Another Chinese copy

Looks like they're about to flood a lot of cheap EV's into the market too - will be interesting to see how long any of their stuff lasts, if nothing else I'm looking forward to a lot of cheap parts donors for EV conversions.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Think much of the public has, especially outside London. 

The UK is one of the few countries in Europe that doesn’t incentivize move to EV vehicles and it’s still growing, stats show a different story to the Daily Mail headlines, with EV up 17.8% and PHEV up 39.3% in 2023. January 2024 was even higher with EV up 21.1% and PHEV up 31%. Used car sales for 2023 also up. The only thing holding up increased EV take up is high cost of vehicles and charging infrastructure, both options at people’s homes and on the move.

As for China flooding market with ‘cheap’ EV’s, MG who is the largest Chinese EV seller in UK sells a car that retails in it’s home market for £17K for £34K in UK. It doesn’t cost an additional £17K to ship it, and extra duties, so there’s currently quite a bit of profiteering going on in UK market.

IMG_3254.thumb.png.d49833b56f2ca89b2ab85e93283f0e51.png

Used car sales in 2023…

IMG_3252.png.2be85f3865ada86ebb2f75efaefe5bbf.png

Sales of hybrid electric and plug-in hybrid electric cars were also strong, up by 40.0% and 25.1% respectively and, collectively, electrified vehicles represented 5.6% of the market – up from 4.0% in 2022. Diesel and petrol, however, remained the most dominant fuel types, with a total of 6,827,466 units changing hands – 94.3% of the overall market.2

https://www.smmt.co.uk/2024/01/new-car-market-delivers-best-year-since-2019-as-fleets-fuel-growth/

https://www.smmt.co.uk/2024/02/uk-reaches-million-ev-milestone-as-new-car-market-grows/

IMG_3256.thumb.png.0d566be3a7726796c70ac8c7f38b3879.png

IMG_3255.png

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SteveG said:

The UK is one of the few countries in Europe that doesn’t incentivize move to EV vehicles and it’s still growing,

Er, really? 

We've had massive subsidies, clean air zones, sustained fuel duty, exemption from congestion charges and zero licence costs. 

Whilst they are reducing, the ev manufacturers are still being propped up with tax payer funds. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Retroanaconda said:

gas lighting

Seems they're still doing that, in a fashion:

3 hours ago, SteveG said:

...sells a car that retails in it’s home market for £17K for £34K in UK. 

The Chinese are on a roll and not necessarily copying anyone any more (I mean, you could accuse every manufacturer of copying, with the same sort of logic).  The Aussie press puts out a lot of information about them and it seems they are becoming genuinely desirable - or at least no less desirable than anything else these days, which is the key point.  Check out the GWM Tank 300 as a good example.  Well made, decent credentials off-road (including diff lock) and fairly practical.  Give it five years and they will dominate large sections of the international market, like it or not.  Ironically, it won't be a relatively low price that makes them popular either.

Those stats are not as reliable as they seem. A lot of registrations are by dealers etc, forced on by the manufactures, not actual sales to the public. Over here, a large leasing company has recently acquired a huge parking lot and all but admitted it will be used to store new EVs because they can't find customers to shift them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 8:39 AM, Snagger said:

Can China make anything completely original?

Why make new when you can save a heap of cash just copying what someone had done already.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Maverik said:

Why make new when you can save a heap of cash just copying what someone had done already.

Why make new, when you can take someone else's design and improve on it. I have no real interest in new cars. I've bought 2 brand new vehicles in my life ( a VW Polo in 1989 and a Bedford Brava in 1989) both to offset tax. I'll never do it again.  But I'm a big fan of stuff the Foreign chaps made from reverse engineering, then made better.  Such as the Datsun/Nissan straight six (Triumph) or the gorgeous Nissan in line five two stroke diesel (Gardener). The far est will produce whatever is asked of them, to the quality we are willing to pay for.

Many things, including cars are made from internationally sourced parts, that Made in the UK or Made in Murica are really 'Assembled in..."

Not going to talk about EV's