Manual / Auto thoughts and help required

Hello all,

1st, I have a genuine 1985 LR V8 90 with a Factory fitted LT85 Gearbox and the 3.5 V8 gone and a 5.2 full race Jon Eales Triple Plenum V8 in its place

Prob is the clutch has exploded and will need complete replacement ..

My thoughts have turned to an auto....and this is an area I have f all knowledge in so asking here for input and thoughts to various Questions

Q1 the 5.2 chucks out 342 BHP at 7250 RPM and near 400 Ft Lbs max torque

will a ZF22 cope with it?....equally will a ZF22 with ZF 24 stronger internals special build cope either ?

Q2 Is the length of the auto unit ZF22/24 combo similar / longer / shorter than the standard LT85 ?

Q3 Other than "Shifter positioning fun" will the auto fit under the Panel work / tunnel etc ?

Q4 Is the ZF whichever wider of dimensionally that different to mean I would have to remake parts of the exhaust to fit, as its a custom made big bore system, guess this links to Q2 ??

Q5 Are all ZF22/24 combo using the same shifter kit position etc or are RR  and say disco units different ?

..............and finally what else might I need to think over ?

or

Do I just put a new unit n there ....just I quite fancy an auto ......

No, I don't want a TF 727 as they sap power and are only 3 speed :D

Nige

Changed mine from lt85 to zf auto and the tunnel was different and you need different high low linkage. I can do pictures if zf out of a classic would be the same size as you are thinking.  Mine had v8 engine mount position and I didn’t change anything putting the auto in.

And yet you are planning to do the same to your Discovery, David!

They certainly have their place.  Driving around town over here in a manual, with all the traffic and horribly planned junctions would be a slog in a manual.  Driving in town in Seattle, having visited that friend with the Cummins 90 and Tdi 109SW, with all the hills and junctions would be a pain, with dozens of steep hill starts to deal with, so no wonder he is debating a ZF for them both.  Then there is the rapid changes when driving in boggy conditions or soft sand.  But the lack of acceleration is very annoying when you need to overtake, and I don’t think I’d like the loss of engine braking down hill.

• Like 1

Auto. Much better. The only real reason to have a 4hp22 upgraded with 4hp24 internals, is to retain the hydraulic control. Much better to use the whole 4hp24 (with different output shaft is necessary)and use Compushift or similar for full electronic programmable control.

Might have had 342hp and 400lbs when built, but now your camshaft is worn out broken in, you may as well install an alloy block BMW M57 LCE diesel, which will out accelerate it easily, more power, more torque, and give you more MPG. It can come with a 6HP26 which you will struggle to break. Only needs an adaptor to the transfer box and a standalone ECU loom. Apart from the engine mounts and exhaust, its all standard parts. 

Do a search on L322 gearbox failures. They have about 300hp with a ZF24. If you still want an auto after this I can only conclude you are deranged.

What clutch are you using?

I would look at adapting an AP racing clutch or similar. 

Daan

• Like 1

I'd look at what you want to do with the vehicle.

Off road a manual is better - far more control unless in sand

Street racing - manual is better

Ultraboring 4x4  - auto is better, with cruise control

Asda Car Park - Auto is better, with a line lock to allow for better burn outs

Driving like a twonk - who cares

If it was me, I'd go for a manual, and I actually like Auto's

This thread doesn't stand a chance.

Some folks like manuals, some folks like autos, both have pros & cons, both can be made to do whatever you want, so pick whatever you like and go with it.

There is no right answer - just like the 1000 other times this argument has come up.

6 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

This thread doesn't stand a chance.

Some folks like manuals, some folks like autos, both have pros & cons, both can be made to do whatever you want, so pick whatever you like and go with it.

There is no right answer - just like the 1000 other times this argument has come up.

Who are you. What have you done with fridge! Start talking like that you'll be liking diesels next.

Personally putting an auto behind your engine seems a crying shame. Just sort the clutch. Gearbox if you need to.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Daan said:

Do a search on L322 gearbox failures. They have about 300hp with a ZF24. If you still want an auto after this I can only conclude you are deranged.

Daan

“F” 😬😬😬😬😬😬😬🥺

3 hours ago, Daan said:

Daan

That will be the 5hp24. Different type of lightweight geartrain and quite frankly, rubbish.