Up to date body off respray costs

Kingfish

Bought my 110 HCPU 4 years a go and the guy i purchased it from had given it a fairly poor spray job and now the paint is all peeling off. Had a mate respray a pair of new doors and he did a good job even though the colour matching wasn't quite right but not sure he can cope with a full strip down and respray. From looking at past forum topics and on other forums £4-6K 3 years ago would of seem to be about right, but now as I'm sure your all aware everything is a lot more expensive. Anyone got any idea what an up to date pricing for a full body off (including bulkhead) professional respray would cost? I'm based just outside of Ipswich in Suffolk if anyone can recommend a good bodyshop also?

Land Rover HCPU.jpeg

Respray in the same colour?

2k or synthetic enamel? 

It's a sizeable job to paint as stripped down parts and if you're going that far will the front inner arches and BH get galvanised before paint? 

I'm about to do a BH change on an on the road 90sw and the replacement BH is refurb'd , galv'd and painted body colour - the galv and paint (2k) came to just under £750...

pm me if you would like to meet up for a chat, I'm not far from you in mid-Suffolk.

I'm also in the middle of an 88 2a new chassis build and a 110sw new chassis/major refurb including galvanising the original BH.

Steve

I did an apprenticeship Body and Paint back in the late 70s, so am completely out of touch with prices, but they do seem to be absolutely outrageous now. Even the figures you quoted, I'm bu**ered if I would even consider paying that. Not for a Land Rover.

You say body off strip down. Do you mean into component pieces ? This in itself will cost a lot of money, and I dont think many, if any, bodyshops will want to do that, as it takes a LOT of time, and a LOT of space. If this is what you want, then its best if you strip it yourself and take the cleaned bits to them. Will still be expensive though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve b said:

Respray in the same colour?

2k or synthetic enamel? 

It's a sizeable job to paint as stripped down parts and if you're going that far will the front inner arches and BH get galvanised before paint? 

I'm about to do a BH change on an on the road 90sw and the replacement BH is refurb'd , galv'd and painted body colour - the galv and paint (2k) came to just under £750...

pm me if you would like to meet up for a chat, I'm not far from you in mid-Suffolk.

I'm also in the middle of an 88 2a new chassis build and a 110sw new chassis/major refurb including galvanising the original BH.

Steve

Hi Steve, respray a different colour, I'm thinking spray it to look like a stage 1, with an off white (not sure of the name of the paint) on the cab and the rest of the body in Epsom Green preferably in 2k.

Hadn't thought about inner wings 🤔

Where in Mid-Suffolk are you? 

1 hour ago, smallfry said:

I did an apprenticeship Body and Paint back in the late 70s, so am completely out of touch with prices, but they do seem to be absolutely outrageous now. Even the figures you quoted, I'm bu**ered if I would even consider paying that. Not for a Land Rover.

You say body off strip down. Do you mean into component pieces ? This in itself will cost a lot of money, and I dont think many, if any, bodyshops will want to do that, as it takes a LOT of time, and a LOT of space. If this is what you want, then it's best if you strip it yourself and take the cleaned bits to them. Will still be expensive though.

Prices are better for Land Rovers than they used to be and I've had Mitsubishis, Nissans and even Fords and none of them have compared to a good well maintained Landy. I don't mind spending money on it, if it benefits me and my work, I certainly don't see myself getting rid of it. 

Yeah, I'm aware I'm not going to be a small job and would probably be cheaper if I did the strip down. But it's used daily for my business and I can't not have it for weeks on end. 

4 hours ago, Kingfish said:

Hi Steve, respray a different colour, I'm thinking spray it to look like a stage 1, with an off white (not sure of the name of the paint) on the cab and the rest of the body in Epsom Green preferably in 2k.

Hadn't thought about inner wings 🤔

Where in Mid-Suffolk are you? 

The off-white roof and wheel colour on Series vehicles is called Limestone. Anderzander will tell you all about it. 😉

• Haha 2

How long is a bit of string, it all boils down to the quality of finish required. Preparation is key, it is both labour intensive and time consuming especially if repairs are required and if existing finishes require removal or isolating, door shuts and other less obvious areas require prep and masking too. Materials are expensive as is the gear to apply and provide the right environment to get a good finish, then there is the skill of the man doing the job to pay for. None of this is cheap and it's easy to rack up a big bill. That said it is possible to get a reasonable finish using suitable paint and rollers / brushes but prep is still key.

10 hours ago, tommi said:

Recently got a few quotes for a full respray of a 90 - between £6 - £12k… most places insisted on it being media blasted back to bare aluminium too. 

Kind regards,

Tom

Wow, love to know what you get for 12k, may as well buy another Land Rover for that sort of money 

I'd be happy with those prices.... Here in FR it is even worse.

Like everybody said, preparation is everything....

The sanding etc. takes ages....

image.png.ad97f95a4a24e4eb43995a18bcce63df.png

The Mrs. did the 110.

.... and she will have to do the Series next year....

• Like 1

It cost me about £2.5k to get the 90 panels done in 2021, individually as the vehicle was stripped down. They could have done a better job as there are runs in a few places and some cracking/crazing in places. They also only did the outside of the panels as I was doing the inside myself.

I’d expect to pay £4-5k for a proper high quality respray. And in reality you could buy the proper kit and have a go yourself for a hell of a lot less, which leaves a lot of spare for a few tries while you learn. But you’ll need the luxury of space and time. 

47 minutes ago, Retroanaconda said:

It cost me about £2.5k to get the 90 panels done in 2021, individually as the vehicle was stripped down. They could have done a better job as there are runs in a few places and some cracking/crazing in places. They also only did the outside of the panels as I was doing the inside myself.

I’d expect to pay £4-5k for a proper high quality respray. And in reality you could buy the proper kit and have a go yourself for a hell of a lot less, which leaves a lot of spare for a few tries while you learn. But you’ll need the luxury of space and time. 

What puts me off is getting the breathing gear wrong and killing myself with the 2k paints. What are folk using for breathing masks ?

15 minutes ago, reb78 said:

What puts me off is getting the breathing gear wrong and killing myself with the 2k paints. What are folk using for breathing masks ?

I do mine outside under a gazebo with a  North respirator. Wouldnt do 2K indoors unless you have proper extraction and an air fed mask.

I live in the country so its not bothering anyone. I wouldnt use 2K if I lived in suburbia though. I use HVLP which produces less overspray anyway, but the trouble with 2K is that the overspray does not flash quickly like cellulose does, so it could stick to your neighbours car/window frames/cat.

I do this for a living and all I'll say is you'll get what you pay for.  You need to decide what finish you're chasing and work to your budget. If you want it to look mint, 5-6k isn't really going to cut it unless your bodywork at the moment is very straight with no bubbling and you're not doing a colour change (ie inside/outside).

The majority of the time/money is spent on prep, so do as much of this as possible, though bare in mind the painter is unlikely to trust your work before he covers it in expensive 2k paint so don'tgo too far.  But if you have a dented bonnet, wings, rotten doors etc, swap these for better items if poss. Take off winches, accessories, remove carpets, even wheel arches and clean it till it's spotless.  

If you're happy with a more agricultural finish however, there are plenty of shops out there that will quickly flat, mask and spray it for a budget price but you'll be back where you are now with peeling paint. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Eightpot said:

I do this for a living and all I'll say is you'll get what you pay for.  You need to decide what finish you're chasing and work to your budget. If you want it to look mint, 5-6k isn't really going to cut it unless your bodywork at the moment is very straight with no bubbling and you're not doing a colour change (ie inside/outside).

The majority of the time/money is spent on prep, so do as much of this as possible, though bare in mind the painter is unlikely to trust your work before he covers it in expensive 2k paint so don'tgo too far.  But if you have a dented bonnet, wings, rotten doors etc, swap these for better items if poss. Take off winches, accessories, remove carpets, even wheel arches and clean it till it's spotless.  

If you're happy with a more agricultural finish however, there are plenty of shops out there that will quickly flat, mask and spray it for a budget price but you'll be back where you are now with peeling paint. 

Thankyou Eightpot, sound advice. 

• 5 months later...
On 8/13/2023 at 5:10 PM, Eightpot said:

The majority of the time/money is spent on prep, so do as much of this as possible, though bare in mind the painter is unlikely to trust your work before he covers it in expensive 2k paint so don't go too far.  But if you have a dented bonnet, wings, rotten doors etc, swap these for better items if poss. Take off winches, accessories, remove carpets, even wheel arches and clean it till it's spotless.  

I was just researching resprays for Land Rovers too and saw your post! I have a Defender 90 that I'd very much like to have resprayed. Same colour as it is now,  I note you're also in worcestershire, my part of the world! Is this something I could come and see you about please? You seem to know your onions! 

1 hour ago, Now then our kid said:

I was just researching resprays for Land Rovers too and saw your post! I have a Defender 90 that I'd very much like to have resprayed. Same colour as it is now,  I note you're also in worcestershire, my part of the world! Is this something I could come and see you about please? You seem to know your onions! 

Please negotiate via the Private Message fscity on here or by email.