Rather Steep

Troddenmasses

There was a recent article in one of the mags (LRO I think) about the Lions Back

Serious butt-pucker factor I reckon!! But I agree - you'd be wanting the guy behind you to wait at the top until you got to the bottom I think.... especially if you'd seen that video (I didn't download the link but I'm assuming its the same one of the Chevy Blazer bouncing airborne a couple of times then going off the side?)

QUOTE(JST @ Nov 25 2005, 08:39 AM) *

you reckon an underdrive would be any good or too slow.

presuming traction was maintained all the way down that is.

For the person in the video, I reckon being in gear might have been a good start.

The problem with the crashing one was and I don't know if this is standard practise in America, was they were using there brakes to control there descent. Instead of using the engine and gearing.

The brakes over heatedand gave way! the video showed the result..

I would have thought that bit at the bottom would have a SWB vehicle like a 90 in serious danger of going end over end...? Not sure what the gradient would be but from other photos I have seen the bit at the top looks to be near 45 deg so the bit at the bottom must be more than that...

I guess its one of those places where as you turn to come down, the average American would suddenly wish that not all the vehicles in their country were automatics :lol: in the article in LRO the guy doing the driving (Bill Burke? I think) IIRC said something about putting the transmission into neutral and inching down on the brakes because to have the transmission in gear was trying to push the thing down the hill faster than you wanted to go. I can see fast might be undesirable...

Based on that, I would have thought an underdrive would be excellent, just creep down in 1st low underdrive.

Not sure I would want to try it (up or down) if it was raining though :unsure:

in the article in LRO the guy doing the driving (Bill Burke? I think) IIRC said something about putting the transmission into neutral and inching down on the brakes because to have the transmission in gear was trying to push the thing down the hill faster than you wanted to go. I can see fast might be undesirable...

You can read it in his article about "nuance" of driving:

Coming off of steep steps, sometimes my ring & pinion is not low enough to creep over the edge. I will (YES) PUSH in the CLUTCH and use the brakes to ease the rig over. The brakes will complain, groan, moan, the rig moving only a MILLIMETER at a time. Don’t bounce the rig down with the brakes making the rig rock and bounce. Just VERY, VERY, VERY SLOWLY ease over the edge. SACRILEGE, you say! I say that is another NUANCE of 4-wheeling

I always did that when needed (steps).

I'd be interested to know what you think about (just opinions/experiences,don't say "go buy an underdrive! please :rolleyes: )

Edited by Michele

I saw it on Discovery (think) recently. The owner had already driven up & down, then his wife decided to have a go and lost it due to the seals blowing out on the front calipers being overstressed. The Blazer brakes are split front axle & back axle as opposed to LR which are diagonal.

Apparently they were lucky to hit the only 2 metre square patch of sand for a good distance around, it was her mother that was filming it too :o

Yep both sevived

Owner let his wife drive

at the top the main brake line split and the secondary braking system trid to lock up the back end but was not enough to stop the truck being auto they were lucky to be alive that had broken bones and were very lucky.

Reality TV had a thing on it a few years ago about how they servived

I'd be interested to know what you think about (just opinions/experiences,don't say "go buy an underdrive! please :rolleyes: )

I've never done anything like the Lions Back but I regularly drop down over banks etc inch by inch using the brakes, the thing that is always taught of "feet well away from the pedals and don't touch the brakes whatever you do" is fine up to a point and quite correct in some conditions (slippery but smooth surface for example, where using the brakes just makes you slide) but in many real world situations is a recipe for a crumpled rear fuel tank and/or spinal injuries!

As it happens I measured the "crawl speed" of the 90 on the weekend using the GPS, and idle in 1st low is about 1.7mph (slight fluctuations) but in many cases (dropping down over a 12-18in high bank for example) that seems #kin fast!!!

I think as with any situation you have to be prepared in case something starts to go wrong. I guess in the case of that Blazer there probably wasn't a hell of a lot she could have done on a slope like that, but jamming the auto box down into 1st would have got them to the bottom a bit slower, even if it had over-revved the engine and blew that up half way down.

But it is easy to say that with hindsight, when you're halfway down and something breaks in a situation where you probably already need a change of underwear before the brakes went, I guess the capacity to make calm decisions is probably already handicapped a bit :)

Why do women scream like that? Presumably these people know there is a higher risk tackling something like that than using a 4x4 for the shopping run so why all the hysteria and suprise when an accident actually occurs? :rolleyes:

MOG - it's fun to scream! Try it someday - go on - you might like it ;)

I've never done anything like the Lions Back but I regularly drop down over banks etc inch by inch using the brakes, the thing that is always taught of "feet well away from the pedals and don't touch the brakes whatever you do" is fine up to a point and quite correct in some conditions (slippery but smooth surface for example, where using the brakes just makes you slide) but in many real world situations is a recipe for a crumpled rear fuel tank and/or spinal injuries!

It's been said by plenty of people on this forum that 'stay of the brakes on descents' is poor advice given to newbies, but it's the first time I've seen anyone advocate declutching on a descent (see, what you poor people really need is an automatic :P ).

I have fond memories of a tiny drop on the Billing off road course back in the summer - I was instructing a friend who hadn't driven off road before (bit of the blind leading the blind...). "Right, low range first, stay off the brakes"...nose over the top...sudden drop...BANG!!......"Okay...next time use the brakes" :lol:

His problem is driving EFI V8s. The idle control forces the engine to push at a "high" rpm. A good diesel or carbed V8 doesn't have this problem, IME.