know I want the reconditioning feature on it for old batteries.

cheers Ian 

I like the Ctek chargers, I have one permanently installed in the camper van. The best price I've found for Ctek chargers is from Halfords with a trade card. I've decided I want to get a Ctek MSX10 for the workshop, which is on their website at £93.20 with the trade card but it's out of stock at the moment.

• Like 1

Yes I'd read that one @ThreePointFive , that's what put me onto the dodgy buttons . I 'd like more info about the Optimate ones and I know a few on here have them and from looking at the specs seem as good as the c-tek ones but they never seem to appear in the charger tests on line .

Just had a look on Halfords website the mxs 10's aren't listed anymore .

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread. My £10 Halfords battery charger is no longer living up to its name and needs replacement.

My use will be

- Large LR sized normal batteries

- Large AGM Batteries (Range Rover and Porsche)

-Large old neglected batteries on the various tractors/forklift etc that sit around for ages getting discharged if I forget

The current CTEK option that appears to match this remit is the MXS 7.0 UK. What would people recommend?

9 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

Resurrecting this old thread. My £10 Halfords battery charger is no longer living up to its name and needs replacement.

Funnily enough, the same happened to mine mentioned in my post above. It died, but it made sure to take a battery with it on the way out.

I now have a C-Tek MSX10. Seems to work.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have just realised that NOCO do smart chargers too and quite a bit cheaper than the CTEK. I have one of the 150AMP jump starts from them and use it every week. Has proven to be faultless

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NOCO-GENIUS10UK-Fully-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B0828H7PNP?ref_=ast_sto_dp

Hmm decisions!

If you are patient, wanted to save money, and you don’t need the big amps….  you could look at the Lidl ones ?

I have one of the original Ctek chargers and I’m not even sure it’s 1 amp?  And it does all my Land Rover batteries….. just not quickly ! 

26 minutes ago, Anderzander said:

If you are patient, wanted to save money, and you don’t need the big amps….  you could look at the Lidl ones ?

I only fit 1 of those 3 criteria  - being tight and wanting to save money lol!

Happy to spend £100 on something that will save me buying new batteries but obviously don't want to waste money if there is something just as good that is cheaper

I actually bought a ctek "CT5 time to go" charger from Lidl. That was earlier this year and cost £29.99. I thought it odd that they had the ctek brand on sale but have since read (though no idea if it's true) that ctek make the Lidl chargers?

• Like 1

I'm very happy with my CTek. For your use I'd say 5.0, 7.0 or 10, depending on the size of batteries you usually deal with.

The cheaper ones from Lidl etc will have a hard time dealing with large batteries. And I've known them to kill batteries when left on trickle. Something I'd never worry about with a Ctek, but don't do anyway.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Escape said:

And I've known them to kill batteries when left on trickle

Yup, my cheapo charger I'm pretty sure killed a battery. And then itself.

Very happy with the C-Tek MXS10 I have now. I have the extra bolt-on plug that comes with it hardwired in, so just plug it in and top off the battery if the car has been standing for a bit.

• Like 1

I have the impression that the C-Teks are better at recovering deeply discharged (desulphating) batteries than the cheaper ones. I've have 2 that are at least 15 years old, and one does have the button issues, but still works with a bit of clicking.

• Like 1

I have a Ctek 5.0 which developed the button issue and I couldn’t get it to click round the settings. It was a few weeks away from five years old, the guarantee limit. The seller (on eBay) promised to replace if Ctek authorised and that’s what happened.

So whilst under the guarantee, I’d periodically check that the button works!

• Like 1

I reckon these are a pretty versatile bet as smart battery chargers as well as a few other functions...

DPS-PSU.jpg.69f30c03383f9bf760a0cfe7143fab20.jpg

Set a target float voltage and a current limit and let it run. Can power the unit from whatever old laptop or other PSU you've got kicking around as long as it's about 15v or higher. There's serial/USB & bluetooth interfaces available, and some tinkerer has already released open-source software for them. There's also ready-made cases with mains inputs for them.

The boost (step-up) capable ones (which are rarer but out there) can take anything from about 8-50V in and make any voltage from about 0-40v output so you can controllably charge one battery from another, ideal for an all-purpose expedition power supply.

Another vote for CTEK 5.0 - I've charged all sorts of batteries with it, all land rover type and its done the odd horse box type truck and tractor battery. They seem really good for deeply defunked batteries that other chargers just wont register.

The NOCO turned up and I have just put it on a very dead D3 (stood for 2 years) as an experiment. It is quite compact but heavy for it's size which is reassuring that there are some decent quality components in there.

On impulse I also ordered one of these battery testers from Topdon but It was missed from my Amazon drop off and they have refunded. Has anyone got any experience of them before I reorder?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Topdon-BT200-100-2000CCA-Professional-Diagnostics/dp/B08LGZQ2N7/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=LOBG0KVUPNF9&keywords=topdon+battery&qid=1678461290&sprefix=topdon+battery%2Caps%2C93&sr=8-1-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY&psc=1