Driving with rear door open

Mossberg

Does anyone know the law about driving with the rear door open on a Defender? I am looking to pick a table up but fear it may not quite fit inside. I will take roof bars so that is an option but not sure how easy it is going to be to get it up there. The door at worst will be open to 90 degrees so ooverhanging the back by 900mm approx (table only sticking out by 100mm max). I would secure both load and door but don't want pulling by the police and given a fine/points. Journey will be about 7 miles/20 minutes on A or B roads

Edited by Mossberg

I don't see a problem with it providing everything is secure I have done similar many times, it's no different to over hanging ladders etc. The police will only be interested if it's an obvious safety hazard to other road users, tape a white rag on the edge of the door so it will flap around and be more noticeable by other drivers so they can adjust their distance accordingly

Regards Stephen

• Like 1

As above I can't really see it being an issue along as nothing can fall out. You will want to crack the vent flaps a notch or two to stop exhaust fumes being pulled back in the cabin.

• Like 1

You'll only get stopped if they deem you to be a risk to other drivers/pedestrians etc

So make sure it's obviously secure, run with your windows down, hang a white rag on the outermost edge of the door (or a high viz vest) and drive like it was Miss Daisy

• Like 1

2 hours ago, muddy said:

I have just stumbled across this 16' ifor whilst looking for something else, granted it was through Bradford which does have its own special traffic system however any plod I saw strongly avoided eye contact and the journey was rather un eventful. I had upgraded to the hi vis coat for allll the safety.

IMG_4178.thumb.jpeg.d83f2fa1186c45365d58e68d0737fa52.jpeg

I think you need to learn how to use the bit here....🙃

.image.png.1e1a8a410cad7ad3c288fd4fd44c2dbc.png

• Haha 2

Back on topic, if the table is only about 10cm too long, can't you put it on its side and too the left? That way the door only needs to be left open a bit instead of all the way. If leaving it open all the way, it might be wise to take off the spare (if fitted) to reduce the load on the hinges and have less weight potentially flapping about.

• Like 1

Apart from the obvious precautions regarding sucking in fumes, and making sure nothing can fall out, I would be more concerned about the spare wheel weight pulling on the hinges and possibly breaking them or the door itself. Unless it is mounted on a swingaway type carrier, I would be inclined to take it off and put it inside.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, landroversforever said:

The irony being before they removed the trailer test requirement, in the back is the only way I'd be able to move it, even with the trailer empty! Which, whilst not dangerous, is far harder work than just towing it. 

Very true. At one point when I had my C license but not the C+E I could drive a 32 ton Rigid but not legally tow the mini digger trailer behind the 90! Used it as an excellent excuse to get the full C+E entitlement

• Like 2

Copied from another forum where I found it when I had the same problem, putting a kitchen worktop in the back of the D3.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Length of Projection: Not exceeding 1 metre
Action if load projects rearwards: No requirements specified
Action if load projects forwards: No requirements specified

Length of Projection: More than 1 metre, but not exceeding 2 metres
Action if load projects rearwards: End must be made clearly visible
Action if load projects forwards: No requirements specified

Length of Projection: More than 2 metres, but not exceeding 3.05 metres
Action if load projects rearwards: Marker boards required
Action if load projects forwards: Attendant and marker boards required

Length of Projection: Exceeding 3.05 metres
Action if load projects rearwards: Two clear working days notice to Police; attendant and marker boards required
Action if load projects forwards: Two clear working days notice to Police; attendant and marker boards required

These requirements are set out in Regulation 82(7) of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 (C&U).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amazingly, just because someone said it on the interwebz doesn't automatically make it true (not even FB apparently!), but if you're worried you can look up C&U and check it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Veering OT, there was recently a video doing the rounds on my feeds showing a gullwing car (McLaren?) driving along unintentionally with a door open. Then it tried to pass a bus. 

It's a Tesla. Of course I didn't laugh.... Much. :hysterical:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Peaklander said:

Veering OT, there was recently a video doing the rounds on my feeds showing a gullwing car (McLaren?) driving along unintentionally with a door open. Then it tried to pass a bus. 

Thougjt it was a Tesla & open gullwing door creamed a double decker. 

Video on YouTube - - for our entertainment 

• Haha 1

I have to wonder if someone who is unaware of an open gullwing door should be driving at all? 

....also, where are the electronic fail safe's to stop movement at anything more than a slow walking pace with the door up?? 

Steve

• Like 2

Well I purchased the welding table and the seller kindly agreed to deliver it for me within the price, so saved all the messing about  - and I am very happy with the table as its on four casters with two locking. Its not overly heavy build but will make life much easier as I tend to weld outside the garage and will probably alter it so I can easily fix the vice to it. 48 inch x 32 inch x 32 high. I think it has been designed to fit a Euro pallet on it, hence the tabs on the corners, but they will be coming off so its just a flat top. Only a 3mm top unfortunately but I have a 600x600x10mm plate I can lay on it when I need it heavier - at least the height will save me having to work on the ground. I will fit a board shelf under it too so I can keep some of the gear on there that would be strewn around the floor normally as that will make for a quick retreat into the garage when it starts raining!!

Thanks for all your help folks, it really is appreciated.

Weldingtable.jpg.2a39b765e6155820c2c4b792bf8922f3.jpg

2 hours ago, steve b said:

I have to wonder if someone who is unaware of an open gullwing door should be driving at all? 

....also, where are the electronic fail safe's to stop movement at anything more than a slow walking pace with the door up?? 

Steve

Going to be an interesting case for the insurance company.