When to sell

I have owned my 300TDI for 19 years now and at the moment could probably sell it for about twice that I paid for it as prices continue to rise but with electric vehicles being forced upon us I wonder when the time will come that the prices start to drop and the Defender eventually gets "cancelled" and becomes worthless.

I can't see them coming down in my opinion. You can't get anything else quite like them and good ones are in demand. I have to admit that I went to see a lovely Td5 110 station wagon. The owner had so much interest he upped the asking price. 

• Confused 1

I think much will depend on the new daily car tax in different areas. Having to pay a daily fee will reduce the value of any affected vehicle. 

As people become p****d off with paying they may be less inclined to keep it.  This in turn could lead to more on the market with any prospective buyer subject to the same daily tax which will have an impact on value. 

The problem with value of anything like this is that you don't know when the change will occur or how quickly it will change. 

The difficult thing to assess with a Defender is its iconic/classic status. It may be that the "daily driver" vehicles become worth less but "drive occasionally" toys increase.

My defender is 30 years old this year.  That leaves me 10 years to historic status. I am just outside Greater Manchester and am hoping Lancashire won't hit us with the same tax so at least I can drive it near where I live for at least another few years.

As I already have my defender I intend to keep it, but if I didn't have one I am not sure I would be looking for one with the current prospect of a daily tax.

I personally feel defenders are way over priced anyway,  so a drop in price would not surprise me. Obviously as I have one I don't want prices to drop but I can see it happening. My defender is far from pristine so it ain't gona gave collectors swarming all over it!!

20 minutes ago, steve b said:

What exactly are you talking about here ? 

Steve 

I think he is referring to the clean air zones that are popping up in some cities across the country like mushrooms because a few quid can be made from them. 

I don’t see it being cancelled. Expensive for city centres yes but is city center really the place for them. The question is who is buying them and why. Series 1s aren’t getting any cheaper. 

I try not to play the what if game too much. If I’m happy with the price at that moment then it is what it is. Double your money is not a shabby return.

So just pay the fee when you go to ikea ?

it’s not unusual to pay for parking to go into city centres, this is some on top. 

The goal is to have air that’s not dangerous to breathe so in the absence of a better idea to do that as long as the goal posts are moved with enough warning and options and are available seems a way to go to me. 

• Like 1

IKEA is just an example. I feel I pay far too much in taxes and fees as it is, and yes you mention parking, just because we are charged for that is no reason to add on even more charges. Yes to improving air quality, but I think there are better ways to do it such as improvements to public transport to temp people to use it.

Luckily I haven't lived in a city for years, but if I did and then had to pay another fee to own the car I want is just unacceptable. 

• Like 2

Think about everyone who lives within the north and south circular. Chairman Khan has just extended the ULEZ and causing issues for everyone who already lives and works in that area. Many cant afford to just chuck away existing vehicles (and thats really green) and buy new ones because he has now made them non compliant overnight....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Completely agree Richard. It's a slippery slope, I don't think we should just accept it being rolled out across the country. If they are serious about air quality then they would actually sort out alternatives to cars that really would make a difference rather than pushing the issue elsewhere. Anyway, rant over. 

• Like 1

I haven't enjoyed mine for years, as its sat on the drive with no engine and wheels off for years, too many other things to do !

I do keep thinking of selling it, as I would easily double (or better) my money, but the money has been spent and gone, so it doesnt matter, and I know I would not be able to afford another one. I dont NEED the money, so it can stay where it is. If it becomes worthless, I have only lost the £1200 I bought it for ten years ago.

Like has been said, I am not sure that these asking prices are acheived, unless the vehicle is almost perfect, or a bespoke thing, but generally they are up, and continuing that way, for now. But who knows what the future will bring ? Remember the classic car price collapse in the late Nineties.

I collected a gearbox from a member here in Bath. Unbeknown to me, they have a clean air zone on the A36, which you have to use if you are just passing through the town, so I got collared and was very dischuffed.  

32 minutes ago, smallfry said:

Like has been said, I am not sure that these asking prices are acheived, unless the vehicle is almost perfect, or a bespoke thing, but generally they are up, and continuing that way, for now. But who knows what the future will bring ? Remember the classic car price collapse in the late Nineties.

I spend a fair amount of time watching the market - not sure why as I have no intention to buy - and I think this nails it. In general, cars have to be very special in some way to acheive the stupid prices. In general, most TDCis are in the mid/late 20s with 110 CSWs specifically getting about £32-35 or thereabouts. That said, I saw a 90 achieve 40 a few weeks ago which completely blew my understanding out of the water.

A key thing to remember is that money isn't worth as much as it was 10-20 years ago, inflation is a real thing. Once you account for that, and the general increase in car prices, it starts to make some sense.

For me, I spent so much on my car there's no way it's worth anywhere near to sell on. I should have returned it to completely standard for a V8 CSW 90 and sold it for £25k, but once I blew the spider gears out ofthe diff pan, it was never going to be a matching-numbers car. My plan is just to drive it until it's taxed off the road.

10 hours ago, smallfry said:

I haven't enjoyed mine for years, as its sat on the drive with no engine and wheels off for years, too many other things to do !

I do keep thinking of selling it, as I would easily double (or better) my money, but the money has been spent and gone, so it doesnt matter, and I know I would not be able to afford another one. I dont NEED the money, so it can stay where it is. If it becomes worthless, I have only lost the £1200 I bought it for ten years ago.

I collected a gearbox from a member here in Bath. Unbeknown to me, they have a clean air zone on the A36, which you have to use if you are just passing through the town, so I got collared and was very dischuffed.  

WHat were you driving?