What's this then?

FridgeFreezer

Funnily enough I was looking at that, In that exact spot on Saturday! Defo 110 chassis and running gear.

Suprised you could see anything saturday night , :lol::lol:

yes as Steve said we saw it on the centre of Bristol on sat , Its a 110 chassis and axles not sure what engine??

Its home to a DJ`s rig , 20ltr jerry cans as speakers, Looks good

• 15 years later...

Weirdly a different version of this came up recently - a very old Renault on a land Rover chassis:

https://www.mphfactory.com/conception-vehicules-evenementiels-red-bull/ - You have to click through the little dots under the pictures to find the page

IMG_9957-1024x683.jpg

IMG_9951-1024x683.jpg

It's got presence but I feel like the wings were phoned in, possibly to pass modern regs?

• Like 4

14 hours ago, pat_pending said:

Car body on a Land Rover chassis? how 1980s!

Is Alvin Smith still around?*

*Those of a certain age will know.

I saw his TR7 (on RRC running gear/chassis) race at Peters Pit AWDC years ago . I liked the Strange Rover too. 

Steve

That's it, brings back memories of the 80s, AWDC, Slab common, Bovi' heavy vehicle trials.

Wasn't there a Moggy minor on a series chassis and running gear as well? Not sure who built it.

10 hours ago, Nonimouse said:

I think he is? At least last time I spoke to Robbo, he was. But Robbo has been unwell recently

I suppose we're all knocking on a bit now 😩.

• Sad 1

@Bowie69 why did you have to post that?? My dad's 450SLC has been for sale for years, just taking up space in the Workshop as there are no serious candidates it seems. But I'm sure I can find a rusty old Disco and use that as a donor to give it a new life. 😁 Might even be a good idea to keep the OHC Merc V8 is that's quite grunty.

Mind you, I don't need LR underpinnings to take classics off road. Not by intention (this time) I should add!

image.thumb.jpeg.361683808dedbdf6f8c486bd5b36d717.jpeg

The 'road' got a lot worse for the next half mile or so, and no chance to turn back so I had to push on. And lucky the Lotus managed (just). 🙂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I have recently been going down the rabbit hole of looking online at loads of aero engined specials like 'Brutus' and dreaming of having the funds and time to build something as outrageous!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, FridgeFreezer said:

This entire thread makes me wish I had a much larger workshop and a much larger bank account, so many brilliantly mad vehicles.

I think the golden age of building/modding road going vehicles is gone, maybe not the off roaders though.

I remember an awful lot of crazy stuff being knocked up in lock up's, sheds, and at the roadside, usually with minimal tools.

A mate built a Range Rover/series hybrid (when they were the in thing) in two abandoned council lock up's, with power from a nearby lamp post, another built a chopper in the spare bedroom of a ground floor flat.

Alas, youth and enthusiasm gone and too many regulations today.

I've just remembered, one of our group had a 109 with a six pot Jag' engine in it that was positively dangerous!

• Like 1

I reckon a lot of "mechanical" people don't *think* they understand electronics, but it's all just logic... and if they had it explained and put in some effort, they'd probably understand it more than they think they would be capable of.

I love the simplicity of my Disco 1. It just does what it should.

However, my Daily driver is something I built. Not really super complicated, or "modern", but a 2006 VW Touran 7 seater, with the 3.2 VR6 engine, 6 speed manual and 4WD from a 2006 Golf R32. Because of the CAN-bus systems, wiring changes were fairly simple (for a nerd, like meeeee!), where a non-CAN car probably would have needed 4 or 5 TIMES the number of wires altered.

The advantage of electronics, is that you don't have to modify every single mechanical part or spend hours making things work physically, because electronics can be "fiddled" - like an electronic autobox can be "adjusted" to do what you want, easier than trying to alter governors and valve bodies to get the desired outcome. Changing some code and uploading via USB can be done hundreds of times without much time consumed, but physically adjusting something to see if it works and then changing back and forth ca be painfully time consuming.

• Like 3

Probably.  The trouble is, you need a certain level of knowledge of electronics or software just to be able to learn more or ask the right questions, and many of us don’t have even that foundation.